    So any reason to get Bluray player and a new TV or should I stick with my
    old DVD player and send a letter to George Lucas why I'm not buying any
    Buyray stuff yet.
    SNOTTYS, Jun 20, 2009

  2. On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:08:14 GMT, " SNOTTYS" <>
    wrote:

    > Tron (seems that glowy
    >effect is bad on Bluray conversion)

    You're an idiot. No video frame cannot be digitized 100%
    Archimedes' Lever, Jun 20, 2009

  3. On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:08:14 GMT, " SNOTTYS" <>
    wrote:

    > and original Star Wars (supposedly
    >original are destroyed but I don't want the CGI-enhanced version from 1990)

    Good for you.
    Archimedes' Lever, Jun 20, 2009
  4. On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:08:14 GMT, " SNOTTYS" <>
    wrote:

    >So any reason to get Bluray player and a new TV or should I stick with my
    >old DVD player and send a letter to George Lucas why I'm not buying any
    >Buyray stuff yet.

    Yeah, that's it, idiot. Stiffle your usage of modern technology based
    on your Luddite mentality. That's real intelligent.
    Archimedes' Lever, Jun 20, 2009
  5. On Jun 20, 5:08 am, " SNOTTYS" <> wrote:
    > My favorite genere is sci-fi and I'm partial to the 70's and 80's era
    > movies.  I've watched a few 1080 movies at my brother's house and it does
    > show some details but it seems special effect of that era don't digitize
    > very well and ends up with a rather grainy movie.  And to top it off, 2
    > movies I wanted the most are not out in 1080 at all: Tron (seems that glowy
    > effect is bad on Bluray conversion) and original Star Wars (supposedly
    > original are destroyed but I don't want the CGI-enhanced version from 1990)

    Some movies will be affected more than others when being shown in
    1080p. It's a case-by-case thing. Film grain has always been a part
    of filmmaking, some eras used it more than others. All that's
    happening is that you're being taken closer to the original film than
    DVD could take you.

    I'm sorry if there are films you want on BluRay that aren't released
    yet, but everyone is in the same boat there. Formats grow over time,
    you can't get every single movie released in the space of ~3 years.

    > So any reason to get Bluray player and a new TV or should I stick with my
    > old DVD player and send a letter to George Lucas why I'm not buying any
    > Buyray stuff yet.

    Seeing as Lucas doesn't have any major stake in BluRay technology, I
    don't see why he'd care. He'd be more than happy to release 7 or 8
    more DVD sets and keep the cash rolling in from those. Personally, I
    would strongly reccomend an HD set and BR player, but if you get warm-
    and-fuzzy feelings from SD-DVD, who am I to judge?

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    Aaron J. Bossig, Jun 22, 2009
  6. On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 15:20:57 -0500, Doug Jacobs <>
    wrote:

    >Well, as far as Star Wars goes, it's the enhanced versions or nothing.
    >The DVDs contain a remastered version from the enhanced versions, and a
    >direct copy from VHS. That mastered-from-VHS copy is about as close as
    >you're going to get, unfortunately.

    The Laser Disc releases. D'oh!

    They were original cut, pre-enhancement.

    Way batter than VHS.
    Archimedes' Lever, Jun 23, 2009
  7. SNOTTYS

    Richard C. Guest

    "Doug Jacobs" <> wrote in message
    :
    : Well, as far as Star Wars goes, it's the enhanced versions or nothing.
    : The DVDs contain a remastered version from the enhanced versions, and a
    : direct copy from VHS. That mastered-from-VHS copy is about as close as
    : you're going to get, unfortunately.
    :
    ====================
    Actually, I have the LD versions and they are fantastic.
    Richard C., Jun 23, 2009
  8. SNOTTYS

    lugnut Guest

    On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 12:35:36 -0500, Doug Jacobs <>
    wrote:

    >Richard C. <> wrote:
    >> "Doug Jacobs" <> wrote in message
    >> :
    >> : Well, as far as Star Wars goes, it's the enhanced versions or nothing.
    >> : The DVDs contain a remastered version from the enhanced versions, and a
    >> : direct copy from VHS. That mastered-from-VHS copy is about as close as
    >> : you're going to get, unfortunately.
    >> :
    >> ====================
    >> Actually, I have the LD versions and they are fantastic.

    >I meant on DVD, those "mastered-from-VHS" versions are as close to the
    >original version as you're going to get. They didn't use the LD versions.
    >
    >Furthermore, the blu-ray player can't handle a LD anyways :-(
    >
    >--
    >It's not broken. It's...advanced.

    As far as I understood it, the "bonus disc" DVDs of the "unmolested
    trilogy" *are* sourced from the transfer prepared for the laserdiscs.
    They're certainly not a straight VHS copy.

    -lugnut
    lugnut, Jun 24, 2009
  9. SNOTTYS

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, (lugnut) wrote:
    >On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 12:35:36 -0500, Doug Jacobs <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Richard C. <> wrote:
    >>> "Doug Jacobs" <> wrote in message
    >>> :
    >>> : Well, as far as Star Wars goes, it's the enhanced versions or nothing.
    >>> : The DVDs contain a remastered version from the enhanced versions, and a
    >>> : direct copy from VHS. That mastered-from-VHS copy is about as close as
    >>> : you're going to get, unfortunately.
    >>> :
    >>> ====================
    >>> Actually, I have the LD versions and they are fantastic.

    >>I meant on DVD, those "mastered-from-VHS" versions are as close to the
    >>original version as you're going to get. They didn't use the LD versions.
    >>
    >>Furthermore, the blu-ray player can't handle a LD anyways :-(
    >>
    >>--
    >>It's not broken. It's...advanced.

    >As far as I understood it, the "bonus disc" DVDs of the "unmolested
    >trilogy" *are* sourced from the transfer prepared for the laserdiscs.
    >They're certainly not a straight VHS copy.
    >
    >-lugnut

    But they are definately not Anamorphic!!!!! THAT is a big letdown.

    "Anamorphic, aka scope. As introduced to the general public by CinemaScope in
    September 1953, and utilized by systems such as Panavision and others,
    anamorphic format camera lenses compress the image horizontally so that it
    fits a standard frame, and anamorphic projection lenses restore the image and
    spread it over the wide screen. The picture quality is at maximum because this
    method both uses more of the negative frame than any other traditional 35 mm
    film process, optically compresses twice the image width, and does not require
    an intermediate conversion stage."

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anamorphic_widescreen
    GMAN, Jun 24, 2009