  1. IS Smtp working for you or have I got the problem. I cannot get a connection to
    smtp.orcon.net.nz but it still pings

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

    Collector»NZ, Sep 2, 2006

  2. Collector»NZ

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > IS Smtp working for you or have I got the problem. I cannot get a
    > connection to smtp.orcon.net.nz but it still pings

    smtp2 is fine.

    -=rjh=-, Sep 2, 2006

  3. Collector»NZ

    Philip Roy Guest

    In article <44fa016b$>, -=rjh=- <>
    wrote:

    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    > > IS Smtp working for you or have I got the problem. I cannot get a
    > > connection to smtp.orcon.net.nz but it still pings

    > smtp2 is fine.

    I had problems earlier today but they are resolved now it seems.

    Phil
    --
    NZMac.com - Supporting the New Zealand Mac Community
    http://www.nzmac.com

    Philip Roy, Sep 3, 2006
  4. Philip Roy wrote:
    > In article <44fa016b$>, -=rjh=- <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>> IS Smtp working for you or have I got the problem. I cannot get a
    >>> connection to smtp.orcon.net.nz but it still pings

    >> smtp2 is fine.

    > I had problems earlier today but they are resolved now it seems.
    >
    > Phil

    Yep, got the run around when I rang, but once I pointed out what I did for a
    job, the response got better.
    There mail servers are starting to Pee me off, not delivering smtp in order and
    now it black holes anything I send to my myself at my domain address. I have a
    wildcard pop box for the domain and since this morning it just black holes
    messages sent from the domain to the domain.

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

    Collector»NZ, Sep 3, 2006
  5. Collector»NZ

    EMB Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Philip Roy wrote:
    >> In article <44fa016b$>, -=rjh=- <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> smtp2 is fine.

    >> I had problems earlier today but they are resolved now it seems.
    >>
    >> Phil

    > Yep, got the run around when I rang, but once I pointed out what I did
    > for a job, the response got better.
    > There mail servers are starting to Pee me off, not delivering smtp in
    > order and now it black holes anything I send to my myself at my domain
    > address. I have a wildcard pop box for the domain and since this morning
    > it just black holes messages sent from the domain to the domain.

    Use smtp auth

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Sep 3, 2006
  6. Collector»NZ

    Enkidu Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Philip Roy wrote:
    >> In article <44fa016b$>, -=rjh=- <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> smtp2 is fine.

    >> I had problems earlier today but they are resolved now it seems.
    >>
    >> Phil

    > Yep, got the run around when I rang, but once I pointed out what I did
    > for a job, the response got better.
    > There mail servers are starting to Pee me off, not delivering smtp in
    > order and now it black holes anything I send to my myself at my domain
    > address. I have a wildcard pop box for the domain and since this morning
    > it just black holes messages sent from the domain to the domain.

    That's an anti-SPAM measure and it is good. When I was a mail admin
    anything up to 10 - 15 % of SPAM mail hitting the front door was,
    apparently, from email addresses within the local domains.

    If you want to get around this, try setting the sender email address to
    some valid email address other than the recipients.

    But local mail should not leave the local domain anyway, so why are you
    sending it to the Internet facing side of the mail server anyway?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Sep 3, 2006
  7. EMB wrote:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >> Philip Roy wrote:

    >>> I had problems earlier today but they are resolved now it seems.
    >>>
    >>> Phil

    >> Yep, got the run around when I rang, but once I pointed out what I did
    >> for a job, the response got better.
    >> There mail servers are starting to Pee me off, not delivering smtp in
    >> order and now it black holes anything I send to my myself at my domain
    >> address. I have a wildcard pop box for the domain and since this
    >> morning it just black holes messages sent from the domain to the domain.
    >>

    > Use smtp auth

    Doing so already

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

    Collector»NZ, Sep 3, 2006
  8. Enkidu wrote:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >> Philip Roy wrote:

    >>> I had problems earlier today but they are resolved now it seems.
    >>>
    >>> Phil

