    demand more than the other.

    Also, is anyone using Visual Studio to learn either or
    both?
    Guest, Nov 19, 2003

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    True, there are more architectural layers and moving parts involved in a Web
    Form application than a Windows Form application.

    Guest, Nov 19, 2003

  3. How true... More work and less functionality! ;-)

    Leigh Kendall, Nov 20, 2003
  4. Guest

    Jay Walters Guest

    Yes - But.... I think Win Forms require a higher level of
    understanding.

    (Although possible) - in a disconnected Web Page, you
    tend not to worry about threading or sharing data across
    forms... (except as cached objects)

    Web Programming still tends to feel a bit procedural and
    single threaded.

    However in Win Forms, it's very common create and raise
    custom events, perform work asynchronously, access Win32
    libs, and share data across various objects in more of an
    OOP fashion...

    Anyone agree or disagree?

    Jay Walters, Nov 21, 2003
  5. Like I said, Web Apps give you less functionality for the most part.

    You can do MUCH more in a Windows Forms app.

    Leigh Kendall, Nov 22, 2003
  6. Guest

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >Like I said, Web Apps give you less functionality for the most part.
    >
    >You can do MUCH more in a Windows Forms app.

    ... and should (and are) be treated as completely separate development
    approaches, and used in an appropriate manner.
    Kline Sphere, Nov 23, 2003
  7. Guest

    GS Guest

    Jay I disagree with that. From a "learning .NET
    framework" point of view, ASP.NET throws in a whole whack
    of presentational topics which add to the courseload.

    With web forms you need to learn about the various
    webcontrols and how they work, how to lay them out, how
    to use templates with them, postback/caching/session
    state, culture information issues. There's more "plumbing
    work" involved in setting that up.

    Then consider the fact that the web app can be visited by
    a (theoretically) unlimited number of visitors with
    various browser types, versions, operating systems,
    screen sizes, number of colors, languages which are all
    completely beyond your control and subject to change.

    There's actually quite a bit you need to know about the
    presentational aspects of ASP.NET before you can start
    working on the actual functionality of the application
    and get into the nitty gritty of the framework.
    GS, Nov 23, 2003
  8. Guest

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >screen sizes, number of colors, languages which are all
    >completely beyond your control and subject to change.

    This more or less applies to both types of applications.
    Kline Sphere, Nov 23, 2003
  9. Guest

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >There's actually quite a bit you need to know about the
    >presentational aspects of ASP.NET before you can start
    >working on the actual functionality of the application
    >and get into the nitty gritty of the framework.

    This is very true. Although the vs environment attempts to do some of
    the mundane tasks for you, it will still be laborious and time
    consuming.
    Kline Sphere, Nov 23, 2003