    program that just declares "trust me but I won't let you see what I'm
    doing", and partly it would be nice to update my home page to reflect the
    changes I've made to the favorites since moving to FF.
    ggull, Jun 5, 2005

  2. ggull

    ggull Guest

    IGNORE Re: Any way to "Export" my Favorites?

    Of course about a minute after sending the previous off, I found the
    solution. I don't know why I didn't think to open the *menus* under
    Bookmarks Manager. It's right there under File>Export... OK, that works,
    creates nice html file. Sorry about that.

    "ggull" <> wrote
    > IE (Boo) has a feature that lets me "export" the favorites (bookmarks) to

    an

    ggull, Jun 5, 2005

  3. ggull

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Re: IGNORE Re: Any way to "Export" my Favorites?

    ggull wrote:

    > Of course about a minute after sending the previous off, I found the
    > solution. I don't know why I didn't think to open the *menus* under
    > Bookmarks Manager. It's right there under File>Export... OK, that works,
    > creates nice html file. Sorry about that.
    >

    > "ggull" <> wrote
    >
    >>IE (Boo) has a feature that lets me "export" the favorites (bookmarks) to

    > an
    >
    >>html file. This gives a nice backup, and also I've found makes a nice

    >>Page.
    >>
    >>Does Firefox have some equivalent?

    Mozilla programs keep your bookmarks (aka favorites) in an HTML file
    called "bookmarks.html". You can open it in any browser. You can copy
    it with your Operating System. You can back it up with your normal
    backup program.

    You do back up your entire Firefox profile every night, right?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jun 5, 2005
  4. ggull

    ggull Guest

    Re: IGNORE Re: Any way to "Export" my Favorites?

    "Ed Mullen" <> wrote

    > Mozilla programs keep your bookmarks (aka favorites) in an HTML file
    > called "bookmarks.html". You can open it in any browser. You can copy
    > it with your Operating System. You can back it up with your normal
    > backup program.

    How old fashioned -- a non-proprietary format available to the ... yeech ...
    user.
    Y'all will never compete with MicroCeph this way :).

    > You do back up your entire Firefox profile every night, right?

    Religiously! oh, wait, I'm not religious.
    Seriously, I only use Firefox, not the whole of Mozilla, and in a primitive
    fashion. I still have to get my brain around the "profile" concept, but
    there doesn't seem to be much beyond the bookmarks that would be a big loss
    if I had to start from scratch.

    > Ed Mullen
    > http://edmullen.net
    > http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html

    BTW, great site! Educational and practical. Thanks.
    ggull, Jun 5, 2005
  5. ggull

    ggull wrote:

    > "Ed Mullen" <> wrote
    >

    >>Mozilla programs keep your bookmarks (aka favorites) in an HTML file
    >>called "bookmarks.html". You can open it in any browser. You can copy
    >>it with your Operating System. You can back it up with your normal
    >>backup program.

    > How old fashioned -- a non-proprietary format available to the ... yeech ...
    > user.
    > Y'all will never compete with MicroCeph this way :).
    >

    >>You do back up your entire Firefox profile every night, right?

    > Religiously! oh, wait, I'm not religious.
    > Seriously, I only use Firefox, not the whole of Mozilla, and in a primitive
    > fashion. I still have to get my brain around the "profile" concept, but
    > there doesn't seem to be much beyond the bookmarks that would be a big loss
    > if I had to start from scratch.

    Take a look at what the different files do and you might change your
    mind about that.

    - http://ilias.ca/mozilla/profilefaq/#files
    - http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html

    Even for someone whose usage is minimal you either have or will make
    changes to settings to configure the program to your liking. Most of
    those are saved in prefs.js. Other quick examples:

    Forms data
    Helper applications
    Cookies
    Window position and display settings

    Entirely up to you of course, but a backup is easy to do and /might/
    save you a hassle somewhere down the road. ;-)

    > BTW, great site! Educational and practical. Thanks.

    Much appreciated, thanks! :)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
    I used to be schizophrenic, but we're all right now.
    Ed Mullen, Jun 5, 2005
  6. ggull

    ggull Guest

    Re: IGNORE Re: Any way to "Export" my Favorites?

    "Ed Mullen" <> wrote ..
    > ggull wrote:
    > > Seriously, I only use Firefox, not the whole of Mozilla, and in a

    primitive
    > > fashion. I still have to get my brain around the "profile" concept, but
    > > there doesn't seem to be much beyond the bookmarks that would be a big

    loss
    > > if I had to start from scratch.

    > Take a look at what the different files do and you might change your
    > mind about that.
    >
    > - http://ilias.ca/mozilla/profilefaq/#files
    > - http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html
    > Even for someone whose usage is minimal you either have or will make
    > changes to settings to configure the program to your liking. Most of
    > those are saved in prefs.js. Other quick examples:
    >
    > Forms data
    > Helper applications
    > Cookies
    > Window position and display settings
    >
    > Entirely up to you of course, but a backup is easy to do and /might/
    > save you a hassle somewhere down the road. ;-)

    I did check out the Metzger and Gemal sites linked from your Profile page.
    (Didn't check the Ilias page, since it was billed as 'to transfer to new
    machine'. That looks good also.) And I did identify the prefs.js file as
    the one other I might want to back up now and then.

