    start getting spam out the yingyang, or just abandoning the address and
    switching to another one?
    , Nov 26, 2004

  2. Richard Guest

    wrote:

    > I just discovered that my wife, ignoring advice I'd given her forever,
    > posted to one of the most active groups on usenet using her real email
    > address, one that has been spam-free for the five years she's had it.

    > Her posting, address included, is quoted in people's replies to it. And
    > a web-based forum picked that thread up and it's there too.

    > So I'm guessing that the damage is done, right? I mean, she could
    > follow google groups' procedure for removing her post, but that wouldn't
    > remove the posts quoting it, it wouldn't remove the posting from the web
    > forum that picked it up, and the spambots probably already had her
    > address ten seconds after she posted.

    > Still, any way of undoing this, other than either hoping she doesn't
    > start getting spam out the yingyang, or just abandoning the address and
    > switching to another one?

    Not much you can do about it now.
    Since certain spam traps have become so popuplar, the more sophisticated
    "sniffers" easily eliminate them.
    Even your "net.fake" can be easily changed.
    Just remove the "net".
    Once she's been hammered with spam, she'll get the message and use a fake
    account, or get an account with yahoo or somewhere and use that.
    Richard, Nov 27, 2004

  3. SgtMinor Guest

    wrote:
    > I just discovered that my wife, ignoring advice I'd given her forever,
    > posted to one of the most active groups on usenet using her real email
    > address, one that has been spam-free for the five years she's had it.
    >
    > Her posting, address included, is quoted in people's replies to it. And
    > a web-based forum picked that thread up and it's there too.
    >
    > So I'm guessing that the damage is done, right? I mean, she could
    > follow google groups' procedure for removing her post, but that wouldn't
    > remove the posts quoting it, it wouldn't remove the posting from the web
    > forum that picked it up, and the spambots probably already had her
    > address ten seconds after she posted.
    >
    > Still, any way of undoing this, other than either hoping she doesn't
    > start getting spam out the yingyang, or just abandoning the address and
    > switching to another one?

    This sounds a lot like the "...uh, doc, this friend of mine has a rash
    and he's wondering ehat he could do about it..."

    But if not, let's see if I understand: you told your wife not to do
    something or she'd regret it, but she did it anyway, and now you are
    worried about what will happen? Seems to me this worked out perfectly.
    Let her sleep in that bed...

    She'll need to get a new address.
    SgtMinor, Nov 27, 2004
  4. °Mike° Guest

    How do spammers harvest email addresses
    http://www.private.org.il/harvest.html

    SPAM - Munging Your Email Address
    http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

    How To Deal With Spam
    http://pobox.com/nospam.html

    Korean Spam Filter
    http://www.siue.edu/~jpogats/korea.html

    SPAM Tips and help
    http://spam.abuse.net/spam/userhelp/

    SpamCop
    http://spamcop.net/

    Magic Mail Monitor (freeware)
    http://mmm3.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.geeba.org/magic/

    K9 Spam filter (freeware)
    http://www.keir.net/k9.html

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 23:59:53 GMT, in
    <>
    scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Nov 27, 2004
  5. wrote:

    > I just discovered that my wife, ignoring advice I'd given her forever,
    > posted to one of the most active groups on usenet using her real email
    > address, one that has been spam-free for the five years she's had it.

    So let her learn from this one; perhaps on the next issue she will
    listen to you.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Play Zork: http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/zork1.html
    Blinky the Shark, Nov 27, 2004
  6. Barry OGrady Guest

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 23:59:53 GMT, wrote:

    >I just discovered that my wife, ignoring advice I'd given her forever,
    >posted to one of the most active groups on usenet using her real email
    >address, one that has been spam-free for the five years she's had it.
    >
    >Her posting, address included, is quoted in people's replies to it. And
    >a web-based forum picked that thread up and it's there too.
    >
    >So I'm guessing that the damage is done, right? I mean, she could
    >follow google groups' procedure for removing her post, but that wouldn't
    >remove the posts quoting it, it wouldn't remove the posting from the web
    >forum that picked it up, and the spambots probably already had her
    >address ten seconds after she posted.
    >
    >Still, any way of undoing this, other than either hoping she doesn't
    >start getting spam out the yingyang, or just abandoning the address and
    >switching to another one?

    You may need to use another address, unless you use a memory ray to
    make people forget......................

    -Barry
    ========
    Barry OGrady, Nov 27, 2004
  7. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > Still, any way of undoing this, other than either hoping she doesn't

    No, the address is toasted.
    Plato, Nov 27, 2004
  8. Duck ducking Guest

    On 27 Nov 2004 02:21:16 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> I just discovered that my wife, ignoring advice I'd given her forever,
    >> posted to one of the most active groups on usenet using her real email
    >> address, one that has been spam-free for the five years she's had it.

    >So let her learn from this one; perhaps on the next issue she will
    >listen to you.

