Any Way Around This MS Junk?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Justin, Nov 19, 2012.

  1. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Justin, Nov 19, 2012

  2. Justin

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 16:20:11 -0500, Justin wrote:

    > Trying to run a VIN from Ford's website - requires IE.
    > Here it is in IE...
    > http://i45.tinypic.com/17zlp5.jpg
    >
    > Here it is in Mozilla.
    > http://i50.tinypic.com/auy5u8.jpg
    >
    > Is there a Microsoft plugin somewhere?

    1. Try "User Agent Switcher"
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/user-agent-switcher/

    This lets you set Firefox to tell the website that it is IE.

    It is good for websites that do user-agent sniffing but otherwise
    would work OK with Firefox. I don't have a login to the problem
    Ford website so I cannot verify how well "User Agent Switcher"
    will work there.

    2. If "User Agent Switcher" doesn't work, try one of these

    IE Tab + https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ie-tab-plus/
    IE Tab v2 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ie-tab-2-ff-36/

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Nov 20, 2012

  3. Justin

    Tim W Guest

    On 19/11/2012 21:20, Justin wrote:
    > Trying to run a VIN from Ford's website - requires IE.
    > Here it is in IE...
    > http://i45.tinypic.com/17zlp5.jpg
    >
    > Here it is in Mozilla.
    > http://i50.tinypic.com/auy5u8.jpg
    >
    > Is there a Microsoft plugin somewhere?

    Incredible There are a very few websites that only work in IE. You have
    to wonder why anyone would do such a peverse thing.

    The other one I know of is RyanAir's print-your-own boarding-card site.
    It just doesn't work and there is no explanation. You ring the helpline
    number and some poor person is spending a long shift just telling people
    they have to use IE if they want to board their flight. It beggars belief.

    Tim w

    Tim W, Nov 23, 2012
  4. Justin

    Madlove Guest

    Tim W wrote:
    > On 19/11/2012 21:20, Justin wrote:
    >> Trying to run a VIN from Ford's website - requires IE.
    >> Here it is in IE...
    >> http://i45.tinypic.com/17zlp5.jpg
    >>
    >> Here it is in Mozilla.
    >> http://i50.tinypic.com/auy5u8.jpg
    >>
    >> Is there a Microsoft plugin somewhere?

    > Incredible. There are a very few websites that only work in IE. You have
    > to wonder why anyone would do such a perverse thing.

    Bing Ads only works with msie. Guess who owns it...

    Madlove, Nov 27, 2012
  5. Justin

    Justin Guest

    On 11/20/2012 4:01 AM, Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 16:20:11 -0500, Justin wrote:
    >
    >> Trying to run a VIN from Ford's website - requires IE.
    >> Here it is in IE...
    >> http://i45.tinypic.com/17zlp5.jpg
    >>
    >> Here it is in Mozilla.
    >> http://i50.tinypic.com/auy5u8.jpg
    >>
    >> Is there a Microsoft plugin somewhere?

    > 1. Try "User Agent Switcher"
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/user-agent-switcher/
    >
    > This lets you set Firefox to tell the website that it is IE.
    >
    > It is good for websites that do user-agent sniffing but otherwise
    > would work OK with Firefox. I don't have a login to the problem
    > Ford website so I cannot verify how well "User Agent Switcher"
    > will work there.
    >

    > 2. If "User Agent Switcher" doesn't work, try one of these
    >
    > IE Tab + https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ie-tab-plus/
    > IE Tab v2 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ie-tab-2-ff-36/

    Nope, didn't work.

    Justin, Nov 28, 2012
  6. Justin

    Justin Guest

    On 11/23/2012 4:17 AM, Tim W wrote:
    > On 19/11/2012 21:20, Justin wrote:
    >> Trying to run a VIN from Ford's website - requires IE.
    >> Here it is in IE...
    >> http://i45.tinypic.com/17zlp5.jpg
    >>
    >> Here it is in Mozilla.
    >> http://i50.tinypic.com/auy5u8.jpg
    >>
    >> Is there a Microsoft plugin somewhere?

    > Incredible There are a very few websites that only work in IE. You have
    > to wonder why anyone would do such a peverse thing.

    This is Ford's backend, accessible only to dealers. Microsoft and Ford
    teamed up - Sync.
    So the general public isn't affected. However, that second plugin seems
    to work. I wish there was something similar for Safari.

    > The other one I know of is RyanAir's print-your-own boarding-card site.
    > It just doesn't work and there is no explanation. You ring the helpline
    > number and some poor person is spending a long shift just telling people
    > they have to use IE if they want to board their flight. It beggars belief.
    >
    > Tim w

    RyanAir probably used a bootleg version of Sharepoint server to write
    their horrible webpage.

