Any Software or Command to Format XD Card on a Computer ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by maildrop999@yahoo.com, Apr 18, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Any Software or Command to Format XD Card on a Computer ?

    My XD cards got damaged. When inserted in Olympus brand camera, I
    get the error message - CARD ERROR. So, further operations,
    including
    Re-Formatting these damaged cards in the Camera is not possible.

    I understand that these cards are formatted in Fat-12 bits, the same
    configuration as is on Floppy disks. I tried to Re-format them, using
    USB Card Reader on a computer, where USB port is activated even in
    DOS mode. The computer was booted from a Floppy disk and I used
    the Windows 98 Format command. The cards are readable / Writable
    in
    Card Readers (DOS Mode - Boot From Floppy) and Windows Mode
    (Win 98 or XP). But they are not readable by the Camera.

    Is there any Software or a Command Line, which can Re-Format these
    XD cards, so that they are readable by the Olympus brand
    cameras ?

    The cards sizes are: 16 MB, 64 MB and 128 MB

    Thanks

    Frank Gatta

    April 18, 2008

    ..

    , Apr 18, 2008

  2. ray Guest

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 23:15:44 -0700, maildrop999 wrote:

    > Any Software or Command to Format XD Card on a Computer ?
    >
    > My XD cards got damaged. When inserted in Olympus brand camera, I get
    > the error message - CARD ERROR. So, further operations, including
    > Re-Formatting these damaged cards in the Camera is not possible.
    >
    > I understand that these cards are formatted in Fat-12 bits, the same
    > configuration as is on Floppy disks. I tried to Re-format them, using a
    > USB Card Reader on a computer, where USB port is activated even in DOS
    > mode. The computer was booted from a Floppy disk and I used the
    > Windows 98 Format command. The cards are readable / Writable in
    > Card Readers (DOS Mode - Boot From Floppy) and Windows Mode (Win 98
    > or XP). But they are not readable by the Camera.
    >
    > Is there any Software or a Command Line, which can Re-Format these
    > XD cards, so that they are readable by the Olympus brand cameras ?
    >
    > The cards sizes are: 16 MB, 64 MB and 128 MB
    >

    > Thanks
    >

    > Frank Gatta
    >

    > April 18, 2008
    >
    > .

    If you can't format it in the camera, it's most likely toast.

    ray, Apr 18, 2008

  3. Dave Cohen Guest

    ray wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 23:15:44 -0700, maildrop999 wrote:
    >
    >> Any Software or Command to Format XD Card on a Computer ?
    >>
    >> My XD cards got damaged. When inserted in Olympus brand camera, I get
    >> the error message - CARD ERROR. So, further operations, including
    >> Re-Formatting these damaged cards in the Camera is not possible.
    >>
    >> I understand that these cards are formatted in Fat-12 bits, the same
    >> configuration as is on Floppy disks. I tried to Re-format them, using a
    >> USB Card Reader on a computer, where USB port is activated even in DOS
    >> mode. The computer was booted from a Floppy disk and I used the
    >> Windows 98 Format command. The cards are readable / Writable in
    >> Card Readers (DOS Mode - Boot From Floppy) and Windows Mode (Win 98
    >> or XP). But they are not readable by the Camera.
    >>
    >> Is there any Software or a Command Line, which can Re-Format these
    >> XD cards, so that they are readable by the Olympus brand cameras ?
    >>
    >> The cards sizes are: 16 MB, 64 MB and 128 MB
    >>

    >> Thanks
    >>

    >> Frank Gatta
    >>

    >> April 18, 2008
    >>
    >> .

    > If you can't format it in the camera, it's most likely toast.

    But if I'm understanding the op, they seem to be working in a card
    reader. I don't understand the fat12 bit so right now I'm confused. At
    the current price of cards and the small capacities quoted it may just
    be time for a newer card although if the guy has a problem with 3 cards
    I have my doubts if the problem really is the card. Maybe a friendly
    camera shop will make sure a new card will format prior to purchase.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Apr 18, 2008
  4. Dave Cohen wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 23:15:44 -0700, maildrop999 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Any Software or Command to Format XD Card on a Computer ?
    >>> ==============================================
    >>>
    >>> My XD cards got damaged. When inserted in Olympus brand camera, I get
    >>> the error message - CARD ERROR. So, further operations, including
    >>> Re-Formatting these damaged cards in the Camera is not possible.
    >>>
    >>> I understand that these cards are formatted in Fat-12 bits, the same
    >>> configuration as is on Floppy disks. I tried to Re-format them, using
    >>> a USB Card Reader on a computer, where USB port is activated even in
    >>> DOS mode. The computer was booted from a Floppy disk and I used the
    >>> Windows 98 Format command. The cards are readable / Writable in Card
    >>> Readers (DOS Mode - Boot From Floppy) and Windows Mode (Win 98 or
    >>> XP). But they are not readable by the Camera.
    >>>
    >>> Is there any Software or a Command Line, which can Re-Format these
    >>> XD cards, so that they are readable by the Olympus brand cameras ?
    >>>
    >>> The cards sizes are: 16 MB, 64 MB and 128 MB
    >>>

    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >>> Frank Gatta
    >>>

    >>> April 18, 2008
    >>>
    >>> .

    >> If you can't format it in the camera, it's most likely toast.

    > But if I'm understanding the op, they seem to be working in a card reader.
    > I don't understand the fat12 bit so right now I'm confused. At the current
    > price of cards and the small capacities quoted it may just be time for a
    > newer card although if the guy has a problem with 3 cards I have my doubts
    > if the problem really is the card. Maybe a friendly camera shop will make
    > sure a new card will format prior to purchase. Dave Cohen

    Here's some more confusion: I think fat-12 is only capable of addressing
    16MB.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups