    Thanks...
    - Richard Hutnik
    , Oct 22, 2006

  2. Citizen Bob Guest

    On 21 Oct 2006 21:55:31 -0700, wrote:

    >I would like to get the episode Bigalow's Last Smoke on DVD. Is there
    >ay way I can do this?

    You guys ever hear of Netflix and BlockBuster? How about Hollywood
    Video?

    --

    "Nothing in the world can take the place of perseverence. Talent
    will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Citizen Bob, Oct 22, 2006

  3. Guest

    Citizen Bob wrote:
    > On 21 Oct 2006 21:55:31 -0700, wrote:
    >
    > >I would like to get the episode Bigalow's Last Smoke on DVD. Is there
    > >ay way I can do this?

    > You guys ever hear of Netflix and BlockBuster? How about Hollywood
    > Video?

    So, you have confirmed that the TV series actually made it to DVD?

    - Richard Hutnik
    , Oct 22, 2006
  4. wrote:

    > Citizen Bob wrote:
    >
    >>On 21 Oct 2006 21:55:31 -0700, wrote:
    >>

    >>>I would like to get the episode Bigalow's Last Smoke on DVD. Is there
    >>>ay way I can do this?

    >>You guys ever hear of Netflix and BlockBuster? How about Hollywood
    >>Video?

    > So, you have confirmed that the TV series actually made it to DVD?

    Yes, we've confirmed it hasn't. We were just asking whether you'd heard
    of them.

    Derek Janssen (never hurts to check)
    Derek Janssen, Oct 22, 2006
  5. jayembee Guest

    wrote:

    > I would like to get the episode Bigalow's Last Smoke on DVD.
    > Is there ay way I can do this?

    Not legally.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Oct 22, 2006
  6. Guest

    You would probably have better luck posting your request on
    alt.video.tape-trading

    wrote:

    > I would like to get the episode Bigalow's Last Smoke on DVD. Is there
    > ay way I can do this?
    >
    > Thanks...
    > - Richard Hutnik
    , Oct 22, 2006
  7. Citizen Bob Guest

    On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 21:21:15 GMT, jayembee
    <> wrote:

    >> I would like to get the episode Bigalow's Last Smoke on DVD.
    >> Is there ay way I can do this?

    >Not legally.

    Why not?

    Citizen Bob, Oct 23, 2006
  8. jayembee Guest

    (Citizen Bob) wrote:

    > jayembee <> wrote:
    >
    >>> I would like to get the episode Bigalow's Last Smoke on DVD.
    >>> Is there ay way I can do this?

    >> Not legally.

    > Why not?

    Because the series has not been released commercially on DVD anywhere
    in the world by either (a) the folks who own the rights to it, or (b)
    by a company that has licensed the title from the rights-holders.

    I'm sure that if you hunt around on the net (especially eBay), it
    wouldn't be hard to find someone selling the series on DVD. But if
    so, it'd be a bootleg.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Oct 23, 2006
  9. Citizen Bob Guest

    On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:42:01 GMT, jayembee
    <> wrote:

    >>> Not legally.

    >> Why not?

    >Because the series has not been released commercially on DVD anywhere
    >in the world by either (a) the folks who own the rights to it, or (b)
    >by a company that has licensed the title from the rights-holders.

    >I'm sure that if you hunt around on the net (especially eBay), it
    >wouldn't be hard to find someone selling the series on DVD. But if
    >so, it'd be a bootleg.

    My first choice would be to rent it. That way I get subtitles. But if
    it is unavailable on DVD, then there's bit torrents. If they do make
    it available later on DVD, I will rent it for the subtitles. But until
    they do, torrents are the only option.

    BTW, don't let the entertainment industry hoodwink you about all this
    "digital rights" crap. Sony tried to pull a fast one on the consumer
    years ago with VCRs. They tried to prevent people from recording TV
    shows. Congress told them to FOAD. That's what I think ultimately is
    going to happen with "digital rights", which is just the VCR crap all
    over again.

