    The well known digital photo software programs do not offer the quality
    of image correction I'm seeking.

    Thnak-you

    socraticquest, Jan 14, 2007

  2. socraticquest

    Guest

    socraticquest wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Any recommendations for downloads of automatic image correction
    > software e.g., removal of scratches?

    Need more detail. Are these negative/slides? If so, the best way to
    remove scratches is to use ICE (or equivalent) on an IR capable scanner
    - it uses the IR to help determine what is image and what is defect.
    If you cannot do that, then you are limited to software that will try
    to guess what is the scratch - late versions of PS do this I think, and
    there is also a freeware program made by Polaroid that is still
    findable if you look around. Neither approach is 100% successful, as
    it can never be quite sure what is a defect - sometimes real image
    detail looks exactly like a scratch.

    > The software I'm seeking automatically corrects "image noise" scratches
    > by applying pattern recognition of an entire image, and projecting
    > pixel patterns based on the entire image.

    Er, yep, I guess. The term "image noise scratches" is a bit obscure,
    but it does sound like you are talking about film scans.

    > The well known digital photo software programs do not offer the quality
    > of image correction I'm seeking.

    Well, perhaps you had better give an example of what you are trying to
    fix, and how the 'well known programs' have failed you, if your level
    of fussiness is so high!

    If I have an image I cannot re-scan with ICE, I just carefully use the
    clone tool.

    > Thnak-you

    My plsaeure!

    , Jan 14, 2007

  3. wrote:
    > socraticquest wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > Any recommendations for downloads of automatic image correction
    > > software e.g., removal of scratches?

    > Need more detail. Are these negative/slides? If so, the best way to
    > remove scratches is to use ICE (or equivalent) on an IR capable scanner
    > - it uses the IR to help determine what is image and what is defect.
    > If you cannot do that, then you are limited to software that will try
    > to guess what is the scratch - late versions of PS do this I think, and
    > there is also a freeware program made by Polaroid that is still
    > findable if you look around. Neither approach is 100% successful, as
    > it can never be quite sure what is a defect - sometimes real image
    > detail looks exactly like a scratch.
    >
    > > The software I'm seeking automatically corrects "image noise" scratches
    > > by applying pattern recognition of an entire image, and projecting
    > > pixel patterns based on the entire image.

    > Er, yep, I guess. The term "image noise scratches" is a bit obscure,
    > but it does sound like you are talking about film scans.
    >
    > > The well known digital photo software programs do not offer the quality
    > > of image correction I'm seeking.

    > Well, perhaps you had better give an example of what you are trying to
    > fix, and how the 'well known programs' have failed you, if your level
    > of fussiness is so high!
    >
    > If I have an image I cannot re-scan with ICE, I just carefully use the
    > clone tool.
    >

    > > Thnak-you

    > My plsaeure!

    I'm seeking software that applies anomaly detection analysis on scanned
    images, or stored digital images i.e., software that auotmatically
    tries to discern defects (image noise like scratches, unwanted objects,
    etc.)

    The software I'm seeking specializes in 'digital ICE' -- not that there
    is anything wrong with the 'well known' digital image preograms.

    socraticquest, Jan 14, 2007
  4. In article <>,
    "socraticquest" <> wrote:

    > I'm seeking software that applies anomaly detection analysis on scanned
    > images, or stored digital images i.e., software that auotmatically
    > tries to discern defects (image noise like scratches, unwanted objects,
    > etc.)

    The answer to that is none.

    Noise reduction software causes loss of detail.

    I don't know what you mean by "unwanted objects". Perhaps your idiot
    brother in law at the family reunion?

    carrying a cross."
    Sinclair Lewis

    Ockham's Razor, Jan 14, 2007
  5. socraticquest

    Roy G Guest

    "socraticquest" <> wrote in message

    > wrote:
    >> socraticquest wrote:
    >> > Hello,
    >> >
    >> > Any recommendations for downloads of automatic image correction
    >> > software e.g., removal of scratches?

    >> Need more detail. Are these negative/slides? If so, the best way to
    >> remove scratches is to use ICE (or equivalent) on an IR capable scanner
    >> - it uses the IR to help determine what is image and what is defect.
    >> If you cannot do that, then you are limited to software that will try
    >> to guess what is the scratch - late versions of PS do this I think, and
    >> there is also a freeware program made by Polaroid that is still
    >> findable if you look around. Neither approach is 100% successful, as
    >> it can never be quite sure what is a defect - sometimes real image
    >> detail looks exactly like a scratch.
    >>
    >> > The software I'm seeking automatically corrects "image noise" scratches
    >> > by applying pattern recognition of an entire image, and projecting
    >> > pixel patterns based on the entire image.