    Me thinkth she will be still hearing about this at the turn of the
    century or more.
    Duck ducking, Nov 27, 2004
  9. Paul - xxx Guest

    SgtMinor vaguely muttered something like ...
    > wrote:
    >> I just discovered that my wife, ignoring advice I'd given her forever,
    >> posted to one of the most active groups on usenet using her real email
    >> address, one that has been spam-free for the five years she's had it.
    >>
    >> Her posting, address included, is quoted in people's replies to it. And
    >> a web-based forum picked that thread up and it's there too.
    >>
    >> So I'm guessing that the damage is done, right? I mean, she could
    >> follow google groups' procedure for removing her post, but that wouldn't
    >> remove the posts quoting it, it wouldn't remove the posting from the web
    >> forum that picked it up, and the spambots probably already had her
    >> address ten seconds after she posted.
    >>
    >> Still, any way of undoing this, other than either hoping she doesn't
    >> start getting spam out the yingyang, or just abandoning the address and
    >> switching to another one?

    > This sounds a lot like the "...uh, doc, this friend of mine has a rash
    > and he's wondering ehat he could do about it..."
    >
    > But if not, let's see if I understand: you told your wife not to do
    > something or she'd regret it, but she did it anyway, and now you are
    > worried about what will happen? Seems to me this worked out perfectly.
    > Let her sleep in that bed...

    Heheheh, totally agree.

    --
    Paul ...
    (8(|) Homer Rules !!!
    Paul - xxx, Nov 27, 2004
  10. In article <> Barry OGrady
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 23:59:53 GMT, wrote:
    >
    >>I just discovered that my wife, ignoring advice I'd given her forever,
    >>posted to one of the most active groups on usenet using her real email
    >>address, one that has been spam-free for the five years she's had it.
    >>
    >>Her posting, address included, is quoted in people's replies to it. And
    >>a web-based forum picked that thread up and it's there too.
    >>
    >>So I'm guessing that the damage is done, right? I mean, she could
    >>follow google groups' procedure for removing her post, but that wouldn't
    >>remove the posts quoting it, it wouldn't remove the posting from the web
    >>forum that picked it up, and the spambots probably already had her
    >>address ten seconds after she posted.
    >>
    >>Still, any way of undoing this, other than either hoping she doesn't
    >>start getting spam out the yingyang, or just abandoning the address and
    >>switching to another one?

    >You may need to use another address, unless you use a memory ray to
    >make people forget......................

    Usenet is the best argument for legalizing lobotomies.

    >-Barry

    The inability of either of the sides to give in?

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "LMFAO, and why do you think AUK has been poking you socmans over
    Chatterly so much? No other group on usenet took more than a week to
    determine that LC was a bot. Now why did it take socmans over a
    month? 1/4th as smart as *normal* people would be the first answer."
    -- Aratzio
    Lady Chatterly, Nov 27, 2004
  11. Joel Rubin Guest

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 23:59:53 GMT, wrote:

    >I just discovered that my wife, ignoring advice I'd given her forever,
    >posted to one of the most active groups on usenet using her real email
    >address, one that has been spam-free for the five years she's had it.
    >
    >Her posting, address included, is quoted in people's replies to it. And
    >a web-based forum picked that thread up and it's there too.
    >
    >So I'm guessing that the damage is done, right? I mean, she could
    >follow google groups' procedure for removing her post, but that wouldn't
    >remove the posts quoting it, it wouldn't remove the posting from the web
    >forum that picked it up, and the spambots probably already had her
    >address ten seconds after she posted.

    You can always post a cancel message for a message (including one for
    a message not yours - this may get you in trouble with your ISP) to a
    Usenet server and, presumably, Google groups has its own means of of
    cancelling messages.

    However, cancelling a message does not cause it to be gone from every
    usenet server and the spammers' address harvesters may already have
    gotten to it.

    Still, if you can get a message not to show up in a Google groups
    search, that is a positive if you don't want the address to receive
    spam.

    Of course, when you post through DejaGoo (Google Groups used to be
    Deja News), you HAVE to use an address which is real or was real when
    you registered with Google groups. You activate the account using a
    code which is emailed to your registration address.

    This does not mean that it has to be your primary email address. You
    can get a free webmail address and use that for Google groups posts
    and, if that address gets too spammy, throw it away and get another
    one.

    Here is a cancel posting of a Usenet post from my server. I can't read
    Chinese but it appearss to have been put in a Taiwan computer
    technical group by an administrator in response to a very relevant
    on-topic post about the latest and greatest Chinese gay porno site or
    chat line or whatever.

    The significant lines are

    Control: cancel <coa8dm$k16$>

    and

    Sender: =?big5?B?t1KkSKZQp9M=?= <>

    (f the From: header is not the same as that of the original message
    then the Sender: header must be.)

    Traditionally, spam cancels have had the string "cyberspam" put on the
    right end of the Path: and there is now a new system called noceem
    which is used in the West to indicate postings which are spammy.

