Any other Netflix customers here victim of "throttling?"

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by wunnuy@netzero.net, Aug 16, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I am asking for my own research. I personally have been with the
    service for 2 and a half years and up until 2 months ago I was pretty
    satsified with the service, but it has become amazingly horrible now. I
    thought maybe it was just a coicidence that I was lucky if I get two
    movies in a week now, but I did research and found out about this
    throttling policy, which Netflix DEFINITELY does. A couple weeks ago I
    turned in three movies the same day and they didn't show up for a week.
    When I complained, miraculously, they all showed up the same day. I
    have one movie I ordered two weeks ago (Point blank) which still hasn't
    showed up. I reported it missing and oddly, Netflix hasn't inquired
    about it or anything, as if they just accept it's "missing." Every week
    it's something new with this company. I actually got someone to finally
    email me back after I complained a couple times and they said "we'll
    give you a fourth rental one time to make up for this" which never
    happened. Surprise!

    Yeah, I know people complain about Netflix all the time in here. I just
    want to see how many others have been throttled by this company.
    Thanks. (I will be canceling netflix just before my billing cycle ends)
    , Aug 16, 2005

  2. JayCee Guest

    wrote:
    > I am asking for my own research. I personally have been with the
    > service for 2 and a half years and up until 2 months ago I was pretty
    > satsified with the service, but it has become amazingly horrible now. I
    > thought maybe it was just a coicidence that I was lucky if I get two
    > movies in a week now, but I did research and found out about this
    > throttling policy, which Netflix DEFINITELY does. A couple weeks ago I
    > turned in three movies the same day and they didn't show up for a week.
    > When I complained, miraculously, they all showed up the same day. I
    > have one movie I ordered two weeks ago (Point blank) which still hasn't
    > showed up. I reported it missing and oddly, Netflix hasn't inquired
    > about it or anything, as if they just accept it's "missing." Every week
    > it's something new with this company. I actually got someone to finally
    > email me back after I complained a couple times and they said "we'll
    > give you a fourth rental one time to make up for this" which never
    > happened. Surprise!
    >
    > Yeah, I know people complain about Netflix all the time in here. I just
    > want to see how many others have been throttled by this company.
    > Thanks. (I will be canceling netflix just before my billing cycle ends)

    Yes, I've noticed it too, although in my case things started slowing
    down after the first month. I'm also noticing that more and more of the
    movies in my queue are on "wait" status, which is something that never
    happened with Netflix before.
    JayCee, Aug 16, 2005

  3. kaydigi Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I am asking for my own research. I personally have been with the
    > service for 2 and a half years and up until 2 months ago I was pretty
    > satsified with the service, but it has become amazingly horrible now. I
    > thought maybe it was just a coicidence that I was lucky if I get two
    > movies in a week now, but I did research and found out about this
    > throttling policy, which Netflix DEFINITELY does. A couple weeks ago I
    > turned in three movies the same day and they didn't show up for a week.
    > When I complained, miraculously, they all showed up the same day. I
    > have one movie I ordered two weeks ago (Point blank) which still hasn't
    > showed up. I reported it missing and oddly, Netflix hasn't inquired
    > about it or anything, as if they just accept it's "missing." Every week
    > it's something new with this company. I actually got someone to finally
    > email me back after I complained a couple times and they said "we'll
    > give you a fourth rental one time to make up for this" which never
    > happened. Surprise!
    >
    > Yeah, I know people complain about Netflix all the time in here. I just
    > want to see how many others have been throttled by this company.
    > Thanks. (I will be canceling netflix just before my billing cycle ends)

    The newest thing I've seen is when they receive movies on Monday, they don't
    ship the next batch out until Tuesday. Usually my local shipping center
    (Richmond VA) on any other day of the week ships the new movies the same day
    as received.

    Once I'm done with Angel Season, and Dead Zone Season 1 I'll finally be done
    with Netflix after a 6 year affair.
    kaydigi, Aug 16, 2005
  4. Guest

    kaydigi wrote:

    > Once I'm done with Angel Season, and Dead Zone Season 1 I'll finally be done
    > with Netflix after a 6 year affair.

    Me too. 2 1/2 years for me. I have brought them at least ten customers
    over the years too. But the last two months service has been as bad as
    you can get. I just cleared out my queue so there's just enough for the
    next couple weeks (my billing cycle just started) and then I'm done
    with them. I have no doubt they've lost thousands of customers over the
    last few months because of their absolutely sleezy practices. It amazes
    me with all the competition popping up you'd think they'd want to
    really step it up a notch, instead of trying to rip people off.