    >> Er, yep, I guess. The term "image noise scratches" is a bit obscure,
    >> but it does sound like you are talking about film scans.
    >>
    >> > The well known digital photo software programs do not offer the quality
    >> > of image correction I'm seeking.

    >> Well, perhaps you had better give an example of what you are trying to
    >> fix, and how the 'well known programs' have failed you, if your level
    >> of fussiness is so high!
    >>
    >> If I have an image I cannot re-scan with ICE, I just carefully use the
    >> clone tool.
    >>

    >> > Thnak-you

    >> My plsaeure!

    > I'm seeking software that applies anomaly detection analysis on scanned
    > images, or stored digital images i.e., software that auotmatically
    > tries to discern defects (image noise like scratches, unwanted objects,
    > etc.)
    >
    > The software I'm seeking specializes in 'digital ICE' -- not that there
    > is anything wrong with the 'well known' digital image preograms.

    NASA or the Pentagon might have something to do what you want, but even if
    they offered to sell you a copy, you could not afford it.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Jan 14, 2007
  6. socraticquest

    Guest

    socraticquest wrote:
    > I'm seeking software that applies anomaly detection analysis on scanned
    > images, or stored digital images i.e., software that auotmatically
    > tries to discern defects (image noise like scratches, unwanted objects,
    > etc.)

    Well, to repeat myself, late versions of Photoshop try to do it. And
    there is Polaroid's effort here:

    http://www.polaroid.com/service/software/poladsr/poladsr.html

    > The software I'm seeking specializes in 'digital ICE' -- not that there
    > is anything wrong with the 'well known' digital image preograms.

    ICE can ONLY be used on scans with an InfraRed component, and it is
    therefore a program you use at the time of scanning, on an IR-capable
    scanner. Fullstop. You cannot use ICE on any 'normal' image, unless
    that image has been saved with an IR channel (ie - no 'normal' image).
    ICE detects the actual dust and scratch via that special IR channel -
    and it does not use any great measure of intelligence to determine if
    the defect actually 'looks like' a defect. It either is or isn't.
    That's why ICE generally works poorly (or not at all) on Kodachrome and
    (silver-based) b&w films, due to their very different IR
    characteristics. In those cases ICE can't tell that what it is a
    defect against what is image information, and it does interesting
    damage!

    In other words, what you seem to be seeking is not available, except
    for the techniques mentioned above, and you will always be
    disappointed, I suspect.

    , Jan 15, 2007
  7. socraticquest

    tomm42 Guest

    On Jan 15, 4:04 am, wrote:
    > socraticquest wrote:
    > > I'm seeking software that applies anomaly detection analysis on scanned
    > > images, or stored digital images i.e., software that auotmatically
    > > tries to discern defects (image noise like scratches, unwanted objects,
    > > etc.)Well, to repeat myself, late versions of Photoshop try to do it. And

    > there is Polaroid's effort here:
    >
    > http://www.polaroid.com/service/software/poladsr/poladsr.html
    >
    > > The software I'm seeking specializes in 'digital ICE' -- not that there
    > > is anything wrong with the 'well known' digital image preograms.ICE can ONLY be used on scans with an InfraRed component, and it is

    > therefore a program you use at the time of scanning, on an IR-capable
    > scanner. Fullstop. You cannot use ICE on any 'normal' image, unless
    > that image has been saved with an IR channel (ie - no 'normal' image).
    > ICE detects the actual dust and scratch via that special IR channel -
    > and it does not use any great measure of intelligence to determine if
    > the defect actually 'looks like' a defect. It either is or isn't.
    > That's why ICE generally works poorly (or not at all) on Kodachrome and
    > (silver-based) b&w films, due to their very different IR
    > characteristics. In those cases ICE can't tell that what it is a
    > defect against what is image information, and it does interesting
    > damage!
    >
    > In other words, what you seem to be seeking is not available, except
    > for the techniques mentioned above, and you will always be
    > disappointed, I suspect.

    The only process that does what want is the Photoshop Healing Brush. It
    only works on user defined areas and can be troublsome if that area
    includes an edge or something necessary to the image. Then the clone
    tool works better. There are techniques to cover an entire image with
    itself, to cover very dusty images, you can find that in Photoshop
    retouching books. If these images are slides, transparencies and to a
    lesser degree prints. Rescanning with Digital Ice is the way to go.

    Tom

    tomm42, Jan 15, 2007
  8. wrote:
    > socraticquest wrote:
    > > I'm seeking software that applies anomaly detection analysis on scanned
    > > images, or stored digital images i.e., software that auotmatically
    > > tries to discern defects (image noise like scratches, unwanted objects,
    > > etc.)

