Any recommendations re: economy internet phone service- Vonage / Skype ?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by anna, Feb 6, 2005.

  1. anna

    anna Guest

    Any recommendations re: economy internet phone service- Vonage / Skype
    ?

    I have heard of Vonage, Skype etc ?
    Which is most economical ?

    We make between 6 and 12 hours of long distance calls per month.(mostly
    US)

    What service/plan is best for us ?

    Any companies to avoid ?
    Are all calls equally clear ? in terms of static ?

    Also what headsets do to get. Would like to get a headset/phone that
    gives clear reception. Prefer to avoid the static on the line.

    Any help would be highly appreciated.

    Thanks
    Anna

    anna, Feb 6, 2005

  2. anna

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    anna <> wrote:
    > Any recommendations re: economy internet phone service- Vonage / Skype?
    >
    > I have heard of Vonage, Skype etc?
    > Which is most economical?

    They have very different pricing models. Vonage is based on a higher monthly
    fee that includes a base number of minutes (or, depending on the plan,
    "unlimited" minutes), whereas Skype is pay-as-you-go.

    Also, Vonage uses normal telephones, while Skype uses your computer.

    And you cannot receive calls from normal phones with Skype - you need to
    keep a regular phone line as well.

    Another one to look at is Broadvoice, which has a wider range of plans than
    Vonage but still lets you use a normal phone.

    > We make between 6 and 12 hours of long distance calls per month.(mostly US)

    At 3 cents a minute, 6 hours would cost you about $11 a la carte. 12 hours
    would cost you $22. So a plan that cost much more than the average (say,
    $16) would of course not be economical in your case.

    miguel
    --
    Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu

    Miguel Cruz, Feb 6, 2005

  3. anna

    Ivor Jones Guest

    anna wrote:
    > Any recommendations re: economy internet phone service- Vonage /
    > Skype ?
    >
    > I have heard of Vonage, Skype etc ?
    > Which is most economical ?
    >
    > We make between 6 and 12 hours of long distance calls per
    > month.(mostly US)
    >
    > What service/plan is best for us ?
    >
    > Any companies to avoid ?
    > Are all calls equally clear ? in terms of static ?
    >
    > Also what headsets do to get. Would like to get a headset/phone that
    > gives clear reception. Prefer to avoid the static on the line.
    >
    > Any help would be highly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Anna

    It would help to know in which country you are located. Also are the
    people you call also on VoIP or do you need to call ordinary phone
    lines..? Do you receive calls from them as well..?

    I use www.sipgate.co.uk and it has for the most part been excellent. Call
    quality is no different to a normal phone and with the hardware adaptor
    (rather than using a PC with a headset) I can plug in a normal telephone
    and unless you follow the cable when it comes out of the back of the phone
    you can't tell it from a normal landline. It even has a normal phone
    number in the same area code as my normal line.

    Calls between users of the service are free, there are also agreements
    with several other VoIP providers to give free calls also. Calls to the
    public phone network do cost money of course but the rates are for the
    most part very cheap, although this does vary country by country.

    Hope this helps,

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 6, 2005
  4. anna

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Re: Any recommendations re: economy internet phone service- Vonage/ Skype ?

    Miguel Cruz wrote:

    > anna <> wrote:
    >
    >>Any recommendations re: economy internet phone service- Vonage / Skype?
    >>
    >>I have heard of Vonage, Skype etc?
    >>Which is most economical?

    > They have very different pricing models. Vonage is based on a higher monthly
    > fee that includes a base number of minutes (or, depending on the plan,
    > "unlimited" minutes), whereas Skype is pay-as-you-go.
    >
    > Also, Vonage uses normal telephones, while Skype uses your computer.
    >
    > And you cannot receive calls from normal phones with Skype - you need to
    > keep a regular phone line as well.
    >
    > Another one to look at is Broadvoice, which has a wider range of plans than
    > Vonage but still lets you use a normal phone.
    >

    >>We make between 6 and 12 hours of long distance calls per month.(mostly US)

    > At 3 cents a minute, 6 hours would cost you about $11 a la carte. 12 hours
    > would cost you $22. So a plan that cost much more than the average (say,
    > $16) would of course not be economical in your case.
    >
    > miguel

    There's also VoiceWing and CallVantage, which is a flat fee with
    unlimited long distance!

    Rick Merrill, Feb 6, 2005
  5. Re: Any recommendations re: economy internet phone service- Vonage/ Skype ?

    (Miguel Cruz) writes:
    > At 3 cents a minute, 6 hours would cost you about $11 a la carte. 12 hours
    > would cost you $22. So a plan that cost much more than the average (say,
    > $16) would of course not be economical in your case.

    And 3 cents/minute is already kind of high. Heck, you can get POTS
    long distance for 2.75 cents/min from ECG.