    Justin, Nov 28, 2012
  7. Justin

    Justin Guest

    On 11/20/2012 4:01 AM, Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 16:20:11 -0500, Justin wrote:
    >
    >> Trying to run a VIN from Ford's website - requires IE.
    >> Here it is in IE...
    >> http://i45.tinypic.com/17zlp5.jpg
    >>
    >> Here it is in Mozilla.
    >> http://i50.tinypic.com/auy5u8.jpg
    >>
    >> Is there a Microsoft plugin somewhere?

    > 1. Try "User Agent Switcher"
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/user-agent-switcher/
    >
    > This lets you set Firefox to tell the website that it is IE.
    >
    > It is good for websites that do user-agent sniffing but otherwise
    > would work OK with Firefox. I don't have a login to the problem
    > Ford website so I cannot verify how well "User Agent Switcher"
    > will work there.
    >

    > 2. If "User Agent Switcher" doesn't work, try one of these
    >
    > IE Tab + https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ie-tab-plus/
    > IE Tab v2 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ie-tab-2-ff-36/

    actually those two pluging run an instance of IF in a Mozilla tab.
    Completely useless.

    Justin, Nov 28, 2012
  8. Justin

    Tim W Guest

    On 27/11/2012 23:37, Madlove wrote:
    > Tim W wrote:
    >> On 19/11/2012 21:20, Justin wrote:
    >>> Trying to run a VIN from Ford's website - requires IE.
    >>> Here it is in IE...
    >>> http://i45.tinypic.com/17zlp5.jpg
    >>>
    >>> Here it is in Mozilla.
    >>> http://i50.tinypic.com/auy5u8.jpg
    >>>
    >>> Is there a Microsoft plugin somewhere?

    >> Incredible. There are a very few websites that only work in IE. You
    >> have to wonder why anyone would do such a perverse thing.

    > Bing Ads only works with msie. Guess who owns it...

    I am still using WinXP on my desktop PC. So far I have only found one
    program that won't run on it. It is IE 9....

    Tim W, Nov 28, 2012
  9. Justin

    Justin Guest

    On 11/28/2012 4:36 AM, Tim W wrote:
    > On 27/11/2012 23:37, Madlove wrote:
    >> Tim W wrote:

    >>> Incredible. There are a very few websites that only work in IE. You
    >>> have to wonder why anyone would do such a perverse thing.

    >> Bing Ads only works with msie. Guess who owns it...

    > I am still using WinXP on my desktop PC. So far I have only found one
    > program that won't run on it. It is IE 9....

    Eventually I'm going back to Mac. Once my 15'4" MBP sells on eBay, I'm
    getting a 17" with the Retina screen, upgrading to at least 8GB of ram
    and running VirtualBox. Maybe I'll just use the company's Terminal
    Services Server for stuff that must be IE.
    I think that Ford backend is ActiveX. I can't give out the account info
    for obvious reasons.

    Justin, Nov 28, 2012
  10. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Justin wrote on [Wed, 28 Nov 2012 15:19:57 -0500]:
    > On 11/28/2012 4:36 AM, Tim W wrote:

    >>> Bing Ads only works with msie. Guess who owns it...

    >> I am still using WinXP on my desktop PC. So far I have only found one
    >> program that won't run on it. It is IE 9....

    > Eventually I'm going back to Mac. Once my 15'4" MBP sells on eBay, I'm
    > getting a 17" with the Retina screen, upgrading to at least 8GB of ram

    They killed the 17" Macbook Pros when they came out with the 15" with
    Retina display

    Justin, Nov 28, 2012
  11. Justin

    Justin Guest

    On 11/28/2012 3:34 PM, Justin wrote:
    > Justin wrote on [Wed, 28 Nov 2012 15:19:57 -0500]:

    >>> I am still using WinXP on my desktop PC. So far I have only found one
    >>> program that won't run on it. It is IE 9....

    >> Eventually I'm going back to Mac. Once my 15'4" MBP sells on eBay, I'm
    >> getting a 17" with the Retina screen, upgrading to at least 8GB of ram

    > They killed the 17" Macbook Pros when they came out with the 15" with
    > Retina display

    Then I'll probably get a non-retina refurb. I always get refurbs anyway.

    Justin, Nov 28, 2012
  12. Justin

    Madlove Guest

    Justin wrote:

    > that second plugin seems to work.

    Which one worked? I've been locked out of Bing and would like to get back in
    if possible.

    Madlove, Dec 11, 2012