    Is it best to use an IAX or SIP provider?

    Many questions. Would very much appreciate any comments.

    Angus

    Angus Comber, Feb 26, 2006

  2. Angus Comber wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I have been playing with and deploying asterisk systems working on
    > traditional PSTN lines for more than a year now. But have not yet tried
    > routing external calls over VoIP. I want to test this now. Can anyone
    > recommend a good provider in the UK for a small business eg 3-4 lines.
    >
    > Are there any providers where you can setup a 'free' account where you do
    > not have to pay if calling another IP phone?

    There are plenty of these around, although afaik the only provider that
    will give you a free incoming number is sipgate.

    voip.co.uk will charge you a one off fee of £2 for an incoming number
    (also SIP only).

    Before choosing a provider, you should really try and work out how
    heavily the service will be used.

    At the moment I can't get more than 2 channels (incoming) working at a
    time with voip.co.uk, but that may be a problem at my end. (not sure
    what, I can get may sipgate accounts working at once.)

    > Is it best to use an IAX or SIP provider?

    You will use less bandwidth (especially if you are making multiple
    simultaneous calls) using IAX, sadly there are few providers that seem
    to support it.

    > Many questions. Would very much appreciate any comments.

    If you are making a lot of simultaneous calls, you may want to tell
    asterisk to use a codec that has compression, there are details
    regarding runtime requirement for these in the digium manual. (although
    any fairly decent modern machine wouldn't have a problem with 3 channels).

    Thomas Kenyon, Feb 26, 2006

  3. Angus Comber

    Guest

    On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:56:55 GMT, Thomas Kenyon
    <> wrote:

    >voip.co.uk will charge you a one off fee of £2 for an incoming number
    >(also SIP only).

    Are you sure about this Thomas I hope you are I was thinking was 2.00
    pr month .

    , Feb 26, 2006
  4. Angus Comber

    Scope Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:56:55 GMT, Thomas Kenyon
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> voip.co.uk will charge you a one off fee of £2 for an incoming number
    >> (also SIP only).

    > Are you sure about this Thomas I hope you are I was thinking was 2.00
    > pr month .

    Looking at their website I'd say the fee is only for additional local
    numbers, the first one if free. Secondly, it says a £2 setup fee per
    number, so to me that means a one off fee, not £2 a month, but I might
    be wrong.

    Scope, Feb 26, 2006
  5. Angus Comber

    alexd Guest

    Angus Comber wrote:

    > I have been playing with and deploying asterisk systems working on
    > traditional PSTN lines for more than a year now. But have not yet tried
    > routing external calls over VoIP. I want to test this now. Can anyone
    > recommend a good provider in the UK for a small business eg 3-4 lines.

    Well you're in luck here. Competition is pretty fierce in the VoIP market,
    so you really do get what you pay for. Sipgate is pure PAYG, but can be
    prone to flakiness [allegedly]. Gradwell are highly regarded in every other
    area they do business in, so I doubt they'd be any different in VoIP.

    > Are there any providers where you can setup a 'free' account where you do
    > not have to pay if calling another IP phone?

    There's no reason why calling another SIP or IAX phone over t' net should
    cost you anything if the recipient is willing; in the unlikely event that
    your ISTP's proxy bars or charges for calls placed to other IP phones, a
    simple

    exten => 1234,1,Dial(SIP/,30)

    should do the trick! Some phones even come with Qwerty keyboards nowadays,
    so dialling directly is a possibility.

    > Is it best to use an IAX or SIP provider?

    You can trunk with IAX, but not with SIP. So if you're likely to have
    simultaneous calls in one direction, then you could well realise bandwidth
    savings with IAX. I believe Gradwell do IAX termination. On the other hand,
    more devices support SIP than IAX, but this probably an irrelevance if
    you've got Asterisk to do translating for you.

    > Many questions. Would very much appreciate any comments.

    Sipgate being pretty cheap makes it easy to have a dabble without too much
    outlay. Well worth a fiddle.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    20:46:52 up 32 days, 1:05, 3 users, load average: 0.05, 0.20, 0.39

    alexd, Feb 26, 2006
  6. Angus Comber

    PL Guest

    Scope wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:56:55 GMT, Thomas Kenyon
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> voip.co.uk will charge you a one off fee of £2 for an incoming number
    >>> (also SIP only).

    >> Are you sure about this Thomas I hope you are I was thinking was 2.00
    >> pr month .

    > Looking at their website I'd say the fee is only for additional local
    > numbers, the first one if free. Secondly, it says a £2 setup fee per
    > number, so to me that means a one off fee, not £2 a month, but I might
    > be wrong.

    You're right on both accounts. First number is free (with the right
    subscription) and £2 set up fee for each subsequent number, with no
    monthly charge. Memorable numbers they are too, especially if you're
    lucky enough to bag the first number on your std. For example, I've got
    01*** 708600.

    PL, Feb 26, 2006
  7. Angus Comber

    Guest

    On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:03:34 +0000, Scope <> wrote:

    >Looking at their website I'd say the fee is only for additional local
    >numbers, the first one if free.

    Nope they charged me for first and second number .
    >Secondly, it says a £2 setup fee per
    >number, so to me that means a one off fee, not £2 a month, but I might
    >be wrong.

    You are probably right I just assumed it was pr month wasn't bothered
    anyway what's four quid a month these days for a good service. Hope
    they get the numbers working correctly again tomorrow. The first was
    ok after 24 hours but when I got the second last week it knocked the
    first one out and they are saying the problem is at their end not
    mine, just hoping this outfit isn't going to turn out to be another
    Sipgate must say no trouble with only one number though .

    , Feb 26, 2006
  8. In article <dtsska$doa$1$>,
    Angus Comber <> wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I have been playing with and deploying asterisk systems working on
    > traditional PSTN lines for more than a year now. But have not yet tried
    > routing external calls over VoIP. I want to test this now. Can anyone
    > recommend a good provider in the UK for a small business eg 3-4 lines.

    I've had good service from www.voiptalk.org. They can provide incoming
    numbers for a one-off charge.

    > Are there any providers where you can setup a 'free' account where you do
    > not have to pay if calling another IP phone?

    You certainly can call other voiptalk subscribers for free. They may also
    gateway to other networks free - I haven't checked as I don't need that.

    > Is it best to use an IAX or SIP provider?

    Others have answered this. Voiptalk can do both SIP and IAX. I use IAX.

    > Many questions. Would very much appreciate any comments.

    Hope this helps
    Tony
    --
    Tony Mountifield