  12. desoto Guest

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 23:59:53 GMT, wrote:

    >I just discovered that my wife, ignoring advice I'd given her forever,
    >posted to one of the most active groups on usenet using her real email
    >address, one that has been spam-free for the five years she's had it.
    >
    >Her posting, address included, is quoted in people's replies to it. And
    >a web-based forum picked that thread up and it's there too.
    >
    >So I'm guessing that the damage is done, right? I mean, she could
    >follow google groups' procedure for removing her post, but that wouldn't
    >remove the posts quoting it, it wouldn't remove the posting from the web
    >forum that picked it up, and the spambots probably already had her
    >address ten seconds after she posted.
    >
    >Still, any way of undoing this, other than either hoping she doesn't
    >start getting spam out the yingyang, or just abandoning the address and
    >switching to another one?

    teehee... my content window is set rather small.... all i could see
    as a title was...
    'anyway I can undo my wife'

    replace 'closed' with 'open' in email address to reply
    desoto, Nov 28, 2004
  13. -=RåmDøg=- Guest

    "desoto" <> wrote in message
    | On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 23:59:53 GMT, wrote:
    |
    | >I just discovered that my wife, ignoring advice I'd given her forever,
    | >posted to one of the most active groups on usenet using her real email
    | >address, one that has been spam-free for the five years she's had it.
    | >
    | >Her posting, address included, is quoted in people's replies to it. And
    | >a web-based forum picked that thread up and it's there too.
    | >
    | >So I'm guessing that the damage is done, right? I mean, she could
    | >follow google groups' procedure for removing her post, but that wouldn't
    | >remove the posts quoting it, it wouldn't remove the posting from the web
    | >forum that picked it up, and the spambots probably already had her
    | >address ten seconds after she posted.
    | >
    | >Still, any way of undoing this, other than either hoping she doesn't
    | >start getting spam out the yingyang, or just abandoning the address and
    | >switching to another one?

    Ever try to un-ring a bell? Your best bet is to get a yahoo premium
    account, forward her address to that and set your pop3 to Yahoo. They have
    pretty decent spam filters.

    -=RåmDøg=-

    -=RåmDøg=-, Nov 28, 2004
  14. Michael M. Guest

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 23:59:53 +0000, jim wrote:

    > I just discovered that my wife, ignoring advice I'd given her forever,
    > posted to one of the most active groups on usenet using her real email
    > address, one that has been spam-free for the five years she's had it.
    >
    > Her posting, address included, is quoted in people's replies to it. And
    > a web-based forum picked that thread up and it's there too.
    >
    > So I'm guessing that the damage is done, right? I mean, she could
    > follow google groups' procedure for removing her post, but that wouldn't
    > remove the posts quoting it, it wouldn't remove the posting from the web
    > forum that picked it up, and the spambots probably already had her
    > address ten seconds after she posted.
    >
    > Still, any way of undoing this, other than either hoping she doesn't
    > start getting spam out the yingyang, or just abandoning the address and
    > switching to another one?

    Abandoning the email address seems a bit of an extreme reaction to me.
    Can't she just learn how to filter her spam? There are excellent tools
    available that are simple enough to set-up and use.

    Up to you (or her), of course, but it seems to me the value of using valid
    email addresses outweighs the "problem" of learning how to deal with spam,
    especially since most people will have to learn eventually anyway, and
    ultimately will be better off for it. I've been using this address on
    USENET (and only USENET) for over a year, and every time I've bothered
    checking, I receive perhaps three or five pieces of spam per month on it.
    Not really a big deal -- I get far more spam on other addresses I've never
    used on USENET. Between SpamAssassin and Mozilla Thunderbird, 99% of all
    of my spam is deposited in a auto-cleaning junk folder I take a quick look
    at every couple of days. Once you get SpamAssassin (or other similar
    types of tools) configured to your liking, you really shouldn't be
    spending more than five minutes a week dealing with spam, unless you want
    to be.

    Spam is a fact of Internet life, at least for the foreseeable future. I
    just think it makes more sense to find a strategy for dealing with it that
    works for you than to be continually trying to run from the problem by
    crippling your email usage. But to each his own.

    --
    Michael M. ~~ ~~ New York, NY USA
    "No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely
    Michael M., Dec 3, 2004
  15. Barry OGrady Guest

    On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 07:10:03 +0000 (UTC), desoto <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 23:59:53 GMT, wrote:
    >
    >>I just discovered that my wife, ignoring advice I'd given her forever,
    >>posted to one of the most active groups on usenet using her real email
    >>address, one that has been spam-free for the five years she's had it.
    >>
    >>Her posting, address included, is quoted in people's replies to it. And
    >>a web-based forum picked that thread up and it's there too.
    >>
    >>So I'm guessing that the damage is done, right? I mean, she could
    >>follow google groups' procedure for removing her post, but that wouldn't
    >>remove the posts quoting it, it wouldn't remove the posting from the web
    >>forum that picked it up, and the spambots probably already had her
    >>address ten seconds after she posted.
    >>
    >>Still, any way of undoing this, other than either hoping she doesn't
    >>start getting spam out the yingyang, or just abandoning the address and
    >>switching to another one?

    >teehee... my content window is set rather small.... all i could see
    > as a title was...
    >'anyway I can undo my wife'

    Odd that the two words 'any' and 'way' became one word and changed the
    meaning completely.

    -Barry
    ========
    Barry OGrady, Dec 5, 2004