    So far in the last month, I've turned off two people from joining them
    (so you could say I've already brought Blockbuster two new customers
    and I haven't even joined yet).
    , Aug 17, 2005
  5. Nonymous Guest

    "JayCee" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    > Yes, I've noticed it too, although in my case things started slowing down
    > after the first month. I'm also noticing that more and more of the movies
    > in my queue are on "wait" status, which is something that never happened
    > with Netflix before.

    Ya should been a member back in, oh, 1998 or 1999. Now *those* were some
    wait times.
    Nonymous, Aug 17, 2005
  6. Guest

    I just cancelled for other reasons, but I have noticed a few things
    that if intentional, are pretty crafty on the part of Netflix. I
    notice a lot of times I'll send 2 discs back at the same time, and
    they'll get checked in together, but only one new one will get sent out
    that day. I watch mostly TV shows, and often it's the 2nd disc that
    gets sent first, so I have to wait 'til they both get to me to watch
    them. (Pretty subtle, huh?). Everytime I've had one go missing enroute
    to me, the first one and the replacement always get to me on the same
    day. Funny. Also, if one goes missing on the return trip, it always
    miraculously appears the day after I report it missing.

    That being said, I've had a pretty good summer with Netflix, getting
    between 12-14 discs a month, which is about the fastest I can watch
    them anyway. I'll join up again, but not until March of '06. I don't
    find any point in being a Netflix member in Nov, Dec, and Jan, because
    the mail system is so screwed up because of the holidays and weather.
    Ideally, one would join in Feb or March, and quit each Sept or Oct.
    That's how I do it.

    -beaumon
    , Aug 17, 2005
  7. Bill Turner Guest

    wrote:

    > notice a lot of times I'll send 2 discs back at the same time, and
    > they'll get checked in together, but only one new one will get sent
    > out that day.

    When you mail them in they all go to the same address, but when they
    are mailed to you, they may come from different distribution centers.

    Bill T.
    Bill Turner, Aug 17, 2005
  8. Guest

    wrote:

    > Ideally, one would join in Feb or March, and quit each Sept or Oct.
    > That's how I do it.
    >
    > -beaumon

    Just be sure to make a copy of your queue, if there's anything left in
    it. They offer no legitimate "suspend" option; they only suggest
    cancelling and rejoining later. What they don't tell you is that,
    while they keep all your reviews, votes, and personal info, they delete
    your queue after 2-3 months! I was really disgusted when they did that
    to me. If they're going to hang onto all that other stuff, what's the
    problem with keeping the remaining queue on record?
    , Aug 17, 2005
  9. Frohike Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I am asking for my own research. I personally have been with the
    > service for 2 and a half years and up until 2 months ago I was pretty
    > satsified with the service, but it has become amazingly horrible now. I
    > thought maybe it was just a coicidence that I was lucky if I get two
    > movies in a week now, but I did research and found out about this
    > throttling policy, which Netflix DEFINITELY does. A couple weeks ago I
    > turned in three movies the same day and they didn't show up for a week.
    > When I complained, miraculously, they all showed up the same day. I
    > have one movie I ordered two weeks ago (Point blank) which still hasn't
    > showed up. I reported it missing and oddly, Netflix hasn't inquired
    > about it or anything, as if they just accept it's "missing." Every week
    > it's something new with this company. I actually got someone to finally
    > email me back after I complained a couple times and they said "we'll
    > give you a fourth rental one time to make up for this" which never
    > happened. Surprise!
    >
    > Yeah, I know people complain about Netflix all the time in here. I just
    > want to see how many others have been throttled by this company.
    > Thanks. (I will be canceling netflix just before my billing cycle ends)

    I think they put you on a shit list when you "lose" a movie. Like what
    happened to me. They didn't receive one of the 3 movies I mailed (Ju-On was
    the movie, I think) and after that, the top of my queue which comprises
    mainly of new releases, got all "Very Long Wait". I think it was 2 months
    before I got freaking Aviator and Troy. Right now I'm lucky to get Kung Fu
    Hustle and The Pacifier in the immediate future.
    Frohike, Aug 17, 2005
  10. Alpha Guest

    I find all of this amazing. I have been with them for five years. My turn
    around is always, and I mean always, 48 hours (1 day return, next disc in
    my box the next day).

