    prints from 20x24 to 30x40. Any comments are appreciated.

    Ed M
    www.tranquilimages.com
    edmarg1, Jun 29, 2005

  2. edmarg1

    johnboy Guest

    "edmarg1" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello,
    > I would like to hear from anyone who owns or has used a microtek i900 or
    > 1800f scanner. I hear a lot of comments about epson scanners but not
    > really anything about microtek. I'm about to dive into the digital world
    > by scanning my 6x6 and 4x5 transparencies. Generally I like to make large
    > prints from 20x24 to 30x40. Any comments are appreciated.

    21" x 21" from 6x6 seems to be max for my standards.
    johnboy, Jun 30, 2005

  3. edmarg1

    PGG Guest

    > 21" x 21" from 6x6 seems to be max for my standards.

    Everybody has different standards. My local pro lab had a 24x30" print
    made from a 35mm Velvia slide on display. From 5 feet away it looked
    beautiful.
    PGG, Jun 30, 2005
  4. edmarg1

    johnboy Guest

    "PGG" <pa_paSPAAMgordygrapes@NO_SP_A_Myahoo.com> wrote in message

    >> 21" x 21" from 6x6 seems to be max for my standards.

    > Everybody has different standards. My local pro lab had a 24x30" print
    > made from a 35mm Velvia slide on display. From 5 feet away it looked
    > beautiful.

    Viewing Distance. Yes, it is true that the farther away you get from a 35mm
    enlargement, the better it looks. I rather like to stand in the next
    neighboring state. :)
    johnboy, Jul 1, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    "edmarg1" <> wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I would like to hear from anyone who owns or has used a microtek i900 or
    > 1800f scanner. I hear a lot of comments about epson scanners but not really
    > anything about microtek. I'm about to dive into the digital world by
    > scanning my 6x6 and 4x5 transparencies. Generally I like to make large
    > prints from 20x24 to 30x40. Any comments are appreciated.
    >
    > Ed M
    > www.tranquilimages.com

    I have the 1800F, but I can only compare it to my previous Artixscan
    1100. I can only say I'm happy with it. When I bought it, the i900 just
    came out. I called Microtek and asked about the differences and they
    recommended the 1800F over the i900. Also, David Brooks of Shutterbug
    has recommended this scanner for 4x5 in his Q&A column.

    The glassless carrier would seem, in theory, to be an advantage. The
    dynamic range, along with the multiple scan capability, seems to capture
    with very low noise whatever shadow detail I can see on the light table.
    It also includes Kodak targets so you can create custom profiles.

    However, when I compared the 1800F to my 35mm Polaroid Sprintscan film
    scanner at 1800dpi, the 1800f was no match in resolution. So don't
    expect true 1800 dpi performance.

    That said, there's no way for me to know if the Epson scanners (which
    I've seen favorable comments) isn't better. Also, I have the impression
    that the 1800F is discontinued, but maybe it's still available somewhere.

    The few reviews I've seen on the i900 didn't seem to make it a stand
    out, but most reviews are usually worthless anyway.

    Claude
    Claude DiBugnara, Jul 2, 2005