    away in the cd jacket. But the cds somehow get scratched up if you use
    them more then 4 to 5 times. Any tips?

    baaab

    baaas, Mar 31, 2005

  2. baaas wrote:

    > I am careful to not touch the burned side, and always put the cds (or dvds)
    > away in the cd jacket. But the cds somehow get scratched up if you use
    > them more then 4 to 5 times. Any tips?
    >
    > baaab

    Just a couple of tips, the top side with the foil layer and the printing
    is the fragile side. Scratches to the bottom side can be repaired 95% of
    the time by a professional scratch removal machine. If it gets scratched
    through the foil on the top side the disk is permanently screwed. You
    can buy plastic overlays to apply to the top of the disk to help protect
    it but careful handling is what most people use to keep the disk
    useable. I've got a bunch of data CDs on a spindle that have been used
    over and over and ... they still work fine because I'm somewhat careful
    with them.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 31, 2005

  3. baaas

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:44:30 -0500, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >baaas wrote:
    >
    >> I am careful to not touch the burned side, and always put the cds (or dvds)
    >> away in the cd jacket. But the cds somehow get scratched up if you use
    >> them more then 4 to 5 times. Any tips?
    >>
    >> baaab

    >Just a couple of tips, the top side with the foil layer and the printing
    >is the fragile side. Scratches to the bottom side can be repaired 95% of
    >the time by a professional scratch removal machine. If it gets scratched
    >through the foil on the top side the disk is permanently screwed. You
    >can buy plastic overlays to apply to the top of the disk to help protect
    >it but careful handling is what most people use to keep the disk
    >useable. I've got a bunch of data CDs on a spindle that have been used
    >over and over and ... they still work fine because I'm somewhat careful
    >with them.

    I take all of mine out of the flimsy sleeves and put them into hard cases, too
    (half-cases, actually.) I find that helps considerably. YMMV.

    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

    Mara, Mar 31, 2005
  4. baaas

    7 Guest

    baaas wrote:

    > I am careful to not touch the burned side, and always put the cds (or
    > dvds)
    > away in the cd jacket. But the cds somehow get scratched up if you use
    > them more then 4 to 5 times. Any tips?
    >
    > baaab

    If you have Linux like a liveCD, knoppix or mepis etc
    install to hard disk, and then copy the CDs in question
    to hard disk as an ISO image.
    With 160Gb HD costing about $50, you can store around 300 CDs to hard disk.
    Then using the mount command, you can access ALL the CDs at once.
    Fucking amazing!
    All totally free.
    Even if the PC can't recognize big disks, this will work
    so you can use old PCs.
    You can also put in Samba and access all those CDs under windopes share.

    7, Mar 31, 2005
  5. baaas

    Shalaw Salie Guest

    Shalaw Salie, Mar 31, 2005
  6. baaas

    EricP Guest

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:26:19 -0500, "baaas" <baa$$@yahoo.com> babbled
    like a waterfall and said:

    >I am careful to not touch the burned side, and always put the cds (or dvds)
    >away in the cd jacket. But the cds somehow get scratched up if you use
    >them more then 4 to 5 times. Any tips?
    >
    >baaab

    Copy them and use the copy.

    EricP, Mar 31, 2005
  7. 7 wrote:

    > With 160Gb HD costing about $50

    Where's that?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 31, 2005
  8. baaas

    7 Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:

    > 7 wrote:
    >
    >> With 160Gb HD costing about $50

    > Where's that?

    Jah! 50 pounds (usenet doesnt support pound sign)

    www.ebuyer.com

    7, Mar 31, 2005
  9. baaas

    @a. Guest

    baaas wrote on 31-03-05 07:26 :
    > I am careful to not touch the burned side, and always put the cds (or dvds)
    > away in the cd jacket. But the cds somehow get scratched up if you use
    > them more then 4 to 5 times. Any tips?

    stop using them.

    @a., Apr 1, 2005
  10. baaas

    JabberSmith Guest

    > > baaab

    > Just a couple of tips, the top side with the foil layer and the printing
    > is the fragile side. Scratches to the bottom side can be repaired 95% of
    > the time by a professional scratch removal machine.

    Or, also try;

    -candle wax (warmed in hand or on light bulb) buffed in gently with a finger
    and then soft cloth (chapstick, real car wax also work)

    - grease (a tiny tiny bit of butter)

    The problem is often the scratch refracts the laser too much, if it's
    smoothed out some sometimes it will work afterward.

    Then, burn a new cd of the scratched one if possible.

    JabberSmith, Apr 1, 2005
  11. baaas

    Scraggy Guest

    7 wrote:
    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >
    >> 7 wrote:
    >>
    >>> With 160Gb HD costing about $50

    >> Where's that?

    > Jah! 50 pounds (usenet doesnt support pound sign)
    >
    > www.ebuyer.com

    £, Que?
    --
    I told his psychiatrist that everyone hates him. He said I was being
    ridiculous - everyone hasn't met him yet. Rodney Dangerfield

    Scraggy, Apr 1, 2005
  12. baaas

    ellis_jay Guest

    ellis_jay, Apr 1, 2005