    alternatives?

    What is your experience with Skype?
    , Jun 10, 2004

  2. DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <<>>
    did ramble:

    >If yes...... how does it compare to some of the
    >alternatives?
    >
    >What is your experience with Skype?

    Quality isn't quite as good as FWD-Vonage (A call originating on FWD,
    but connected through the Vonage gateway)

    Skype is pretty easy to set up and operate though, much more so then
    FWD, so for non-technical users, this is the route I'd recommend.

    --
    Q. How many Microsoft technicians does it take to change a lightbulb?
    A. Three. Two to hold the ladder and one to hammer the bulb into a faucet.
    DevilsPGD, Jun 10, 2004

  3. Juan Guest

    Very good, excelent sound quality, better than SIP phones.
    Juan
    Juan, Jun 10, 2004
  4. SPD Guest

    Juan wrote:
    > Very good, excelent sound quality, better than SIP phones.
    > Juan

    What codec did you use to get such quality? Was it ILBC?
    SPD, Jun 10, 2004
  5. Juan Guest

    Juan, Jun 10, 2004
  6. Christen Fihl, Jun 10, 2004
  7. Guest

    >Quality isn't quite as good as FWD-Vonage (A call originating on FWD,
    >but connected through the Vonage gateway)

    Dumb question on my part.... but what is FWD?
    , Jun 11, 2004
  8. Guest

    >Skype is pretty easy to set up and operate though, much more so then
    >FWD, so for non-technical users, this is the route I'd recommend.

    Good advice and than you!

    I agree with you. It is so easy to use that even my non
    techy brother could get Skype running and use it!!

    Tell me tho..... is there ant merit buying one of those
    USB boom/mics for it? Or are the cheap boom/mics you
    use thru your sound card just fine?

    I don't have a boom/mic and would like to buy one.
    Hence the question abt them.
    , Jun 11, 2004
  9. Guest

    >Using 16 KBytes, you sure get good quality ;-)

    Agreed!!

    Another dumb question on my part....

    but is there anyway to make Skype record a call when Im
    not at my PC..... just like a phone answering machine
    would on a reg phone?
    , Jun 11, 2004
  10. SPD Guest

    Free World Dialup http://www.pulver.com/fwd
    SPD, Jun 11, 2004
  11. Juan wrote:

    > Very good, excelent sound quality, better than SIP phones.
    > Juan

    Wht CoDec did U use and what is the up/down stream U get from using such a
    CoDec? I have setup a VoIPBlaster, VB, (using fobbit's driver + software)
    and can't atest skype quality is better than my VB, yet the up/down streams
    are only 2/2KBps (16/16Kbps, a total of 32Kbps < 56Kbps dialup bandwidth).

    --
    root/administrator
    root/administrator, Jun 22, 2004
  12. wrote:

    >>Skype is pretty easy to set up and operate though, much more so then
    >>FWD, so for non-technical users, this is the route I'd recommend.

    > Good advice and than you!
    >
    > I agree with you. It is so easy to use that even my non
    > techy brother could get Skype running and use it!!
    >
    > Tell me tho..... is there ant merit buying one of those
    > USB boom/mics for it? Or are the cheap boom/mics you
    > use thru your sound card just fine?

    Unless you want to be corded while talking through Skype, I would recommend
    to find any audio/sound port -> RJ-11 conversion device to attach a
    cordless phone and you will be able to mobile freely in your house within
    the realm of your cordless phone (don't have to be sitting in-front-of your
    computer while talking through Skype). I will be honest with anyone here
    that sometimes I had to visit the john while talking through Skype without
    any interference.

    --
    root/administrator
    root/administrator, Jun 22, 2004
  13. Guest

    >Unless you want to be corded while talking through Skype, I would recommend
    >to find any audio/sound port -> RJ-11 conversion device to attach a
    >cordless phone and you will be able to mobile freely in your house within
    >the realm of your cordless phone (don't have to be sitting in-front-of your
    >computer while talking through Skype). I will be honest with anyone here
    >that sometimes I had to visit the john while talking through Skype without
    >any interference.

    Good advice!

    Any opinions on what such device to order?

    And.....can I then use any cordless type phone such as
    I would buy at say Walmart?
    , Jun 22, 2004