Any Picasa users here? 2006 Mermaid Parade pictures

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Al Dykes, Jun 27, 2006.

  1. Al Dykes

    Al Dykes Guest

    Are there any picasa users here? I've got questions about it's raw
    converter and I hate to get yet another user ID/password frow another
    web chat system.

    If you've not heard, Picasa is free software from Google that might be
    considered "irfanview+jalbum+some photo organizer product".
    http://picasa.google.com/

    last night I used it for the first time to organize the shots I took
    at this year's Mermaid Festival at Coney Island, Brooklyn.

    http://www.panix.com/~adykes/web/mermaid2006/

    I culled 194 shots of the nearly 500 and cropped and tweaked each one
    and made the web site in about 3 hours from installing the software.

    This is the first pass. I need to figure out how to caption and
    change the order, etc.

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Al Dykes, Jun 27, 2006

  2. Al Dykes

    Hebee Jeebes Guest

    Picasa supports some RAW formats, but not many. It is also not worth crap
    for processing those raw files. Picasa is not an image editor, it has basic
    and I mean basic editing features but nothing overly great. I mean you can
    even set the amount of sharpening you apply.

    The new 2.5 which is currently in beta and single Google never seems to take
    anything out of beta will be in beta for many years to come supports a few
    more RAW formats.

    You are better off with good RAW processing software instead of the lame
    features of Picasa. Picasa is fine for image management especially with
    iView MediaPro now being bought by Microsoft.

    Hebee Jeebes, Jun 28, 2006

  3. Al Dykes

    POHB Guest

    Re: Any Picasa users here? 2006 Mermaid Parade pictures

    Al Dykes wrote:
    > Are there any picasa users here? I've got questions about it's raw
    > converter

    What questions? It can read a bunch of raw formats and allows you to
    do basic manipulation with the files the same as it does for JPEGs.

    IME the raw converter doesn't produce such sharp images as RawShooter,
    and it certainly doesn't let you tweak the process very much, but it is
    very quick to use for selecting, sorting, cropping and uploading files
    to a print service. I use it as the first pass and then use other
    tools when I want to really edit pixels or tweak exposure.

    > This is the first pass. I need to figure out how to caption and
    > change the order, etc.

    You can reorder by just dragging the pics around on the screen

    POHB, Jun 28, 2006
  4. Al Dykes

    Roger Wright Guest

    http://picasa.google.com/support/

    Roger Wright, Jul 19, 2006
  5. Al Dykes

    salgud Guest

    Re: Any Picasa users here? 2006 Mermaid Parade pictures

    I just dumped Pic-assa, looking for something more reliable. I have
    been struggling with getting Pic-assa to do simple things for some
    time. I finally figured out how to save an edited photo without having
    to export it (something impossible to do, according to this group),
    then when I went back later to do the same thing with some other pix,
    it didn't appear to work! Couldn't find the edited photos. Weeks later,
    looking for something else entirely, I found the missing edited photos
    in a different Picasa folder. No idea why Pic-assa put them there. I've
    had similar problems with other features.

    I downloaded all my pix from my vacation in Costa Rica last Feb.
    Pic-assa seemed to work fine, and I deleted the images off my memory
    card. A few days later, went in to look at the pix, they were gone!
    Thank God for memory card recovery software.

    Earlier today, I needed to resize some images here at work, so I
    downloaded Pic-assa and tried to resize them. It did nothing to the pix
    at all. I downloaded and little single purpose piece of freeware called
    re-size and it worked great.

    Pic-assa is history for me!

    salgud, Jul 19, 2006