Any using the Transcend Ultra 4GB in a Canon S3 IS ?? does it work ok?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by bitwisebob, Jul 8, 2006.

  1. bitwisebob

    bitwisebob Guest

    Upgraded my S1 IS with a new S3 IS, now I need new memory cards, and
    with the larger image size looking at the biggest cards I can get.

    This one looks good,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820163159
    Transcend Ultra Speed 4GB Secure Digital (SD) Flash Media Model
    TS4GSD150 - Retail
    $69.95 after rebate

    But will it work in the S3 IS ?
    Any one using this combo?

    Other recommendations welcome.

    TIA

    ---
    Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
    Eugene Oregon

    bitwisebob, Jul 8, 2006

  2. bitwisebob

    RHinNC Guest

    I have a couple of 2GB 150x Trancends and am very pleased with them.

    RHinNC, Jul 8, 2006

  3. Good choice. The S3 IS and other newer Canon P&S SD cameras are compatible
    with these high-speed 4GB SD cards. I have a couple of similar cards for my
    S3 IS and SD700 IS. They work great.

    Bye.

    David Sommers, Jul 8, 2006
  4. bitwisebob

    bitwisebob Guest

    On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 22:24:49 GMT, "David Sommers" <>
    wrote:

    >Good choice. The S3 IS and other newer Canon P&S SD cameras are compatible
    >with these high-speed 4GB SD cards. I have a couple of similar cards for my
    >S3 IS and SD700 IS. They work great.

    thanks for the comments, helping me move toward the purchase

    ---
    Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
    Eugene Oregon

    bitwisebob, Jul 9, 2006
  5. bitwisebob

    bitwisebob Guest

    On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 19:56:20 GMT, "RHinNC" <> wrote:

    >I have a couple of 2GB 150x Trancends and am very pleased with them.

    no rebate on 2GB, but would be a good choice also, and anyway

    interesting how much I paid for memory a year ago, big drop in prices

    ---
    Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
    Eugene Oregon

    bitwisebob, Jul 9, 2006
  6. bitwisebob

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Re: Any using the Transcend Ultra 4GB in a Canon S3 IS ?? doesit work ok?

    bitwisebob wrote:
    > Upgraded my S1 IS with a new S3 IS, now I need new memory cards, and
    > with the larger image size looking at the biggest cards I can get.
    >
    > This one looks good,
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820163159
    > Transcend Ultra Speed 4GB Secure Digital (SD) Flash Media Model
    > TS4GSD150 - Retail
    > $69.95 after rebate
    >

    > But will it work in the S3 IS ?
    > Any one using this combo?
    >
    > Other recommendations welcome.
    >
    > TIA
    >

    > ---
    > Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
    > Eugene Oregon

    $70 for a 4GB card? I would carefully check the vendor's reputation.
    That is too good to be true.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 9, 2006
  7. bitwisebob

    bitwisebob wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 19:56:20 GMT, "RHinNC" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a couple of 2GB 150x Trancends and am very pleased with them.

    > no rebate on 2GB, but would be a good choice also, and anyway
    >

    > interesting how much I paid for memory a year ago, big drop in prices
    >

    > ---
    > Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
    > Eugene Oregon

    About a year and a half ago, I bought a 256meg card for 'only' $64! sigh.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 9, 2006
  8. bitwisebob

    sally Guest

    Ron Hunter <> wrote in news:J-
    :
    > $70 for a 4GB card? I would carefully check the vendor's reputation.
    > That is too good to be true.

    Newegg and ZZF are popular internet vendors who regularly sell name brand
    SD cards at good prices. Prices have come down a lot in the past year.

    sally, Jul 9, 2006
  9. bitwisebob

    sally Guest

    Ron Hunter <> wrote in
    > About a year and a half ago, I bought a 256meg card for 'only' $64!

    You got ripped off. A year ago, 1GB SD cards were selling in that range.

    sally, Jul 9, 2006
  10. bitwisebob

    bitwisebob Guest

    On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 14:53:57 +0000 (UTC), sally <>
    wrote:

    >Newegg and ZZF are popular internet vendors who regularly sell name brand
    >SD cards at good prices. Prices have come down a lot in the past year.

    I agree. Newegg is a good vendor, the price is $99 which is good
    before rebate. The rebate is direct from Transcend. I have purchased
    from Newegg before, no complaints.

    I worry more about the card going bad and losing lots of shots on a
    single large GB card. Less likely, or less of a loss using more
    smaller cards. A trade off I guess.

