    Regards

    JK
    , Mar 1, 2005

  2. Keithd Guest

    Hello,

    Here is an Internet Phone Service that you may be
    interested in. 3WTel. Their VoIP software is very secure,
    and they offer a free 7 day trial.

    http://www.free-internet-phone-service.com

    There VoIP service will work on broadband,
    dial up, satellite or wireless connection.

    Keithd, Mar 14, 2005
  4. Miguel Cruz Guest

    Keithd <> wrote:
    > Here is an Internet Phone Service that you may be
    > interested in. 3WTel. Their VoIP software is very secure,
    > and they offer a free 7 day trial.
    >
    > http://www.free-internet-phone-service.com

    If I am going to use a closed-source, non-standards-compliant proprietary
    system that requires my computer to be turned on, why wouldn't I use Skype
    instead?

    Skype is free instead of $5/month.

    Skype has cheaper rates for calls to "real" phones.

    Skype is cross-platform, so it's available to Mac and Linux users.

    Skype has much wider distribution, so people I want to talk with are less
    likely to have to download and install some new piece of mysterious
    software.

    miguel
    --
    Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
    Latest photos: Malaysia, Israel, Palestine, Austria, Thailand
    Miguel Cruz, Mar 14, 2005
  5. (Miguel Cruz) writes:
    > If I am going to use a closed-source, non-standards-compliant proprietary
    > system that requires my computer to be turned on, why wouldn't I use Skype
    > instead?

    Personally, I'm going to stick to auditable open-source code.

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/ip-telephony/index.php?p=98

    -wolfgang
    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Mar 14, 2005
  6. Keithd Guest

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
    > (Miguel Cruz) writes:
    > > If I am going to use a closed-source, non-standards-compliant

    proprietary
    > > system that requires my computer to be turned on, why wouldn't I

    use Skype
    > > instead?

    > Personally, I'm going to stick to auditable open-source code.
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/ip-telephony/index.php?p=98
    >
    > -wolfgang

    Thanks wolfgang,

    Its sad how many poor unknowing people get taken from software venders
    just because they think they are getting something for free.

    IF anyone takes the time to read the link above they will see first
    hand that there is no such thing as a free ride.

    They end up paying one way or another.

    Five lousy dollars a month for the quality that 3Wtel provides, and the

    security it offers has been money well spent.

    Open source code is another name for Hackers enter here...

    I just love this post put up by someone else....

    I like to make this anaolgy to my customers: You hear about this great
    group that lets you join to get free gasoline for your car. They have
    developed a system to get gas from a pump without paying for it. You
    are excited, finally something for free that you really need. So you
    fill up your tank with the free gas. Well, what you didn't know was
    that while your tank was being filled, your plugs were getting fouled,
    your fuel injectors had been plugged, your timing had been changed, and
    your tired had been deflated. So you hop in your car with your free
    full tank of gas and head down the road. But after a few days of
    driving, you notice your car no longer has any pep, it begins to stall,
    and other strange things begin to occur. So you take it to your local
    garage and get it tuned up and all the problems fixed. You grudgingly
    pay the repairman $500 for all the work he had to perform and complain
    that you only paid $2000 for the car to begin with. But your car is now
    running fine again. That tank of gas just cost you $500, a few days at
    the service station, and you couldn't get to where you waanted to go
    for those few days. But it was all worth it because you got a
    "free" tank of gas. I like to make this anaolgy to my customers:
    Keithd, Mar 22, 2005
  7. "Keithd" <> writes:
    > Its sad how many poor unknowing people get taken from software venders
    > just because they think they are getting something for free.

    Free is not the same as open.

    The good kind of free is the collaborative effort of hundreds of
    people that together put out a product you couldn't buy for money if
    you wanted to. It is a bit like the difference some 9-to-5er at
    jiffy-lube changing your oil and over-torquing the drain plug because
    he simply doesn't care, and some automobile enthusiast that cares
    about some fine restored automobile carefully doing everything just
    right.

    Free and open software is written by enthusiasts for *themselves*
    because they need that software. It might be freely given to other
    folks, but that is not the main point. The point is that the good
    stuff is done with a much higher standard because they want it for
    themselves.

    > IF anyone takes the time to read the link above they will see first
    > hand that there is no such thing as a free ride.
    > They end up paying one way or another.
    > Five lousy dollars a month for the quality that 3Wtel provides, and the
    > security it offers has been money well spent.

    Why? Is their stuff open? I've never heard of them.

    > Open source code is another name for Hackers enter here...

    Ahem.

    Paying money in and of itself doesn't guarantee any sort of code
    quality or freedom from trojans. You have only to look as far as
    Microsoft and their various slip-shot offerings and their virus/worms
    of the week. Unless the code is open for inspection and determined to
    be of high quality one is only inviting trouble.

    -wolfgang
    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Mar 22, 2005
  8. On 13 Mar 2005 21:04:12 -0800, "Keithd"
    <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Here is an Internet Phone Service that you may be
    >interested in. 3WTel. Their VoIP software is very secure,
    >and they offer a free 7 day trial.
    >
    >http://www.free-internet-phone-service.com
    >
    >There VoIP service will work on broadband,
    >dial up, satellite or wireless connection.

    Check out www.rocketvoip.com
    Unlimited calling to over 50 countries for $24.95 a month
    Registered User, Apr 14, 2005