Any suggestions on a reliable voip service?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by zcarenow@yahoo.com, Aug 7, 2006.

  1. I had a chat with the Vonage tech support person last night. He
    admitted that the signal-to-noise ratio is different with VoIP than with
    the PSTN, which can result in noticable hiss during what he called
    "silent periods" (ie. no one talking).

    Patrick Coghlan, Aug 9, 2006

  2. Guest

    wrote:
    > Any good ones out there? Please don't include Vonage. Thanks.

    www.mypeople.com

    Excellent fidelity due to a high bit rate codec.

    , Aug 9, 2006

  3. "Jonathan Roberts" <> wrote in message

    > "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
    > <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> There are some companies that allow you to bring and set up your own
    >> equipment. Some have really decent prices (no monthlies if you just
    >> want outgoing calls and 2cents/minute.) You can buy as expensive or
    >> cheap a voip phone as you want. I have pay by the minute accounts
    >> with both www.teliax.com and www.gafachi.com . Both are coming up on
    >> two years now and I'm still very happy with both. (Anyone that knows
    >> any other pay by the minute services please post! I'm always
    >> interested to hear of alternatives.)

    > I've been happy with voxee & voipjet for PAYGO.

    I've had good experiences with Teliax, VoipJet and Voxee. Also the services
    offered by the Finarea/Betamax companies have improved their quality, after
    they started to outsource the gateways to TVIconnect; the latency is
    especially low for customers in Europe (the gateways appear to be in the
    Netherlands). And 300 free minutes over 7 days to many "mainstream"
    destinations are a nice touch, although they have annoyed many users with
    their frequent changes to the list, and one has to buy 10 euro of credits
    every at least 120 days to keep the accounts alive. See
    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Finarea SA , with a free destinations
    table that I'm trying to keep reasonably up to date.

    Enzo

    Enzo Michelangeli, Aug 9, 2006
  4. Guest

    Enzo Michelangeli wrote:
    > I've had good experiences with Teliax, VoipJet and Voxee. Also the services
    > offered by the Finarea/Betamax companies have improved their quality, after
    > they started to outsource the gateways to TVIconnect; the latency is
    > especially low for customers in Europe (the gateways appear to be in the
    > Netherlands). And 300 free minutes over 7 days to many "mainstream"
    > destinations are a nice touch, although they have annoyed many users with
    > their frequent changes to the list, and one has to buy 10 euro of credits
    > every at least 120 days to keep the accounts alive. See
    > http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Finarea SA , with a free destinations
    > table that I'm trying to keep reasonably up to date.

    Yes, Teliax is also good. I have had some weird billing issues with
    them but they always fix them within 1-2 days. So all in all, not bad.

    I like Sipdiscount a lot. I route all of my US calling through it and
    also call 2 destinations in Europe. No problems so far.

    , Aug 9, 2006
  5. Patrick Coghlan <> writes:
    > I had a chat with the Vonage tech support person last night. He
    > admitted that the signal-to-noise ratio is different with VoIP than
    > with the PSTN, which can result in noticable hiss during what he
    > called "silent periods" (ie. no one talking).

    You never did say what your voip was encoded with. It is important.
    Do they use some compressing codec? VOIP when set up to maximize
    quality should be encoded with ulaw (aka G711u) same as POTS.
    If you fix that you should be see a large improvement.

    Personally, I can't see ever using a voip provider that doesn't let
    you see the full range of setting and change them if they aren't right
    for you.

    If you still are interested in experimenting, teliax allows you to
    start an account with $10 and that is good for 2,000 minutes of
    outbound-only traffic with no expiration or monthly. You bring your
    own phone or ATA. They'll let you set the phone up with whatever
    codec you like. It is also a low risk way to experiment with voip.

    -wolfgang

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Aug 9, 2006
  6. SIP providers usually only let you configure user-level features
    (voicemail etc.), not critical hardware settings. Can you imagine
    trying to troubleshoot the problems that can result from users changing
    settings whose consequences they don't really understand?

    Vonage never suggested changing the default encoding algorithm as a way
    to eliminate the background hiss from quiet periods.

    Patrick Coghlan, Aug 9, 2006
  7. Patrick Coghlan <> writes:
    > Vonage never suggested changing the default encoding algorithm as a
    > way to eliminate the background hiss from quiet periods.

    Vonage's business model may very well require that they compress the
    hell out of the audio stream. The bandwidth is cheaper for them that
    way (although it costs a bit more in CPU time to expand it again to
    ulaw when they gateway it into the PSTN).

    -wolfgang

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Aug 10, 2006
  8. DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
    <> wrote:

    >Patrick Coghlan <> writes:
    >> Vonage never suggested changing the default encoding algorithm as a
    >> way to eliminate the background hiss from quiet periods.

    >Vonage's business model may very well require that they compress the
    >hell out of the audio stream. The bandwidth is cheaper for them that
    >way (although it costs a bit more in CPU time to expand it again to
    >ulaw when they gateway it into the PSTN).

    So it all depends on what's cheaper today, bandwidth or CPU power.

    --
    They'll say, 'You can't joke about rape. Rape's not funny.'
    I can prove to you that rape is funny. Picture Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd.

    DevilsPGD, Aug 10, 2006
  9. <> wrote in message

    [...]
    > Yes, Teliax is also good. I have had some weird billing issues with
    > them but they always fix them within 1-2 days. So all in all, not bad.
    >
    > I like Sipdiscount a lot. I route all of my US calling through it and
    > also call 2 destinations in Europe. No problems so far.

    If you replace Sipdiscount with VoipStunt or, better (for the time being),
    VoipDiscount, you will enjoy the same quality (the servers are the same) but
    also gain a longer list of sort-of-free destinations: at the moment, 35 and
    48 respectively vs Sipdiscount's 17. It is true that the support for SIP is
    unofficial (they tend to push their free softphone which uses a proprietary
    protocol) but it works fine. On the other hand, no more IAX2 since they
    passed to TVIconnect's gateways, which are not based on Asterisk.

    By the way, has anybody tried Globotech
    (http://www.gtcomm.net/en/voipwholesale.php )? They do pay-as-you-go and
    their rates appear quite attractive.

    On the "don't walk, run" front, I suffered HORRENDOUS service from Sixtel
    (a.k.a. iax.cc): their termination to non-US destinations never managed to
    work properly, and my trouble tickets went unanswered (not to mention my
    requests for a refund). Well, at least I was not their only victim: see
    http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=iax.cc ... Now it seems they
    have merged with Exgn giving birth to a (misspelled ;-) ) "Vitelity". I hope
    the DNA of the newborn will mostly come from the other parent...

    Enzo

    Enzo Michelangeli, Aug 10, 2006
  10. paulnlso

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2010
    Messages:
    2
    I was in search of a calling service that gives me the facility of making international calls with good voice quality and reasonable calling rates. I read the reviews of Axvoice on the Internet and decided to acquire their connection.

    paulnlso, Aug 20, 2010
  11. bc0726

    Joined:
    May 27, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    I know so much has changed regarding VoIP service in the past few years and I know a few companies out there are doing it right. One of these is www.1-voip.com or 1-VoIP. Excellent customer service and call quality. PERFECT fit if you want to save some money if you need a home phone.

    bc0726, May 27, 2011
  12. Dean Mortensen

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2011