    There are quite a few places offering 2 cents/minute, and one or two
    offering 1-cent-and-change. (off the top of my head gafachi and
    nufone are 2cents, simple telecom is 1.7 is cents.) The important
    thing to look for is folks that don't want you to buy a locked-up ATA
    or phone that you can only use with them.

    In my opinion, the best low cost, true voip, phone is the Grandstream
    Bugetone 101 for ~$70. (While the sipura-841 for ~$85 has a much
    nicer LCD, the sound quality just isn't there.)

    -wolfgang
    Hate software patents? Sign here: http://thankpoland.info/

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Feb 7, 2005
  6. anna

    Carl Navarro Guest

    On 6 Feb 2005 09:15:35 -0800, "anna" <> wrote:

    >Any recommendations re: economy internet phone service- Vonage / Skype
    >?
    >
    >I have heard of Vonage, Skype etc ?
    >Which is most economical ?
    >
    >We make between 6 and 12 hours of long distance calls per month.(mostly
    >US)
    >'
    >What service/plan is best for us ?

    Where are you calling from? US-US calls on Packet8 is $19.95/month
    for flat rate residential unlimited calling. If you're not in the US,
    the rate is $19.95 for 1000 minutes.

    >Any companies to avoid ?
    >Are all calls equally clear ? in terms of static ?

    They basically all suck. It's not static, it's dropoits.

    >Also what headsets do to get. Would like to get a headset/phone that
    >gives clear reception. Prefer to avoid the static on the line.
    >
    >Any help would be highly appreciated.

    Go to www.packet8.com. In residential you get a box. Plug your phone
    into it or a key system line and you can hang whatever you want on it.

    Carl Navarro

    Carl Navarro, Feb 7, 2005
  7. anna

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

    > (Miguel Cruz) writes:
    >
    >>At 3 cents a minute, 6 hours would cost you about $11 a la carte. 12 hours
    >>would cost you $22. So a plan that cost much more than the average (say,
    >>$16) would of course not be economical in your case.

    > And 3 cents/minute is already kind of high. Heck, you can get POTS
    > long distance for 2.75 cents/min from ECG.
    >
    > There are quite a few places offering 2 cents/minute, and one or two
    > offering 1-cent-and-change. (off the top of my head gafachi and
    > nufone are 2cents, simple telecom is 1.7 is cents.) The important
    > thing to look for is folks that don't want you to buy a locked-up ATA
    > or phone that you can only use with them.
    >
    > In my opinion, the best low cost, true voip, phone is the Grandstream
    > Bugetone 101 for ~$70. (While the sipura-841 for ~$85 has a much
    > nicer LCD, the sound quality just isn't there.)
    >
    > -wolfgang

    Does the "VoIP Phone" you speak of include the TA (telephone adapter or
    the ATA , analog telephone adapter) ? - RM

    Rick Merrill, Feb 7, 2005
  8. anna

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Rick Merrill <> wrote:
    > Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
    >> In my opinion, the best low cost, true voip, phone is the Grandstream
    >> Bugetone 101 for ~$70. (While the sipura-841 for ~$85 has a much
    >> nicer LCD, the sound quality just isn't there.)

    > Does the "VoIP Phone" you speak of include the TA (telephone adapter or
    > the ATA , analog telephone adapter) ? - RM

    They are complete devices - basically, physical telephones with ethernet
    ports.

    www.grandstream.com

    miguel
    --
    Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu

    Miguel Cruz, Feb 7, 2005
  9. anna

    Miguel Cruz wrote:
    > Rick Merrill <> wrote:
    >
    >>Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
    >>
    >>>In my opinion, the best low cost, true voip, phone is the Grandstream
    >>>Bugetone 101 for ~$70. (While the sipura-841 for ~$85 has a much
    >>>nicer LCD, the sound quality just isn't there.)

    >>Does the "VoIP Phone" you speak of include the TA (telephone adapter or
    >>the ATA , analog telephone adapter) ? - RM

    > They are complete devices - basically, physical telephones with ethernet
    > ports.
    >
    > www.grandstream.com
    >
    > miguel

    So can you plug them into your LAN and make calls to one another? What
    happens if one user is transfering large files from one computer to
    another? (i.e. how is QoS (quality of service) maintained?) -- RM

    Rick Merrill, Feb 7, 2005
  10. anna

    Mitel Lurker Guest

    If you'd prefer a non-voip, toll-grade LD provider at a mere 2½¢ per
    minute total (US-Domestic), with no fees, no connect charges, no
    membership, no lost/unused minutes and NO TAXES, you might want to look
    into One Suite <http://www.onesuite.com>

    Mitel Lurker, Feb 7, 2005
  11. anna

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Rick Merrill <> wrote:
    > Miguel Cruz wrote:
    >> They are complete devices - basically, physical telephones with ethernet
    >> ports.
    >>
    >> www.grandstream.com

    > So can you plug them into your LAN and make calls to one another?