    ---
    Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
    Eugene Oregon

    bitwisebob, Jul 9, 2006
  11. bitwisebob

    sally Guest

    bitwisebob <> wrote in
    > I worry more about the card going bad and losing lots of shots on a
    > single large GB card. Less likely, or less of a loss using more
    > smaller cards. A trade off I guess.

    Lots of small cards become easy to lose when are continuoually swapping
    them out in the field. A 2GB or 4GB card should last you a full day or
    more so you can pull it in cleaner, more controlled location.

    How often do SD memory cards go bad? I have never had that happen to me.

    sally, Jul 9, 2006
  12. bitwisebob

    sally wrote:
    > Ron Hunter <> wrote in
    >> About a year and a half ago, I bought a 256meg card for 'only' $64!

    > You got ripped off. A year ago, 1GB SD cards were selling in that range.

    Yes, but 6 months earlier, they weren't. The prices have dropped
    sharply in the past 18 months.
    Just my luck!

    Ron Hunter, Jul 9, 2006
  13. bitwisebob

    bitwisebob Guest

    On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 20:41:50 +0000 (UTC), sally <>
    wrote:

    >Lots of small cards become easy to lose when are continuoually swapping
    >them out in the field. A 2GB or 4GB card should last you a full day or
    >more so you can pull it in cleaner, more controlled location.
    >
    >How often do SD memory cards go bad? I have never had that happen to me.

    that's food for thought, good points

    ---
    Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
    Eugene Oregon

    bitwisebob, Jul 9, 2006
  14. bitwisebob

    bitwisebob wrote:
    > On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 20:41:50 +0000 (UTC), sally <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Lots of small cards become easy to lose when are continuoually swapping
    >> them out in the field. A 2GB or 4GB card should last you a full day or
    >> more so you can pull it in cleaner, more controlled location.
    >>
    >> How often do SD memory cards go bad? I have never had that happen to me.

    > that's food for thought, good points
    >
    > ---
    > Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
    > Eugene Oregon

    I have never had either an SD or a CF card fail. I have lost a couple
    of pictures due to batteries going dead while trying to write the the
    card, but the other pictures were ok.
    I would bet that failures of flash media are vastly less frequent than
    failures of HD or optical storage.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 10, 2006
  15. bitwisebob <> wrote:
    >Upgraded my S1 IS with a new S3 IS, now I need new memory cards, and
    >with the larger image size looking at the biggest cards I can get.
    >
    >This one looks good,
    >Transcend Ultra Speed 4GB Secure Digital (SD) Flash Media Model
    >
    >But will it work in the S3 IS ?
    >Any one using this combo?
    >
    >Other recommendations welcome.

    SD is standardized up to 2GB only. Therefore it is really hit and miss if
    the manufacturer of your camera and the manufacturer of that SD card and the
    manufacturer of your card reader had the same idea about how to extend SD
    (not SDHC) beyond 2GB.
    Furthermore, are you certain that your camera supports FAT32? If it supports
    FAT16 only then you wouldn't be able to use the memory beyond 2GB anyway.

    I would stick with 2GB cards for SD.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Mar 1, 2008
  16. bitwisebob

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: Jürgen Exner
    <> wrote:

    > bitwisebob <> wrote:
    >>Upgraded my S1 IS with a new S3 IS, now I need new memory cards, and
    >>with the larger image size looking at the biggest cards I can get.
    >>
    >>This one looks good,
    >>Transcend Ultra Speed 4GB Secure Digital (SD) Flash Media Model
    >>
    >>But will it work in the S3 IS ?
    >>Any one using this combo?
    >>
    >>Other recommendations welcome.

    > SD is standardized up to 2GB only.

    The S3 IS supports SDHC, so there's no reason to use questionable 4GB
    "SD" cards.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Mar 1, 2008
  17. bitwisebob

    Yoshi Guest

    "Jürgen Exner" <> wrote in message
    > bitwisebob <> wrote:
    >>Upgraded my S1 IS with a new S3 IS, now I need new memory cards, and
    >>with the larger image size looking at the biggest cards I can get.
    >>
    >>This one looks good,
    >>Transcend Ultra Speed 4GB Secure Digital (SD) Flash Media Model
    >>
    >>But will it work in the S3 IS ?
    >>Any one using this combo?
    >>
    >>Other recommendations welcome.

    > SD is standardized up to 2GB only. Therefore it is really hit and miss if
    > the manufacturer of your camera and the manufacturer of that SD card and
    > the
    > manufacturer of your card reader had the same idea about how to extend SD
    > (not SDHC) beyond 2GB.
    > Furthermore, are you certain that your camera supports FAT32? If it
    > supports
    > FAT16 only then you wouldn't be able to use the memory beyond 2GB anyway.
    >
    > I would stick with 2GB cards for SD.
    >
    > jue

    Yes, I bought 3 Transcend 4GB class 6 SDHC cards for my S3IS and they work
    fine, both for stills and movies. Dunno about the non- HC cards though.

