    is reached.

    Let me know if you know of such a software for XP. Thanks.

    , Jan 13, 2008

  2. Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:27:42 -0800 (PST), Without Any
    Hesitation Or Thinking Twice, Stumbled Over To
    The Keyboard And wrote The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    News Group:

    > I'm looking for a software, preferably free, that will allow me to
    > limit how many hours my teen can spend chatting (Yahoo and MSN) and on
    > Facebook.
    >
    > She gets home before we do so physical monitoring is not always an
    > option so I need a software solution as well.
    >
    > I want to be able to limit the total time allowed for each such as,
    > say... 1 hour on MSN... 1 hour on Facebook... after which, the website
    > or program is blocked for the rest of the day. Ideally, the time
    > wouldn't have to be used in a block but accumulated until the 1 hour
    > is reached.
    >
    > Let me know if you know of such a software for XP. Thanks.

    ParentaCcontrol.exe
    --
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

    Old Gringo, Jan 14, 2008

  3. On 14 Jan, 00:12, Old Gringo <> wrote:
    > On Or About  Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:27:42 -0800 (PST), Without Any
    > Hesitation Or Thinking Twice, Stumbled Over To
    > The Keyboard And wrote The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > News Group:
    >
    > > I'm looking for a software, preferably free, that will allow me to
    > > limit how many hours my teen can spend chatting (Yahoo and MSN) and on
    > > Facebook.

    > > She gets home before we do so physical monitoring is not always an
    > > option so I need a software solution as well.

    > > I want to be able to limit the total time allowed for each such as,
    > > say... 1 hour on MSN... 1 hour on Facebook... after which, the website
    > > or program is blocked for the rest of the day.  Ideally, the time
    > > wouldn't have to be used in a block but accumulated until the 1 hour
    > > is reached.

    > > Let me know if you know of such a software for XP.  Thanks.

    > ParentaCcontrol.exe
    > --
    > Just West Of Nowhere
    > Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullesthttp://www.NuBoy-Industries.Com
    > 1/13/2008 6:10:07 PM CST

    Hello.

    I havent actually heard off anything that can do this but the only
    thing I could suggest would be to lock the internet down first off all
    before going to work, and then bascailly she cant get online until you
    return home to enter the password. It's a safey method, or you could
    get software to block most sites like MSN and Chatrooms then you as
    the Admin can enter the password and unlock all sites allowing her to
    access all site when you are around, but when you aint around she can
    only access trusted websites.

    Seaching on google you would get a good few programs that offer this,
    maybe even for free. Check the microsoft site.

    Regards,

    Colin (Computer Engineer)

    Computer Engineer Crean, Jan 14, 2008
  4. Thip Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for a software, preferably free, that will allow me to
    > limit how many hours my teen can spend chatting (Yahoo and MSN) and on
    > Facebook.

    My teen doesn't get online until I get home--and I sit where I can see the
    monitor. If she doesn't like it, tough--she can just stay off the computer.
    I'm the Mom and I make the rules.

    Thip, Jan 14, 2008
  5. Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About Sun, 13 Jan 2008 20:23:20 -0500, Without Any Hesitation
    Or Thinking Twice, Thip Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote The

    > <> wrote in message
    >> I'm looking for a software, preferably free, that will allow me to
    >> limit how many hours my teen can spend chatting (Yahoo and MSN) and on
    >> Facebook.
    >>

    > My teen doesn't get online until I get home--and I sit where I can see the
    > monitor. If she doesn't like it, tough--she can just stay off the computer.
    > I'm the Mom and I make the rules.

    Hip, Hip Hurray! Perfect solution.
    --
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    http://www.NuBoy-Industries.Com
    1/15/2008 8:39:18 AM CST

    Old Gringo, Jan 15, 2008
  6. Guest

    Thank you all for your suggestions.

    However, I am more concerned about limiting those two sites (MSN
    Messenger and Facebook) as these are the sites she spends way too much
    time on and simply want to limit the time allowed on each during the
    course of a day.

    I understand that nothing beats physical supervision but we are not
    home all the time and my main concern is not what she does online but
    rather, how much time she spends on there. I don't want to restrict
    access to the internet while i'm not home simply because she has
    homeworks to do that sometimes require searching on the internet so
    cutting off total access to the net is not a solution for us.

    Like I said... we find she spends too much time on those two things
    mentioned and I want to set a time limit on those.

    On Jan 13, 7:38 pm, Computer Engineer Crean
    <> wrote:
    > On 14 Jan, 00:12, Old Gringo <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Or About Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:27:42 -0800 (PST), Without Any
    > > Hesitation Or Thinking Twice, Stumbled Over To
    > > The Keyboard And wrote The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > > News Group:

    > > > I'm looking for a software, preferably free, that will allow me to
    > > > limit how many hours my teen can spend chatting (Yahoo and MSN) and on
    > > > Facebook.

    > > > She gets home before we do so physical monitoring is not always an
    > > > option so I need a software solution as well.

    > > > I want to be able to limit the total time allowed for each such as,
    > > > say... 1 hour on MSN... 1 hour on Facebook... after which, the website
    > > > or program is blocked for the rest of the day. Ideally, the time
    > > > wouldn't have to be used in a block but accumulated until the 1 hour
    > > > is reached.

    > > > Let me know if you know of such a software for XP. Thanks.