    > Well, to repeat myself, late versions of Photoshop try to do it. And
    > there is Polaroid's effort here:
    >
    > http://www.polaroid.com/service/software/poladsr/poladsr.html
    >
    > > The software I'm seeking specializes in 'digital ICE' -- not that there
    > > is anything wrong with the 'well known' digital image preograms.

    > ICE can ONLY be used on scans with an InfraRed component, and it is
    > therefore a program you use at the time of scanning, on an IR-capable
    > scanner. Fullstop. You cannot use ICE on any 'normal' image, unless
    > that image has been saved with an IR channel (ie - no 'normal' image).
    > ICE detects the actual dust and scratch via that special IR channel -
    > and it does not use any great measure of intelligence to determine if
    > the defect actually 'looks like' a defect. It either is or isn't.
    > That's why ICE generally works poorly (or not at all) on Kodachrome and
    > (silver-based) b&w films, due to their very different IR
    > characteristics. In those cases ICE can't tell that what it is a
    > defect against what is image information, and it does interesting
    > damage!
    >
    > In other words, what you seem to be seeking is not available, except
    > for the techniques mentioned above, and you will always be
    > disappointed, I suspect.

    I located the Polaroid software that T'm currently evaluating. The
    image reconstruction software I'm seeking may apply artificial
    intelligence (AI) e.g., neural networks, Bayesian nets are processes
    that are often mentioned.

    AI programs for pattern recognition, anomoly detection in images are
    largley available for business/institutional uses; too expensive for
    public availability. With technological capabilities increasing and
    dropping in price, it may not be long before sopisticated image
    reconstruction software is widely available.

    Kodak researchers seem to be ahead of the curve in making sopisticated
    image reconstruction software widely available. Any recommendations for
    photo/image processing kiosks available at many large retail stores
    that apply image reconstruction?

    Thank-you

    socraticquest, Jan 15, 2007
  9. socraticquest wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > socraticquest wrote:
    > > > I'm seeking software that applies anomaly detection analysis on scanned
    > > > images, or stored digital images i.e., software that auotmatically
    > > > tries to discern defects (image noise like scratches, unwanted objects,
    > > > etc.)

    > > Well, to repeat myself, late versions of Photoshop try to do it. And
    > > there is Polaroid's effort here:
    > >
    > > http://www.polaroid.com/service/software/poladsr/poladsr.html
    > >
    > > > The software I'm seeking specializes in 'digital ICE' -- not that there
    > > > is anything wrong with the 'well known' digital image preograms.

    > > ICE can ONLY be used on scans with an InfraRed component, and it is
    > > therefore a program you use at the time of scanning, on an IR-capable
    > > scanner. Fullstop. You cannot use ICE on any 'normal' image, unless
    > > that image has been saved with an IR channel (ie - no 'normal' image).
    > > ICE detects the actual dust and scratch via that special IR channel -
    > > and it does not use any great measure of intelligence to determine if
    > > the defect actually 'looks like' a defect. It either is or isn't.
    > > That's why ICE generally works poorly (or not at all) on Kodachrome and
    > > (silver-based) b&w films, due to their very different IR
    > > characteristics. In those cases ICE can't tell that what it is a
    > > defect against what is image information, and it does interesting
    > > damage!
    > >
    > > In other words, what you seem to be seeking is not available, except
    > > for the techniques mentioned above, and you will always be
    > > disappointed, I suspect.

    > I located the Polaroid software that T'm currently evaluating. The
    > image reconstruction software I'm seeking may apply artificial
    > intelligence (AI) e.g., neural networks, Bayesian nets are processes
    > that are often mentioned.
    >
    > AI programs for pattern recognition, anomoly detection in images are
    > largley available for business/institutional uses; too expensive for
    > public availability. With technological capabilities increasing and
    > dropping in price, it may not be long before sopisticated image
    > reconstruction software is widely available.
    >
    > Kodak researchers seem to be ahead of the curve in making sopisticated
    > image reconstruction software widely available. Any recommendations for
    > photo/image processing kiosks available at many large retail stores
    > that apply image reconstruction?
    >
    > Thank-you

    The process of 'inpainting' also describes "image reconstruction." Any
    recommendations for downloads applying 'inpainting?'

    socraticquest, Jan 17, 2007
  10. Digital ICE is software and hardware. It is done and can only be done at the
    time of scanning. It works with negatives, slides and more recently prints.
    However, there is no software that can do what it does in software only. As
    I said it is software and hardware.

    ljc

    Little Juice Coupe, Jan 18, 2007