Any other company than Sipgate that allocates local UK numbers

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Unknown Artist, Jan 8, 2006.

  1. Some time ago I set up a local number with Sipgate but something
    seemed to go wrong with the setup at their end. There did seem to be a
    glitch with their web page when I initially signed up. I installed
    their X-Lite software phone but whenever the number is called it
    simply gives an engaged tone. My account is fully registered and I can
    log in and confirm the number is mine.

    I know it is not my ADSL/Firewall because my son also signed up and
    when we run his X-Lite software phone program on my computer it works
    perfectly. It all points to a configuration problem at Sipgates end. I
    have tried emailing their tech support but all I am getting back are
    generic messages telling me to check things that I know are not wrong.
    I have just about given up with them now.

    Is there another company that allocates UK local numbers with their
    accounts that I can subscribe to. Any help welcome.

    Thanks.

    Bert.

    Unknown Artist, Jan 8, 2006

  2. Unknown Artist

    Jono Guest

    "Unknown Artist" <> wrote in message
    > Some time ago I set up a local number with Sipgate but something
    > seemed to go wrong with the setup at their end. There did seem to be a
    > glitch with their web page when I initially signed up. I installed
    > their X-Lite software phone but whenever the number is called it
    > simply gives an engaged tone. My account is fully registered and I can
    > log in and confirm the number is mine.
    >
    > I know it is not my ADSL/Firewall because my son also signed up and
    > when we run his X-Lite software phone program on my computer it works
    > perfectly. It all points to a configuration problem at Sipgates end. I
    > have tried emailing their tech support but all I am getting back are
    > generic messages telling me to check things that I know are not wrong.
    > I have just about given up with them now.
    >
    > Is there another company that allocates UK local numbers with their
    > accounts that I can subscribe to. Any help welcome.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > Bert.

    Are you saying that your son's credentials work on your PC - the only two
    items you change in X-lite are the username and password?

    If that's the case, then it does point to being a problem at Sipgate's end -
    I am surprised they've not fixed it, though, if you've let them know.

    Can your son call you using your Sipgate 7 digit ID number, from his PC? Are
    you having problems from the PSTN=>Sipgate, Sipgate=>Sipgate or both?

    Why not just sign up for another Sipgate number & see if that works?

    Another company that offers free PSTN numbers is voip.co.uk - you do have to
    credit the account with a minimum of £10 AFAIR.

    Sipdiscount, Voipbuster and others are also offering numbers, although from
    a seemingly much smaller pool of numbers. (If you don't live in Birmingham,
    you get an 056 number)

    Jono, Jan 8, 2006

  3. Unknown Artist

    GwG Guest

    > Some time ago I set up a local number with Sipgate but something
    > seemed to go wrong with the setup at their end. There did seem to be a
    > glitch with their web page when I initially signed up. I installed
    > their X-Lite software phone but whenever the number is called it
    > simply gives an engaged tone. My account is fully registered and I can
    > log in and confirm the number is mine.
    >
    > I know it is not my ADSL/Firewall because my son also signed up and
    > when we run his X-Lite software phone program on my computer it works
    > perfectly. It all points to a configuration problem at Sipgates end. I
    > have tried emailing their tech support but all I am getting back are
    > generic messages telling me to check things that I know are not wrong.
    > I have just about given up with them now.
    >
    > Is there another company that allocates UK local numbers with their
    > accounts that I can subscribe to. Any help welcome.

    I have had very good responses from Sipgate, and problems sorted out,
    have you tried filling in the technical support form on the following
    link:-
    http://www.sipgate.co.uk/faq/index....g=&PHPSESSID=e627c203f4c50beb0ef3f43a0cd2720b

    GwG, Jan 8, 2006
  4. On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 14:12:09 GMT, "Jono" <> wrote:

    >Are you saying that your son's credentials work on your PC - the only two
    >items you change in X-lite are the username and password?

    Yes, that is correct.

    >If that's the case, then it does point to being a problem at Sipgate's end -
    >I am surprised they've not fixed it, though, if you've let them know.

    I have tried again and am awaiting a response. To be honest the last
    response I got from them led me to loose interest for a while.

    >Why not just sign up for another Sipgate number & see if that works?

    I have done and it works fine. I really would like to original number
    though because I was the first person on my exchange to apply for one
    several months ago and it is xxxxx 828000

    >Another company that offers free PSTN numbers is voip.co.uk - you do have to
    >credit the account with a minimum of £10 AFAIR.

    Thanks for all the help. I'll persevere with Sipgate support. Maybe
    the last person who responded to me was having a bad day.

    Bert.

    Unknown Artist, Jan 8, 2006
  5. On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 15:08:50 GMT, "GwG"
    <> wrote:

    >I have had very good responses from Sipgate, and problems sorted out,
    >have you tried filling in the technical support form on the following
    >link:-
    >http://www.sipgate.co.uk/faq/index....g=&PHPSESSID=e627c203f4c50beb0ef3f43a0cd2720b

    Thanks for the info. See my reply to Jono just above.

    I have used the link before and have tried again earlier today.
    Fingers crossed, as the problem does seem to be at their end.

    Bert.

    Unknown Artist, Jan 8, 2006
  6. Unknown Artist

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Unknown Artist" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > Thanks for all the help. I'll persevere with Sipgate
    > support. Maybe the last person who responded to me was
    > having a bad day.

    Contact me off group.

    Ivor
    ivor at g6urp dot co dot uk