    But you're right, I should occasionally copy this stuff to CD, external HD
    or just other location on same HD occasionally just 'cause. But in general,
    what I *really* should do is keep a log of the customizations/modifications
    I make to FireFox, so I know what I've done and *why* instead of blindly
    trusting my previous (and presumably more ignorant) self, and can recreate
    what I've done knowingly if anything goes blooey -- and hopefully I'll do
    that when I move to a new system real-soon-any-day-now.

    cheers,
    gg
    ggull, Jun 6, 2005
  7. ggull

    ggull wrote:

    > "Ed Mullen" <> wrote ..
    >
    >>ggull wrote:
    >>
    >>>Seriously, I only use Firefox, not the whole of Mozilla, and in a

    > primitive
    >
    >>>fashion. I still have to get my brain around the "profile" concept, but
    >>>there doesn't seem to be much beyond the bookmarks that would be a big

    > loss
    >
    >>>if I had to start from scratch.

    >>Take a look at what the different files do and you might change your
    >>mind about that.
    >>
    >>- http://ilias.ca/mozilla/profilefaq/#files
    >>- http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html
    >>Even for someone whose usage is minimal you either have or will make
    >>changes to settings to configure the program to your liking. Most of
    >>those are saved in prefs.js. Other quick examples:
    >>
    >>Forms data
    >>Helper applications
    >>Cookies
    >>Window position and display settings
    >>
    >>Entirely up to you of course, but a backup is easy to do and /might/
    >>save you a hassle somewhere down the road. ;-)

    > I did check out the Metzger and Gemal sites linked from your Profile page.
    > (Didn't check the Ilias page, since it was billed as 'to transfer to new
    > machine'. That looks good also.) And I did identify the prefs.js file as
    > the one other I might want to back up now and then.
    >
    > But you're right, I should occasionally copy this stuff to CD, external HD
    > or just other location on same HD occasionally just 'cause. But in general,
    > what I *really* should do is keep a log of the customizations/modifications
    > I make to FireFox, so I know what I've done and *why* instead of blindly
    > trusting my previous (and presumably more ignorant) self, and can recreate
    > what I've done knowingly if anything goes blooey -- and hopefully I'll do
    > that when I move to a new system real-soon-any-day-now.
    >
    > cheers,
    > gg

    <sarcasm>Geez, you mean you're not like the rest of us and keep an
    up-to-date, all-inclusive list of customizations?!!!</sarcasm> :-D

    Here are various ways to customize FF:

    1. Using the UI (e.g., Tools - Options) - Many of the changes made here
    will show up in about:config and/or prefs.js but I won't guarantee all
    of them will.

    2. about:config - with this one any existing prefs whose values you
    have changed will show in bold so they're not too hard to find and very
    easy to reset to default values or even delete.

    3. Editing the prefs.js file - Not a great idea because there is zero
    indication of what changes, additions, or deletions have been made other
    than comparing the file to a default installation.

    4. Creating a user.js file - Any entries in user.js are written into
    prefs.js on every start of Firefox. So. If you make a change to a
    preference in FF using the first two options above, the next time you
    start FF the user.js prefs will override those changes. However! A
    user.js file is valuable because it is a record of what customizations
    you've made. If you want to back out any of them you can delete (or
    comment them out) them in user.js and in prefs.js.

    5. userChrome.css and userContent.css - Very easy to see what you've
    done, edit or back out of customizations.

    It's not exactly a perfect way to keep track of things but at least this
    will give you an idea of how to approach it. (Hmm. Now, if I could
    only remember where I put that file where I wrote down all those weird
    customizations ...)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
    Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?
    Ed Mullen, Jun 6, 2005
  8. ggull

    ggull Guest

    Re: IGNORE Re: Any way to "Export" my Favorites?

    "Ed Mullen" <> wrote
    > ggull wrote:
    > > But you're right, I should occasionally copy this stuff to CD, external

    HD
    > > or just other location on same HD occasionally[sic] just 'cause. But in

    general,
    > > what I *really* should do is keep a log of the

    customizations/modifications
    > > I make to FireFox, so I know what I've done and *why* ......

    > <sarcasm>Geez, you mean you're not like the rest of us and keep an
    > up-to-date, all-inclusive list of customizations?!!!</sarcasm> :-D

    <wink> Sigh, you've caught me out. OK, so I'm not perfect like the rest of
    you!!
    <\wink>

    > Here are various ways to customize FF:

    <snip list>
    > It's not exactly a perfect way to keep track of things but at least this
    > will give you an idea of how to approach it. (Hmm. Now, if I could
    > only remember where I put that file where I wrote down all those weird
    > customizations ...)

    A lot to think about, but mostly I'm not into a lot of tweaking, and what I
    am would be through the User Interface. Well, maybe a plug-in or two, if I
    ever run across one I really want. A plain old text file log is about my
    speed, and the ultimate (so far) in permanence and portability, and also
    tells *why* I did something; next time I build the installation, I'll often
    as not want to do things differently with the advantage of accrued wisdom.

    (portability: I'm a little bit paranoid. I just found that all the
    word-processing files created with Mega$ applications on my old Win 95/98/Me
    systems are unreadable with the same applications on my new Win XP hottie!!
    to do so requires either a registry hack for WordPad files, or a stand-alone
    viewer one can cut-and-paste from for more complex ones. Obviously Seattle
    needs more psychiatrists now that Frasier has quit.)
    ggull, Jun 7, 2005