    app or technique that can open a Word doc in Pagemaker. Plenty of apps
    convert back and forth from .doc and .pdf, but I'm not finding a Pagemaker
    solution.

    Smokinghawk, Oct 6, 2004

  2. Smokinghawk

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| I'm new to Pagemaker, and I'm trying to determine if there is any
    >| conversion app or technique that can open a Word doc in Pagemaker.
    >| Plenty of apps convert back and forth from .doc and .pdf, but I'm
    >| not finding a Pagemaker solution.

    If I remember correctly, you should be able to "place" them in Pagemaker.
    Another option of course is cut and paste. But to "convert" them, I don't
    think so. I hated Pagemaker - and tossed it & went back to Ventura
    Publisher, since I only do "in-house" work and don't have to be compatible
    with the local printers.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Oct 6, 2004

  3. Smokinghawk

    Smokinghawk Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > >| I'm new to Pagemaker, and I'm trying to determine if there is any
    > >| conversion app or technique that can open a Word doc in Pagemaker.
    > >| Plenty of apps convert back and forth from .doc and .pdf, but I'm
    > >| not finding a Pagemaker solution.

    > If I remember correctly, you should be able to "place" them in Pagemaker.
    > Another option of course is cut and paste. But to "convert" them, I don't
    > think so. I hated Pagemaker - and tossed it & went back to Ventura
    > Publisher, since I only do "in-house" work and don't have to be compatible
    > with the local printers.

    Yes, I can do that but only a page at a time, and the footnotes aren't
    included in a ctrl-A select.

    The only reason I'm trying to get away from Word is that when I'm compiling
    a very large manuscript to format it all at once and write it to a .pdf, the
    sheer number of files (including embedded pictures) triggers the Word "can't
    save" bug: you try to save your master file and Word gives an error that
    "there are too many files open or the disk is full." Which means keep it
    open and do ALL the work at once (because if you close it, you've lost your
    formatted file), or find another application.

    Smokinghawk, Oct 6, 2004
  4. Smokinghawk

    Atreju Guest

    On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 21:56:28 -0500, "Smokinghawk"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm new to Pagemaker, and I'm trying to determine if there is any conversion
    >app or technique that can open a Word doc in Pagemaker. Plenty of apps
    >convert back and forth from .doc and .pdf, but I'm not finding a Pagemaker
    >solution.

    Import the file - Pagemaker has filters for Word docs.

    ---Atreju---

    Atreju, Oct 6, 2004
  5. Smokinghawk

    Atreju Guest

    On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 23:15:46 -0500, "Smokinghawk"
    <> wrote:

    >"Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    >> If I remember correctly, you should be able to "place" them in Pagemaker.
    >> Another option of course is cut and paste. But to "convert" them, I don't
    >> think so. I hated Pagemaker - and tossed it & went back to Ventura
    >> Publisher, since I only do "in-house" work and don't have to be compatible
    >> with the local printers.

    >Yes, I can do that but only a page at a time, and the footnotes aren't
    >included in a ctrl-A select.
    >
    >The only reason I'm trying to get away from Word is that when I'm compiling
    >a very large manuscript to format it all at once and write it to a .pdf, the
    >sheer number of files (including embedded pictures) triggers the Word "can't
    >save" bug: you try to save your master file and Word gives an error that
    >"there are too many files open or the disk is full." Which means keep it
    >open and do ALL the work at once (because if you close it, you've lost your
    >formatted file), or find another application.

    That's because Word is designed for writing letters and resumes, and
    not much else. It is most definitely not a publishing product.

    ---Atreju---

    Atreju, Oct 6, 2004