    Alpha, Aug 17, 2005
  11. Guest

    I have to presume that if the return address is Kansas City, it came
    from there, and that's the nearest center to me. I've had a couple of
    discs come from Santa Ana, CA. Can anyone confirm that they will send
    a disc from one distribution center, but have it go back to the one
    that your account normally draws from? I've presumed that they always
    come from the center that the return address is too.

    -beaumon
    , Aug 17, 2005
  12. Guest

    Good to know. The last time I quit it was for 3 months, and they still
    had my queue, such as it was. Doesn't really matter though. I'm
    mostly a TV watcher, so the 100 or so discs that were in my queue when
    I quit comprised 3-4 TV shows and a handful of movies. I'll remember
    them, but I confess I thought they'd keep my queue until March.
    Thanks.

    -beaumon
    , Aug 17, 2005
  13. wrote:

    ....No, but post this question one more time, and we'll be happy to
    demonstrate the PROPER definition of "throttling". :)

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Aug 18, 2005
  14. TokaMundo Guest

    On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 17:19:56 -0700, Derek Janssen
    <> Gave us:

    > wrote:
    >

    >...No, but post this question one more time, and we'll be happy to
    >demonstrate the PROPER definition of "throttling". :)

    I used to be a big fan of Dennis Miller, but NetZero has to be the
    biggest rip off going. They insure that the ONLY spam you'll get is
    that which they want you to have, and they have no method to cancel
    the account, unless you call a 4.95 per minute number and submit a
    credit card so they can charge you to kill your account. That has to
    be the most lame operation I have EVER encountered.

    Dennis Miller, were he aware of their practices would drop them like
    an accidently picked up wet turd if he knew... one would hope.

    Unless he actually thinks such practices are OK.

    They are also now claiming even faster speeds, which means that even
    more stupid customers will get fooled by their bullshit. The
    connection speed doesn't change. Their manipulation of the sites you
    hit, and how much of it gets stored on your local machine does.
    This means that if a site has a jpeg image you want to get, it will be
    some lame lower resolution crap they pump over to you. Lame... very
    lame. Lame indeed.

    If this idiot continually starts threads about Netflix, it only
    further proves how utterly stupid their customers must really be.

    Millions of subscribers indeed... yet another bullshit crock!

    Wake up, Dennis!
    TokaMundo, Aug 18, 2005
  15. Guest

    Derek Janssen wrote:
    > wrote:
    >

    > ...No, but post this question one more time, and we'll be happy to
    > demonstrate the PROPER definition of "throttling". :)
    >
    > Derek Janssen

    I'm not following. Was that a joke? Since I've posed the question a
    whole total of one times, why would you assume there is a pattern or
    suggest it? Or were you just being a jerk?
    , Aug 18, 2005
  16. wrote:

    >>...No, but post this question one more time, and we'll be happy to
    >>demonstrate the PROPER definition of "throttling". :)

    > I'm not following. Was that a joke? Since I've posed the question a
    > whole total of one times, why would you assume there is a pattern or
    > suggest it? Or were you just being a jerk?

    (Sorry, some of us just lose track of WHO keeps posting it once a month
    by the clock...)

    Derek Janssen (it's just all one big blur)
    Derek Janssen, Aug 18, 2005
  17. TokaMundo Guest

    On 17 Aug 2005 18:51:35 -0700, Gave us:

    >Derek Janssen wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> ...No, but post this question one more time, and we'll be happy to
    >> demonstrate the PROPER definition of "throttling". :)
    >>
    >> Derek Janssen
    >>

    >I'm not following. Was that a joke? Since I've posed the question a
    >whole total of one times, why would you assume there is a pattern or
    >suggest it? Or were you just being a jerk?

    Maybe it's just his flakey side poking through...
    TokaMundo, Aug 18, 2005
  18. TokaMundo Guest

    On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 22:05:34 -0700, Derek Janssen
    <> Gave us:

    >Derek Janssen (it's just all one big blur)

    Musta been those drug years...

    Or perhaps the lack of them. :-]
    TokaMundo, Aug 18, 2005
  19. Karl S Guest

    On 17 Aug 2005 13:31:35 -0700, wrote:

    > I have to presume that if the return address is Kansas City, it came
    > from there,

    Faulty presumption.
    Karl S, Aug 18, 2005
  20. I've seen this question posted several times now.

    Atfay Ellybay the Bloated Terrorist, Aug 19, 2005