    Yes.

    > What happens if one user is transfering large files from one computer to
    > another? (i.e. how is QoS (quality of service) maintained?

    It's maintained by your network infrastructure configuration. If you do
    local routing you can prioritize any traffic you like. I would think that in
    most small local networks this will not be an issue.

    miguel
    --
    Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu

    Miguel Cruz, Feb 7, 2005
  12. Re: Any recommendations re: economy internet phone service- Vonage/ Skype ?

    Rick Merrill <> writes:
    > Does the "VoIP Phone" you speak of include the TA (telephone adapter
    > or the ATA , analog telephone adapter) ? - RM

    It is like a normal phone but instead of an rj11 for your 2-wire
    analog phone signal it has an rj-45 that you plug into an ethernet
    jack.

    http://www.grandstream.com/y-bt100.htm

    The advantage over one of those ATA's is you can get better sound
    quality. Talking between a pair of true IP phones quiet and clean
    with no far-side echo.

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Feb 7, 2005
  13. anna

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
    > Rick Merrill <> writes:
    >> Does the "VoIP Phone" you speak of include the TA (telephone
    >> adapter or the ATA , analog telephone adapter) ? - RM

    > It is like a normal phone but instead of an rj11 for your 2-wire
    > analog phone signal it has an rj-45 that you plug into an ethernet
    > jack.
    >
    > http://www.grandstream.com/y-bt100.htm
    >
    > The advantage over one of those ATA's is you can get better sound
    > quality. Talking between a pair of true IP phones quiet and clean
    > with no far-side echo.
    >
    > -wolfgang

    I use an ATA-486 from the same company and so far the call quality has
    been excellent. I have had 15+ minute conversations with friends in the US
    that are indistinguishable from normal landlines in terms of quality.

    The advantage over the phone you mention is I can plug any analogue phone
    into it, such as a cordless handset. I can also plug a normal answering
    machine or a fax machine in and use it as normal.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 7, 2005
  14. anna

    Miguel Cruz wrote:
    > Rick Merrill <> wrote:
    >
    >>Miguel Cruz wrote:
    >>
    >>>They are complete devices - basically, physical telephones with ethernet
    >>>ports.
    >>>
    >>>www.grandstream.com

    >>So can you plug them into your LAN and make calls to one another?

    > Yes.
    >

    >>What happens if one user is transfering large files from one computer to
    >>another? (i.e. how is QoS (quality of service) maintained?

    > It's maintained by your network infrastructure configuration. If you do
    > local routing you can prioritize any traffic you like. I would think that in
    > most small local networks this will not be an issue.
    >
    > miguel

    Pretty cool. And you can move phones with people and not have to make
    changes in the local exchange. When you call outside, how does your
    provider 'provision' each phone?

    Rick Merrill, Feb 7, 2005
  15. Re: Any recommendations re: economy internet phone service- Vonage/ Skype ?

    "Ivor Jones" <> writes:
    > The advantage over the phone you mention is I can plug any analogue phone
    > into it, such as a cordless handset. I can also plug a normal answering
    > machine or a fax machine in and use it as normal.

    The down side is that you end of having two ratty-old telephone hybrid
    transformers in series with hour audio path (one in the phone and one
    in the ata). Each of them introduces a bit of echo and distortion.
    With a voip phone you can eliminated all that.

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Feb 7, 2005
  16. anna

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
    > "Ivor Jones" <> writes:
    >> The advantage over the phone you mention is I can plug any
    >> analogue phone into it, such as a cordless handset. I can also
    >> plug a normal answering machine or a fax machine in and use it as
    >> normal.

    > The down side is that you end of having two ratty-old telephone
    > hybrid transformers in series with hour audio path (one in the
    > phone and one in the ata). Each of them introduces a bit of echo
    > and distortion. With a voip phone you can eliminated all that.

    I've not noticed anything like that here. Works fine, quality as good as
    an ordinary landline, at least to my ears.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 7, 2005
  17. anna

    Michael Guest

    Vonage Tec support sucks voice mail from the phone works some times and
    you can never reach tech support.

    The Linksys Phone Adapter ( which I've never liked ) has to be rebooted
    about every other day other then that the call quaility is pretty good
    and I do like the unlimited LD. Better then SBC, so I'm dealing with it
    until a better offer comes around.

    michael b

    Mitel Lurker wrote:
    > If you'd prefer a non-voip, toll-grade LD provider at a mere 2½¢

    per
    > minute total (US-Domestic), with no fees, no connect charges, no
    > membership, no lost/unused minutes and NO TAXES, you might want to

    look
    > into One Suite <http://www.onesuite.com>
    >

    > In article <>

    "anna"