    the same settings on my w98SE and it works perfectly.

    Any tips or suggestions?

    Lee
    Lee, Apr 20, 2005

  2. Lee

    Doug G Guest

    Lee wrote:
    > I am using Thunderbird 1.02 on WXP Home. For some reason I cannot get
    > rid of the newsgroup count. It reads at the bottom "checking newsgroup
    > __numbers_of 1589 on newsgroup Bellsouth for New Messages. I have
    > deleted the msf files. I have tried to delete a couple of newsgroups
    > with zero success. They just keep coming back. Funny thing is I have
    > the same settings on my w98SE and it works perfectly.
    >
    > Any tips or suggestions?
    >
    > Lee

    Are any of the files in your profile's News folder marked read-only?
    Doug G, Apr 20, 2005

  3. Lee

    Moz Champion Guest

    Doug G wrote:
    > Lee wrote:
    >
    >> I am using Thunderbird 1.02 on WXP Home. For some reason I cannot get
    >> rid of the newsgroup count. It reads at the bottom "checking newsgroup
    >> __numbers_of 1589 on newsgroup Bellsouth for New Messages. I have
    >> deleted the msf files. I have tried to delete a couple of newsgroups
    >> with zero success. They just keep coming back. Funny thing is I have
    >> the same settings on my w98SE and it works perfectly.
    >>
    >> Any tips or suggestions?
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Are any of the files in your profile's News folder marked read-only?

    unsubscribe to the newsgroups in question
    Moz Champion, Apr 20, 2005
  4. Lee

    Lee Guest

    Doug G wrote:
    > Lee wrote:
    >
    >> I am using Thunderbird 1.02 on WXP Home. For some reason I cannot get
    >> rid of the newsgroup count. It reads at the bottom "checking newsgroup
    >> __numbers_of 1589 on newsgroup Bellsouth for New Messages. I have
    >> deleted the msf files. I have tried to delete a couple of newsgroups
    >> with zero success. They just keep coming back. Funny thing is I have
    >> the same settings on my w98SE and it works perfectly.
    >>
    >> Any tips or suggestions?
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Are any of the files in your profile's News folder marked read-only?

    I checked and none of them are marked read only! Main reason for
    worrying about it is that the scan for files keeps getting bigger and
    bigger. I am talking about the numerics at the bottom of Thunderbird
    when it is scanning ng's for new messages. I even have it set to
    compact the files due to this. I just don't understand why w98se works
    OK and XP home does not. Thanks

    Lee
    Lee, Apr 20, 2005
  5. Lee

    Lee Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    > Doug G wrote:
    >
    >> Lee wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am using Thunderbird 1.02 on WXP Home. For some reason I cannot
    >>> get rid of the newsgroup count. It reads at the bottom "checking
    >>> newsgroup
    >>> __numbers_of 1589 on newsgroup Bellsouth for New Messages. I have
    >>> deleted the msf files. I have tried to delete a couple of newsgroups
    >>> with zero success. They just keep coming back. Funny thing is I
    >>> have the same settings on my w98SE and it works perfectly.
    >>>
    >>> Any tips or suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> Are any of the files in your profile's News folder marked read-only?

    > unsubscribe to the newsgroups in question

    Hi Moz

    I have tried but they just keep coming back! I have deleted from
    Thunderbird, I have deleted with explorer, I have even gone into
    Thunderbird prooperties and deleted them there! No other problems but
    the count at the bottom of the page just keeps building as if it does
    not clear those ng's that have been read.

    Thanks

    Lee
    Lee, Apr 20, 2005
  6. Lee

    Doug G Guest

    Lee wrote:
    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >> Doug G wrote:

    >>> Are any of the files in your profile's News folder marked read-only?

    >> unsubscribe to the newsgroups in question

    > Hi Moz
    >
    > I have tried but they just keep coming back! I have deleted from
    > Thunderbird, I have deleted with explorer, I have even gone into
    > Thunderbird prooperties and deleted them there! No other problems but
    > the count at the bottom of the page just keeps building as if it does
    > not clear those ng's that have been read.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Lee

    While Thunderbird is closed, try deleting the line that contains the
    newsgroup name and the numbers after it in the news.server.name.rc file
    in your profile's News folder. Open the *.rc file in a text editor like
    Notepad.

    The contents of a *.rc file looks something like this:

    alt.netscape: 1-54293,54295,54299,54300,54305
    netscape.public.general: 1-74801
    alt.fan.mozilla: 1-18971
    news.newusers.questions: 1-598673
    comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage: 1-300239
    Doug G, Apr 21, 2005
  7. Lee

    Moz Champion Guest

    Lee wrote:
    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >> Doug G wrote:

    >>> Are any of the files in your profile's News folder marked read-only?

    >> unsubscribe to the newsgroups in question

    > Hi Moz
    >
    > I have tried but they just keep coming back! I have deleted from
    > Thunderbird, I have deleted with explorer, I have even gone into
    > Thunderbird prooperties and deleted them there! No other problems but
    > the count at the bottom of the page just keeps building as if it does
    > not clear those ng's that have been read.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Lee

    No, dont go into the properities, unsubscribe!

    Bring up the server in question, look at the groups and uncheck them
    Moz Champion, Apr 21, 2005
  8. Lee

    Lee Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:

    > No, dont go into the properities, unsubscribe!
    >
    > Bring up the server in question, look at the groups and uncheck them

    Hi Moz

    I tried this and it did not work, fact is I tried it several time with
    no luck!

    Thanks

    Lee
    Lee, Apr 21, 2005
  9. Lee

    Z Guest

    Lee wrote:
    > I am using Thunderbird 1.02 on WXP Home. For some reason I cannot get
    > rid of the newsgroup count. It reads at the bottom "checking newsgroup
    > __numbers_of 1589 on newsgroup Bellsouth for New Messages. I have
    > deleted the msf files. I have tried to delete a couple of newsgroups
    > with zero success. They just keep coming back. Funny thing is I have
    > the same settings on my w98SE and it works perfectly.
    >
    > Any tips or suggestions?

    You could try to remove the News acct and then recreate it.
    Z, Apr 21, 2005
  10. Lee

    The One Guest

    "Lee" <> wrote in message
    > I am using Thunderbird 1.02 on WXP Home. For some reason I cannot get
    > rid of the newsgroup count. It reads at the bottom "checking newsgroup
    > __numbers_of 1589 on newsgroup Bellsouth for New Messages. I have
    > deleted the msf files. I have tried to delete a couple of newsgroups
    > with zero success. They just keep coming back. Funny thing is I have
    > the same settings on my w98SE and it works perfectly.
    >
    > Any tips or suggestions?
    >
    > Lee

    Oh dear you use TB for newsgroups....... oh dear!
    The One, Apr 21, 2005
  11. Lee

    Moz Champion Guest

    Lee wrote:
    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >

    >> No, dont go into the properities, unsubscribe!
    >>
    >> Bring up the server in question, look at the groups and uncheck them

    > Hi Moz
    >
    > I tried this and it did not work, fact is I tried it several time
    > with no luck!
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Lee

    Okay, stronger measures are called for.
    Dump the news server the groups are on, the entire thing
    Restart, and subscribe to the groups you want
    Moz Champion, Apr 22, 2005