  1. Guest

    Any good ones out there? Please don't include Vonage. Thanks.
    , Aug 7, 2006

  2. Pat Coghlan Guest

    They're all somewhat r-e-l-i-a-b-l-e, but after trying a couple of
    providers, I'm sticking with my landline for now. Too much hiss and
    high-pitched tone in the background from these services.

    Pat Coghlan, Aug 7, 2006

  3. Thus spaketh Pat Coghlan:
    > They're all somewhat r-e-l-i-a-b-l-e, but after trying a couple of
    > providers, I'm sticking with my landline for now. Too much hiss and
    > high-pitched tone in the background from these services.
    >
    > wrote:
    >> Any good ones out there? Please don't include Vonage. Thanks.

    I get perfect sound, crystal clear, as good and better than a top-notch
    landline.

    People comment how clear the sound is.

    --
    www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Aug 7, 2006
  4. Pat Coghlan <> writes:
    > They're all somewhat r-e-l-i-a-b-l-e, but after trying a couple of
    > providers, I'm sticking with my landline for now. Too much hiss and
    > high-pitched tone in the background from these services.

    I believe you, but that shouldn't be. True end-to-end voip between a
    pair of voip phones will be much cleaner than any POTS conversation.
    After all the phone is doing the ulaw encoding in the phone a mere 3
    or so feet away from the phone's microphone. You don't have 14kft of
    wires to pick up stray signals before the ulaw conversion is done at
    the telco.

    For the best sound you do need to check that whatever service you are
    using is using ulaw encoding. If they are sending compressed data,
    you are going to get lower quality than pots.

    -wolfgang
    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Aug 7, 2006
  5. Pat Coghlan Guest

    I'm talking about noise when calling to the PSTN from a VoIP phone.

    The remote (PSTN) party's complaints are that my voice muffled/distant.
    On my end, I hear hiss and a high pitched tone when there should be dead
    air. I've tried 2 different providers so far, including Vonage.

    Pat Coghlan, Aug 7, 2006
  6. Rick Merrill Guest

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

    > Pat Coghlan <> writes:
    >
    >>They're all somewhat r-e-l-i-a-b-l-e, but after trying a couple of
    >>providers, I'm sticking with my landline for now. Too much hiss and
    >>high-pitched tone in the background from these services.

    > I believe you, but that shouldn't be. True end-to-end voip between a
    > pair of voip phones will be much cleaner than any POTS conversation.
    > After all the phone is doing the ulaw encoding in the phone a mere 3
    > or so feet away from the phone's microphone. You don't have 14kft of
    > wires to pick up stray signals before the ulaw conversion is done at
    > the telco.
    >
    > For the best sound you do need to check that whatever service you are
    > using is using ulaw encoding. If they are sending compressed data,
    > you are going to get lower quality than pots.
    >
    > -wolfgang

    I agree with WSR. I use ATT CallVantage.
    Rick Merrill, Aug 7, 2006
  7. Lena Guest

    Rick Merrill wrote:
    > I use ATT CallVantage.

    Me, too. :>)

    Lena
    Lena, Aug 7, 2006
  8. Jonathan Roberts, Aug 8, 2006
  9. Thus spaketh Jonathan Roberts:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> Any good ones out there? Please don't include Vonage. Thanks.
    >>

    > I've had good luck with
    >
    > www.sipdiscount.com

    I use one of their sister services VoIP Stunt, has more free countries,
    countries that I do from time to time call.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Aug 8, 2006
  10. Guest

    Any of these hardware independent? Basically, do i have to use
    specifically their equipment or can i get any router with phone ports.
    , Aug 8, 2006
  11. Pat Coghlan <> writes:
    >I'm talking about noise when calling to the PSTN from a VoIP phone.

    >The remote (PSTN) party's complaints are that my voice muffled/distant.
    >On my end, I hear hiss and a high pitched tone when there should be dead
    >air. I've tried 2 different providers so far, including Vonage.

    It could be the ATA device.
    My provider sent me a free Linksys PAP2 POS. I got around to
    hooking it up one day, and the line was all hiss and noise.
    My normal gear worked fine, so I basicly chucked the PAP2 out the door.
    Doug McIntyre, Aug 8, 2006
  12. <> wrote in message
    > Any of these hardware independent? Basically, do i have to use
    > specifically their equipment or can i get any router with phone ports.

    They all support bring your own device. I suggest trying them out one by
    one with a softphone until you find one you like (unless you already have
    the hardware).
    Jonathan Roberts, Aug 8, 2006
  13. Thus spaketh :
    > Any of these hardware independent? Basically, do i have to use
    > specifically their equipment or can i get any router with phone ports.

    I use VoIP Stunt on a PAP2 ATA, VoIP Stunt and their sister services
    don't sell/provide hardware, they get you to download their softphone
    and list the SIP details required for using your own hardware, be it
    ATA, VoIP Phone or router with VoIP ports, or you a SIP softphone of
    your own choice.
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Aug 8, 2006
  14. Thus spaketh Doug McIntyre:
    > Pat Coghlan <> writes:
    >> I'm talking about noise when calling to the PSTN from a VoIP phone.

    >> The remote (PSTN) party's complaints are that my voice
    >> muffled/distant. On my end, I hear hiss and a high pitched tone when
    >> there should be dead air. I've tried 2 different providers so far,
    >> including Vonage.

