    NIC for the PC and and then configuring sharing on the wireless nic
    but I am not sure if that is the best way.

    Thanks
    Ned, Apr 8, 2007

  2. Hi
    May be this can Help.
    Wireless Cable/DSL Router or Access Point - What should I get?
    http://www.ezlan.net/APvsRoute.html
    Using Wireless Router as an Access Ppoiint -
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 8, 2007

  3. Ned <> wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > Is there any way to securely share a user's wired connection with a
    > laptop using wireless technology and without purchasing an access
    > point?

    I have yet to see (which of course doesn't mean they do not exist) any
    adapter client software that can handle WPA in ah hoc mode, or for that
    matter in client access point mode.

    Usually, you have to make do with WEP encryption and filters. These are
    not secure.
    Axel Hammerschmidt, Apr 8, 2007
  4. Ned

    Frankster Guest

    > Access Points are usually expensive, but Wireless Router are not.

    I've noticed that too. Isn't that weird? LOL.

    -Frank
    Frankster, Apr 8, 2007

    Maxwell Edision, Apr 8, 2007
  6. Hi

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 9, 2007
  7. Ned

    Pavel A. Guest

    "Axel Hammerschmidt" <> wrote in message news:1hw9fer.la8bwx1dr74gaN%...
    > I have yet to see (which of course doesn't mean they do not exist) any
    > adapter client software that can handle WPA in ah hoc mode, or for that
    > matter in client access point mode.

    Vista does support WPA in ad-hoc mode, and MS presses hard on
    adapter vendors to support this in their divers.

    --PA
    Pavel A., Apr 9, 2007
  8. Ned

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, "Ned" <> wrote:
    >Hello
    >
    >Is there any way to securely share a user's wired connection with a
    >laptop using wireless technology and without purchasing an access
    >point? In other words, plug USB widget into wired desktop's usb port,
    >then plug other widget into laptop and then let the laptop use the
    >desktops network connection? I was thinking of purchasing a wireless
    >NIC for the PC and and then configuring sharing on the wireless nic
    >but I am not sure if that is the best way.
    >
    >Thanks

    Just get a linksys WRT54G at Best buy for $49.99 (Same price you'd pay for a
    Wireless desktop card)

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.
    jsp?skuId=5250774&type=product&id=1051384663529

    And then a USB 54G device for the laptop.

    Much better to do it this way, same price, better security, expandability
    etc....
    GMAN, Apr 16, 2007