    high speed CF cards, and already have Flash & batteries with 12V chargers.
    From what we've seen so far, we intend to shoot in RAW only, drop the files to something like a FlashTrax Device and work on them at
    home. So, what if anything, should we be thinking of next?
    --
    Bob
    http://www.feel-the-noise.com
    http://www.surepix.co.uk/
    Bob & Anni, Apr 8, 2004

  2. In article <juedc.31047$Y%9.net>,
    "Bob & Anni" <> wrote:

    > We've just bought a Canon 1D so before we get out there to play, are then any
    > tips you experienced users can pass on?

    RTFM
    Simon Gardner, Apr 8, 2004

  3. Bob & Anni

    JohnS Guest

    "Simon Gardner" <[dot]co[dot]uk> wrote in message news:BC9B3D169668F04E3@192.168.0.3...
    > In article <juedc.31047$Y%9.net>,
    > "Bob & Anni" <> wrote:
    >
    > > We've just bought a Canon 1D so before we get out there to play, are then any
    > > tips you experienced users can pass on?

    > RTFM

    That was very useful wasn't it Simon, may I suggest if you have nothing to add you refrain from making stupid childish comments. If
    you don't understand the word "tips" why don't you read a F dictionary, while you're there look up "forum"? I guess you're the sort
    who never shares anything and can't engage in normal social behaviour. This person clearly asked for TIPS from people who have used
    this camera for a while, I doubt if you've ever used a professional camera, and if you have, you sound like the sort of person who
    would give anything away, even if you had anything useful to give. You can't get impartial tips from a manual, it's people like you
    that kill of decent newsgroups.

    Anyway, Bob & Anni, I understand what you mean and here's my tips (things you wouldn't find in the manual Simon).
    Don't bother with any of the Canon software except the Twain driver and image converter2.
    Shoot only in RAW mode and copy the contents of the CFs to hard disk, burn two copies to CD or DVD.
    Use image converter2 to convert RAW to working copies (tiffs) and work on them in Photoshop keeping the RAW versions as backup.
    In RAW mode, if you don't convert, you will only see a small image on the pc, this is normal so unless you want to have instant
    large images to check, save the CF space and forget RAW + JPEG mode.
    Buy a second battery if you are out and about, camera's useless if your only battery goes flat (no 12V option)
    Check Canon's site for latest drivers, some issues there with older versions.
    In Windows, 16bit TIFFS don't show thumbnails properly.

    Anything else you want to know, just ask mate.
    John Stenson
    JohnS, Apr 9, 2004
  4. Bob & Anni

    Quaoar Guest

    Bob & Anni wrote:
    > We've just bought a Canon 1D so before we get out there to play, are
    > then any tips you experienced users can pass on?
    > We cover motorsport so shoot loads of photos during the day with just
    > the car supply. We've therefore bought 2 batteries, 2 512MB high
    > speed CF cards, and already have Flash & batteries with 12V chargers.
    > From what we've seen so far, we intend to shoot in RAW only, drop the
    > files to something like a FlashTrax Device and work on them at home.
    > So, what if anything, should we be thinking of next?

    Take a lots of pictures, keeping an open mind about how *you* will
    eventually devise camera techniques, work flow, processing software,
    printing, and the like. Focus on how the camera performs and doesn't
    perform and how to make it your tool. Work this out for yourself. Pay
    no attention to the "experts"; you will be an "expert" yourself in no
    time at all. There is no correct method other than the method you find
    useful and productive.

    Quaoar, Apr 9, 2004
  5. Bob & Anni

    Bob & Anni Guest

    Thanks guys, our first day out with it tomorrow, done a few dummy runs and all is very easy, not much different to our EOS3.
    BTW Simon, we did read the manual(s), would be mad to spend this much on a camera and not do so.
    What I wanted was real life experiences to cut down the learning curve, sorry if we upset you - life's too short.
    Or as we say in our chosen sport, it's not how fast you go, it's how quick you get there!
    --
    Bob
    http://www.feel-the-noise.com
    Bob & Anni, Apr 9, 2004
  6. In article <40ydc.28580$9.net>,
    "JohnS" <> wrote:

    > "Simon Gardner" <[dot]co[dot]uk> wrote in message
    > > In article <juedc.31047$Y%9.net>,
    > > "Bob & Anni" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > We've just bought a Canon 1D so before we get out there to play, are then any
    > > > tips you experienced users can pass on?

    > > RTFM

    > That was very useful wasn't it

    Yup. It's the first tip I'd give anyone picking one up for the first time.
    Perhaps you think it's better not to?
    Simon Gardner, Apr 9, 2004