    reformatting it is of less interest.

    Thanks

    anthonyberet
    anthonyberet, Mar 25, 2009

  2. anthonyberet

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 13:17:52 +0000, anthonyberet wrote:

    >Hi. A thumbdrive of mine developed an error, reported by Vista, where it
    >sometimes offers to scan and fix, but then reports it can't access the

    <snip>

    >Does any one know of any diagnostic software that can do more to access

    None of the stuff mentioned in 24HSHD before worked?
    try looking there first, so see what was tried / what worked.

    32 results for usb flash recover
    30 results for usb flash data recovery
    2 results for usb data recovery
    47 results for flash data recovery

    nor anything found using
    www.google.com
    Web Results 1 - 10 of about 467,000 for
    usb data recovery
    .. (0.25 seconds)

    www.usbdriverecovery.org/
    www.recoverdatatools.com/usb-data-recovery.html
    www.pcstats.com/artvnl.cfm?articleID=1869
    www.diskdoctors.net/fat-data-recovery/software.html
    lots of others.

    >and save the data? I am not too bothered about saving the drive, so
    >reformatting it is of less interest.

    Me
    why?, Mar 25, 2009

  3. anthonyberet

    G. Morgan Guest

    anthonyberet wrote:

    >Does any one know of any diagnostic software that can do more to access
    >and save the data? I am not too bothered about saving the drive, so
    >reformatting it is of less interest.

    This one gets good reviews (free):
    http://www.recuva.com/

    I have not had an opportunity to test/try it. If you try it I'd be interested
    in your results.
    G. Morgan, Mar 25, 2009
  4. anthonyberet

    Guest

    Re: Any software around to attempt data-recovery on a dead USBthumb-drive?

    anthonyberet wrote:
    > Hi. A thumbdrive of mine developed an error, reported by Vista, where it
    > sometimes offers to scan and fix, but then reports it can't access the
    > drive. At other times Vista doesn't detect the drive at all. In XP it
    > also doesn't detect the drive when inserted, although it sometimes makes
    > the 'USB connected' sound.
    >
    > I have tried numerous different USB ports on two machines. Other USB
    > drives work ok.
    >
    > Does any one know of any diagnostic software that can do more to access
    > and save the data? I am not too bothered about saving the drive, so
    > reformatting it is of less interest.

    I think it's what I used before. http://www.undelete-plus.com/

    It worked installed on a failing hard drive finding all selected file
    formats? that were deleted. Fairly fast also.

    Let us know if you use it or what works
    , Mar 27, 2009
  5. Re: Any software around to attempt data-recovery on a dead USBthumb-drive?

    www.pcrecovery.com
    Rockingham500, Mar 28, 2009