    Yoshi

    Yoshi, Mar 2, 2008
  18. bitwisebob

    DJohns Guest

    On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 19:59:15 GMT, Jürgen Exner <> wrote:

    >bitwisebob <> wrote:
    >>Upgraded my S1 IS with a new S3 IS, now I need new memory cards, and
    >>with the larger image size looking at the biggest cards I can get.
    >>
    >>This one looks good,
    >>Transcend Ultra Speed 4GB Secure Digital (SD) Flash Media Model
    >>
    >>But will it work in the S3 IS ?
    >>Any one using this combo?
    >>
    >>Other recommendations welcome.

    >SD is standardized up to 2GB only. Therefore it is really hit and miss if
    >the manufacturer of your camera and the manufacturer of that SD card and the
    >manufacturer of your card reader had the same idea about how to extend SD
    >(not SDHC) beyond 2GB.
    >Furthermore, are you certain that your camera supports FAT32? If it supports
    >FAT16 only then you wouldn't be able to use the memory beyond 2GB anyway.
    >
    >I would stick with 2GB cards for SD.
    >
    >jue

    Please don't post advice when you don't know what you are talking about. Which
    appears to be often.

    Transcend's 4GB cards can indeed be formatted to FAT16 if need be and still use
    the full 4GB of space. Some format their 4GB cards to FAT16 just for the speed
    increase which can be as much as 25-30% faster. Handy when shooting in lengthy
    high-speed burst modes (the S3 excels at this, and bogs down on slower cards
    after about 30-40 frames) or when using higher-bitrate higher-quality video
    modes (as available in CHDK). Others format their 4GB cards to FAT16 just for
    using CHDK, because the auto-booting feature of CHDK can only be used with FAT16
    formatted cards. They also work just fine when formatted as FAT32 in the S3 IS,
    you can't however use CHDK's auto-booting feature then.

    Be advised, that if you are using this for CHDK purposes, even though CHDK has
    broken the 1G video-size limit for the S3, you are still limited to a 2G
    file-size due to FAT16/32 format, even on 4GB cards.

    Short answer, yes, buy 4GB cards for the S3-IS, they work in all formats and for
    all needs.

    The same cannot be said of 8GB cards. But that's for another lengthy discussion
    which only concerns users of CHDK. They had to find a unique partition format
    work-around to have self-booting 8GB cards. Making a small partition as FAT16
    for the boot code and the larger partition for image storage as FAT32. (This is
    now a menu option in newer builds of CHDK.)

    DJohns, Mar 2, 2008
  19. DJohns <> wrote:
    >Transcend's 4GB cards can indeed be formatted to FAT16 if need be

    Sure, I never said otherwise.

    >and still use the full 4GB of space.

    Unless you create muiltiple partitions [1] or use a non-standard sector
    size, no, you cannot. The maximum file system size of a single FAT16
    partition using standard 512 bytes per sector is limited to 2GB.

    >modes (as available in CHDK).
    >using CHDK,
    >you can't however use CHDK's auto-booting feature then.
    >Be advised, that if you are using this for CHDK purposes, even though CHDK has
    >which only concerns users of CHDK. They had to find a unique partition format
    >now a menu option in newer builds of CHDK.)

    You seem to be rather preoccupied by CHDK. It might interest you (or not)
    that the file system does not care about and has no dependencies on said
    CHDK. Actually CHDK is completely irrelevant in the context of file system
    limitiations.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Mar 2, 2008
  20. bitwisebob

    DJohns Guest

    On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 11:49:17 GMT, Jürgen Exner <> wrote:

    >DJohns <> wrote:
    >
    >>and still use the full 4GB of space.

    >Unless you create muiltiple partitions [1] or use a non-standard sector
    >size, no, you cannot. The maximum file system size of a single FAT16
    >partition using standard 512 bytes per sector is limited to 2GB.

    You need to stop living in a virtual world basing everything on what you read on
    web-pages and newsgroups, just like the rest of the morons in this newsgroup.
    Try living in the real world and you'll find out just how very wrong you are.

    Anyone with the least bit of experience and true information has left usenet
    long ago from having to deal with idiots like you and the rest of the resident
    trolls that infest this place. They should rename newsgroups to just
    cyber-lifer's foolsgroups to be more accurate.

    Between the spam and the resident fools there's nothing left.

    DJohns, Mar 3, 2008