    > It could be the ATA device.
    > My provider sent me a free Linksys PAP2 POS. I got around to
    > hooking it up one day, and the line was all hiss and noise.
    > My normal gear worked fine, so I basicly chucked the PAP2 out the
    > door.

    My PAP2 is faultless, along with other people I know with the device,
    it's an excellent piece of kit.
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Aug 8, 2006
  15. Ivor Jones Guest

    "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
    wrote in message
    > Thus spaketh Pat Coghlan:
    > > They're all somewhat r-e-l-i-a-b-l-e, but after trying
    > > a couple of providers, I'm sticking with my landline
    > > for now. Too much hiss and high-pitched tone in the
    > > background from these services. wrote:
    > > > Any good ones out there? Please don't include Vonage.
    > > > Thanks.

    > I get perfect sound, crystal clear, as good and better
    > than a top-notch landline.
    >
    > People comment how clear the sound is.

    Indeed. I had a call from a friend in Arizona yesterday (I'm in the UK) on
    my FWD number (routed from my US IPKall number) and she made a point of
    asking me if I'd changed anything as the call quality was even better than
    usual. It's always been at least as good as the PSTN, in fact nobody has
    ever made any adverse comments on call quality on any of my several VoIP
    accounts (with three different providers).

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 8, 2006
  16. Guest

    So you are able to make regular calls with your regular phone with
    clear sounds? I am thinking about using my LINKSYS RTP router(same one
    from Vonage) which has 2 phone ports. How did u set yours up? Thanks.
    , Aug 8, 2006
  17. Pat Coghlan <> writes:
    > I'm talking about noise when calling to the PSTN from a VoIP phone.
    >
    > The remote (PSTN) party's complaints are that my voice
    > muffled/distant. On my end, I hear hiss and a high pitched tone when
    > there should be dead air. I've tried 2 different providers so far,
    > including Vonage.

    Sure, the company you use to get into the phone system can have a bad
    SIP->PSTN gateway (either badly designed, badly setup or just broken).
    Also, many VOIP companies buy their connectivity from some upstream.
    It may well be that even after you switched you were still on the same
    equipment. There could also be a problem at your end. Cordless
    phones are notoriously bad. Some put out so much noise that any
    compression the ATA does, has the compressor allocate most of the
    available bandwidth to moving the noise. This doesn't happen with
    POTS because POTS typically is uncompressed straight encoding called
    ulaw. This is another good reason why you want any compression on the
    SIP line. My feeling is it should be set up for straight ulaw.

    That doesn't damn the whole SIP idea. It is just that they can't do a
    good job of it. SIP when set up correctly is much cleaner than POTS.
    There is less chance for noise to enter the system and the signal is
    digitized much closer to the handset. The digitization method can
    (and in my opinion should be) the same as POTS - straight ulaw.

    There are some companies that allow you to bring and set up your own
    equipment. Some have really decent prices (no monthlies if you just
    want outgoing calls and 2cents/minute.) You can buy as expensive or
    cheap a voip phone as you want. I have pay by the minute accounts
    with both www.teliax.com and www.gafachi.com . Both are coming up on
    two years now and I'm still very happy with both. (Anyone that knows
    any other pay by the minute services please post! I'm always
    interested to hear of alternatives.)

    -wolfgang
    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Aug 8, 2006
  18. Thus spaketh :
    > So you are able to make regular calls with your regular phone with
    > clear sounds? I am thinking about using my LINKSYS RTP router(same one
    > from Vonage) which has 2 phone ports. How did u set yours up? Thanks.

    I have standard corded and a couple of DECT cordless phones connected to
    the PAP2, I can call regular phones without any problem, the calls are
    crystal clear, you wouldn't know I wasn't using a regular phone most the
    times, the only times someone says anything is when they say how clear
    the call is.

    I don't have a regular landline, I have broadband, no phone line, and
    use VoIP for all my calls, except my mobile for a few calls here and
    there.

    It was just a case of entering the SIP details onto the PAP2, and then
    setting up a dial plan, so I don't need to dial the full number for
    local calls etc.

    --
    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Aug 9, 2006
  19. "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
    <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > There are some companies that allow you to bring and set up your own
    > equipment. Some have really decent prices (no monthlies if you just
    > want outgoing calls and 2cents/minute.) You can buy as expensive or
    > cheap a voip phone as you want. I have pay by the minute accounts
    > with both www.teliax.com and www.gafachi.com . Both are coming up on
    > two years now and I'm still very happy with both. (Anyone that knows
    > any other pay by the minute services please post! I'm always
    > interested to hear of alternatives.)

    I've been happy with voxee & voipjet for PAYGO.
    Jonathan Roberts, Aug 9, 2006
  20. Pat Coghlan Guest

    I also suspect the SIP->PSTN gateway as being the weak link in the
    chain. I think Allstream is the 3rd party here in Ontario, Canada.

    In my case, I compared a call to the same destination with Vonage and
    Bell (my office voicemail). When I stopped talking, I could hear hiss
    and a high pitched carrier-like sound coming from the other end with
    Vonage. I heard dead air with my Bell landline.

    -Pat

    Pat Coghlan, Aug 9, 2006