    The people that the entertainment industry need to go after are the
    real pirates, the ones in Asia that knock off their content and sell
    it for profit. Going after the consumer is a waste of time and just
    pisses people off. Fucking greedy lawyers are at the bottom of all
    that.

    If I can rent it, I will so they get their filthy royalty. But if they
    do not make it available, I will find it elsewhere. And I am not
    paying more than rental to download something that has viruses in it
    or can't be copied to other media or can only be played under absurd
    conditions.

    Citizen Bob, Oct 24, 2006
  10. jayembee Guest

    (Citizen Bob) wrote:

    > BTW, don't let the entertainment industry hoodwink you about all this
    > "digital rights" crap. Sony tried to pull a fast one on the consumer
    > years ago with VCRs. They tried to prevent people from recording TV
    > shows. Congress told them to FOAD.

    Other than the part that it involved VCRs, none of what you just said
    is true.

    (1) Sony was the *defendant* in the lawsuit. Sony *made* the VCRs, and
    gave them the ability to record. It was the major studios, lead by
    Universal and Disney, that sued Sony, claiming that recordable VCRs
    allowed the violation of copyright.

    (2) Congress didn't say anything, let alone "**** off and die." The
    decision that Sony was not liable for damages if people use their
    VCRs to violate copyright was made by the Supreme Court, not Congress.

    (3) The decision really said very little about whether VCRs violated
    copyright or not. In fact, the decision actually *does* acknowledge
    that they can do so, but it also says that a consumer's right to time
    shift programs by taping them and watching at a later date outweighed
    any possible copyright violation that might be done with them. And
    most of all, the decision was really that even if copyrights were
    violated by the use of the VCR, Sony was not liable. Analogous to,
    say, a chainsaw manufacturer not being liable if someone uses their
    chainsaw to kill their next door neighbor.

    > If I can rent it, I will so they get their filthy royalty. But if
    > they do not make it available, I will find it elsewhere. And I am
    > not paying more than rental to download something that has viruses
    > in it or can't be copied to other media or can only be played under
    > absurd conditions.

    Fair enough. But you asked if you see that particular episode on DVD,
    and I answered "not legally". You then asked why not, and I told you.
    Whether you think it *should* be legal is irrelevant.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Oct 24, 2006
  11. Citizen Bob Guest

    On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 18:11:22 GMT, jayembee
    <> wrote:

    >Other than the part that it involved VCRs, none of what you just said
    >is true.

    >(1) Sony was the *defendant* in the lawsuit. Sony *made* the VCRs, and
    >gave them the ability to record. It was the major studios, lead by
    >Universal and Disney, that sued Sony, claiming that recordable VCRs
    >allowed the violation of copyright.

    >(2) Congress didn't say anything, let alone "**** off and die." The
    >decision that Sony was not liable for damages if people use their
    >VCRs to violate copyright was made by the Supreme Court, not Congress.

    >(3) The decision really said very little about whether VCRs violated
    >copyright or not. In fact, the decision actually *does* acknowledge
    >that they can do so, but it also says that a consumer's right to time
    >shift programs by taping them and watching at a later date outweighed
    >any possible copyright violation that might be done with them. And
    >most of all, the decision was really that even if copyrights were
    >violated by the use of the VCR, Sony was not liable. Analogous to,
    >say, a chainsaw manufacturer not being liable if someone uses their
    >chainsaw to kill their next door neighbor.

    Thank you for that clarification. It's been a long time since that
    case and obviously I have forgotten the crucial details.

    >Fair enough. But you asked if you see that particular episode on DVD,
    >and I answered "not legally". You then asked why not, and I told you.
    >Whether you think it *should* be legal is irrelevant.

    It is illegal like copying VHS tapes is illegal.

    Citizen Bob, Oct 25, 2006