    >> Yep, got the run around when I rang, but once I pointed out what I did
    >> for a job, the response got better.
    >> There mail servers are starting to Pee me off, not delivering smtp in
    >> order and now it black holes anything I send to my myself at my domain
    >> address. I have a wildcard pop box for the domain and since this
    >> morning it just black holes messages sent from the domain to the domain.
    >>

    > That's an anti-SPAM measure and it is good. When I was a mail admin
    > anything up to 10 - 15 % of SPAM mail hitting the front door was,
    > apparently, from email addresses within the local domains.
    >
    > If you want to get around this, try setting the sender email address to
    > some valid email address other than the recipients.
    >
    > But local mail should not leave the local domain anyway, so why are you
    > sending it to the Internet facing side of the mail server anyway?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Because I am on the internet side of the servers. I use Orcons servers for all
    my mail. Mail sent from my main computer to from a sender
    of always used to work, now it black holes

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

    Collector»NZ, Sep 3, 2006
  9. Collector»NZ

    Enkidu Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >> Collector»NZ wrote:

    >>> Yep, got the run around when I rang, but once I pointed out what I
    >>> did for a job, the response got better.
    >>> There mail servers are starting to Pee me off, not delivering smtp in
    >>> order and now it black holes anything I send to my myself at my
    >>> domain address. I have a wildcard pop box for the domain and since
    >>> this morning it just black holes messages sent from the domain to the
    >>> domain.
    >>>

    >> That's an anti-SPAM measure and it is good. When I was a mail admin
    >> anything up to 10 - 15 % of SPAM mail hitting the front door was,
    >> apparently, from email addresses within the local domains.
    >>
    >> If you want to get around this, try setting the sender email address
    >> to some valid email address other than the recipients.
    >>
    >> But local mail should not leave the local domain anyway, so why are
    >> you sending it to the Internet facing side of the mail server anyway?
    >>

    > Because I am on the internet side of the servers. I use Orcons servers
    > for all my mail. Mail sent from my main computer to
    > from a sender of always used to work, now it black
    > holes

    Like I said, change the sender to something else. You can leave the
    Reply to: as your original Domain address.

    What do you mean, you are on the Internet side of the servers? Do you
    connect via some other ISP?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Sep 3, 2006
  10. Collector»NZ

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Philip Roy wrote:
    >> In article <44fa016b$>, -=rjh=- <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> smtp2 is fine.

    >> I had problems earlier today but they are resolved now it seems.
    >>
    >> Phil

    > Yep, got the run around when I rang, but once I pointed out what I did
    > for a job, the response got better.

    I've never had a satisfactory reply from Orcon about continual,
    intermittent problems with smtp.orcon.net.nz, but somebody else had been
    told to try smtp2.orcon.net.nz so I tried it as well.

    Using that, I've never had a problem.

    > There mail servers are starting to Pee me off, not delivering smtp in
    > order and now it black holes anything I send to my myself at my domain
    > address. I have a wildcard pop box for the domain and since this morning
    > it just black holes messages sent from the domain to the domain.

    This is really starting to piss me off, too - it seems random, and
    sometimes people are kind enough to forward the error message (if they
    get one). I forward mail from my own domain (kiwiwebhost/iserve) to my
    account at Orcon, if the message fails, the error message sent back to
    the sender reveals my true identity at Orcon, (is there anyway to avoid
    this?)

    The errors that I've received all indicate that the problem is
    blacklisted servers, I've seen messages indicating spamhaus and other
    lists. All seem to be temporary and random - maybe dependent on which
    specific server is used at the time?

    And for god's sake, how many lists does a company need to use! The more
    they use the more likely there is to be a problem.

    -=rjh=-, Sep 3, 2006
  11. Collector»NZ

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-09-03, -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    > I forward mail from my own domain (kiwiwebhost/iserve) to my
    > account at Orcon, if the message fails, the error message sent back to
    > the sender reveals my true identity at Orcon, (is there anyway to avoid
    > this?)

    forward it as an attachment from you, that way it'll bounce back to you.

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Sep 4, 2006