    BTW Kathy this is one of those family jobs.

    Gary

    , Oct 22, 2003

  2. youngstr11 Guest

    Did you try Safe Mode

    youngstr11, Oct 22, 2003

  3. have you had this problem before? Have you tried F5 for safe mode or F8 for
    other boot options? What happened immediately prior to this problem? Have
    you recently added or deleted any software? Have you tried to use the NAV
    rescue disks that NAV will prompt you to make?

    Ronnie Broyles, Oct 22, 2003
  4. Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:22:25 -0400, "Ronnie Broyles"
    <> wrote:

    >have you had this problem before? Have you tried F5 for safe mode or F8 for
    >other boot options? What happened immediately prior to this problem? Have
    >you recently added or deleted any software? Have you tried to use the NAV
    >rescue disks that NAV will prompt you to make?
    >

    ><> wrote in message
    >> I have a PII 350 with Win98, it boots but I get no desktop, only the
    >> wallpaper shows up, no icons or start button. I tried to get it to
    >> boot from the norton SW pro CD but to no avail even though the bios
    >> shows it as an option. Any suggestions before I rebuild the machine?
    >>
    >> BTW Kathy this is one of those family jobs.
    >>
    >> Gary

    I don't know what precipitated this problem. It's not my computer. i
    have tried F5 + F8.

    , Oct 22, 2003
  5. immediately after you turn the computer on, begin tapping the F5 key, and
    continue tapping it--there is a limited amount of time to tap the key before
    it begins to bring up the desktop for Windows.

    Sometimes going into safe mode helps, sometimes it does not--depends on what
    is wrong.

    Ronnie Broyles, Oct 22, 2003
  6. On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:31:52 GMT, wrote:

    >On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:22:25 -0400, "Ronnie Broyles"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>have you had this problem before? Have you tried F5 for safe mode or F8 for
    >>other boot options? What happened immediately prior to this problem? Have
    >>you recently added or deleted any software? Have you tried to use the NAV
    >>rescue disks that NAV will prompt you to make?
    >>

    >><> wrote in message
    >>> I have a PII 350 with Win98, it boots but I get no desktop, only the
    >>> wallpaper shows up, no icons or start button. I tried to get it to
    >>> boot from the norton SW pro CD but to no avail even though the bios
    >>> shows it as an option. Any suggestions before I rebuild the machine?
    >>>
    >>> BTW Kathy this is one of those family jobs.
    >>>
    >>> Gary

    >I don't know what precipitated this problem. It's not my computer. i
    >have tried F5 + F8.

    Before you do anything drastic, simply try a Windows reinstall, over
    the top of the existing one. When playing with stuff like this, if I
    have the time, as a second effort I reinstall Windows in a different
    subdirectory to save the data, if it isn't backed up.

    Tom

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 22, 2003
  7. Guest

    >Before you do anything drastic, simply try a Windows reinstall, over
    >the top of the existing one. When playing with stuff like this, if I
    >have the time, as a second effort I reinstall Windows in a different
    >subdirectory to save the data, if it isn't backed up.
    >
    >Tom
    >
    >Tom

    I tried to reinstall Windows over the old one but it wouldn't let me
    because I have the full version. Anyway I rebuilt the machine since
    there was not any important data on it.

    Thanks for your help,

    Gary

    , Oct 23, 2003
  8. techshare Guest

    Some viruses will put a bogus copy of the explorer shell in the root folder.
    You should always check for that by trying to bootup with progman (or
    something along those lines) and going from there.

    techshare, Nov 3, 2003