    > > ParentaCcontrol.exe
    > > --
    > > Just West Of Nowhere
    > > Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullesthttp://www.NuBoy-Industries.Com
    > > 1/13/2008 6:10:07 PM CST

    > Hello.
    >
    > I havent actually heard off anything that can do this but the only
    > thing I could suggest would be to lock the internet down first off all
    > before going to work, and then bascailly she cant get online until you
    > return home to enter the password. It's a safey method, or you could
    > get software to block most sites like MSN and Chatrooms then you as
    > the Admin can enter the password and unlock all sites allowing her to
    > access all site when you are around, but when you aint around she can
    > only access trusted websites.
    >
    > Seaching on google you would get a good few programs that offer this,
    > maybe even for free. Check the microsoft site.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Colin (Computer Engineer)

    , Jan 16, 2008
  7. Guest

    Is ParentaCcontrol a real software? A google search found nothing
    under that name.

    On Jan 13, 7:12 pm, Old Gringo <> wrote:
    > On Or About Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:27:42 -0800 (PST), Without Any
    > Hesitation Or Thinking Twice, Stumbled Over To
    > The Keyboard And wrote The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > News Group:
    >
    > > I'm looking for a software, preferably free, that will allow me to
    > > limit how many hours my teen can spend chatting (Yahoo and MSN) and on
    > > Facebook.

    > > She gets home before we do so physical monitoring is not always an
    > > option so I need a software solution as well.

    > > I want to be able to limit the total time allowed for each such as,
    > > say... 1 hour on MSN... 1 hour on Facebook... after which, the website
    > > or program is blocked for the rest of the day. Ideally, the time
    > > wouldn't have to be used in a block but accumulated until the 1 hour
    > > is reached.

    > > Let me know if you know of such a software for XP. Thanks.

    > ParentaCcontrol.exe
    > --
    > Just West Of Nowhere
    > Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullesthttp://www.NuBoy-Industries.Com
    > 1/13/2008 6:10:07 PM CST

    , Jan 16, 2008
  8. meerkat Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Is ParentaCcontrol a real software? A google search found nothing
    > under that name.

    snipped.

    Investigate this one TZ.
    http://www.parentalcontrolbar.org/

    bw..

    meerkat, Jan 16, 2008
  9. TJ Guest

    "meerkat" wrote:

    > <> wrote in message

    >> Is ParentaCcontrol a real software? A google search found nothing
    >> under that name.
    >>

    > snipped.
    >>

    > Investigate this one TZ.
    > http://www.parentalcontrolbar.org/

    What's with the sudden influx of people who can't control their kids?

    Anyway, your suggestion above appears to be just another content-blocker
    that's easily defeated.

    If I had a kid who didn't respect me enough to do as he or she was told,
    there would be NO computer unless I was around to supervise the goings-on.

    There are many ways to "break" the Internet via control panel even if it's
    a dial-up connection/internal modem. Breaking the standard cable/dsl setup
    is even easier and requires 0 technical skill.

    Should take less than 30 seconds to disconnect a cable/dsl modem and take
    it with you.

    And another 30 seconds to reconnect it when you get home.

    No software required. :)

    TJ, Jan 16, 2008
  10. Guest

    I came across this site during my search but this one does not meet my
    requirements as access to sites are either ON or OFF... what i need is
    something based on a timer.

    Thanks anyways!

    On Jan 16, 10:36 am, "meerkat" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:...> Is ParentaCcontrol a real software? A google search found nothing
    > > under that name.

    > snipped.
    >
    > Investigate this one TZ.http://www.parentalcontrolbar.org/
    >
    > bw..

    , Jan 16, 2008
  11. Guest

    And what's with the sudden influx of people who can't keep their
    opinions to themselves?

    The question is simple... if you know of such a software, then
    reply... if not, then move on!

    I'm in need of a useful piece of software, not a useless piece of your
    mind, thank you.

    On Jan 16, 12:30 pm, TJ <> wrote:
    > "meerkat" wrote:
    > > <> wrote in message
    > >> Is ParentaCcontrol a real software? A google search found nothing
    > >> under that name.

    > > snipped.

    > > Investigate this one TZ.
    > >http://www.parentalcontrolbar.org/

    > What's with the sudden influx of people who can't control their kids?
    >
    > Anyway, your suggestion above appears to be just another content-blocker
    > that's easily defeated.
    >
    > If I had a kid who didn't respect me enough to do as he or she was told,
    > there would be NO computer unless I was around to supervise the goings-on.
    >
    > There are many ways to "break" the Internet via control panel even if it's
    > a dial-up connection/internal modem. Breaking the standard cable/dsl setup
    > is even easier and requires 0 technical skill.
    >
    > Should take less than 30 seconds to disconnect a cable/dsl modem and take
    > it with you.
    >
    > And another 30 seconds to reconnect it when you get home.
    >
    > No software required. :)

    , Jan 16, 2008
  12. Maria Guest

    The only was I have found to do something like you want.....Is as follows
    Set your computer to come out of sleep/Hibernation at a particular time IE:
    when the child comes home from school and set it to go back into sleep or
    hibernation an hour or two later be sure the task is password
    protected.....I noticed you wanted it to do what I explained but not
    necessarly as one block sorry I can't help you there. You can set it to do
    this an infinate number of times daily,weekly,monthly,yearly.

    Hope this helps you
    Good luck

    Phil

    Maria, Jan 16, 2008
  13. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    > I'm looking for a software, preferably free, that will allow me to
    > limit how many hours my teen can spend chatting (Yahoo and MSN) and on
    > Facebook.

    You are imagining the wrong approach to this issue.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 16, 2008