    Tell me this isn't it? I know there's no such thing as good customer
    service anymore but you'd think there would be one company that would
    actually want business.

    TH, Sep 6, 2007

  2. In article <>,
    TH <> wrote:

    > I quit Netflix because of their ridiculous throttling practice, so I'm
    > trying Blockbuster. I have 20 movies in my queue, 95% of which are
    > "available now." It's been about 36 hours since I joined and nary a
    > movie has been sent. I finally got a response from BB that I have to
    > have 30 movies in my queue. Since almost all of these are "available
    > now," it should matter one bit if I have 3 or 500, if they're
    > "available now" then they should be sent now. I told them if I do not
    > have movies sent out by the end of the day, they can canel my
    > subscription. I'd rather be without a video service than deal with
    > terrible customer service like netflix and BB provide.
    >
    > Are there any other online DVD distribution companies or is this it?
    > Tell me this isn't it? I know there's no such thing as good customer
    > service anymore but you'd think there would be one company that would
    > actually want business.

    'available now' in BB parlance just means it is available somewhere in
    their system, but not in your shipping point.

    I had over 60 movies (HDDVD & BluRay) in my queue at one time, never
    more than a 1/3 listed as available, and still had the problem you are
    seeing.

    So when they jacked up the price and reduced the service, I took that as
    the ideal time to let them stew in their own juices and cancelled the
    service.

    Lloyd Parsons, Sep 6, 2007

  3. TH

    TH Guest

    On Sep 6, 1:12 pm, Lloyd Parsons <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >

    > TH <> wrote:
    > > I quit Netflix because of their ridiculous throttling practice, so I'm
    > > trying Blockbuster. I have 20 movies in my queue, 95% of which are
    > > "available now." It's been about 36 hours since I joined and nary a
    > > movie has been sent. I finally got a response from BB that I have to
    > > have 30 movies in my queue. Since almost all of these are "available
    > > now," it should matter one bit if I have 3 or 500, if they're
    > > "available now" then they should be sent now. I told them if I do not
    > > have movies sent out by the end of the day, they can canel my
    > > subscription. I'd rather be without a video service than deal with
    > > terrible customer service like netflix and BB provide.

    > > Are there any other online DVD distribution companies or is this it?
    > > Tell me this isn't it? I know there's no such thing as good customer
    > > service anymore but you'd think there would be one company that would
    > > actually want business.

    > 'available now' in BB parlance just means it is available somewhere in
    > their system, but not in your shipping point.

    It's absolutley ridiculous. They need to then make it "not available"
    if the disk is actually not available. i've never seen anything so
    amazingly stupid and misleading. And I thought Netflix was bad.

    TH, Sep 6, 2007
  4. In article <>,
    TH <> wrote:

    > On Sep 6, 1:12 pm, Lloyd Parsons <> wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > >

    > > TH <> wrote:
    > > > I quit Netflix because of their ridiculous throttling practice, so I'm
    > > > trying Blockbuster. I have 20 movies in my queue, 95% of which are
    > > > "available now." It's been about 36 hours since I joined and nary a
    > > > movie has been sent. I finally got a response from BB that I have to
    > > > have 30 movies in my queue. Since almost all of these are "available
    > > > now," it should matter one bit if I have 3 or 500, if they're
    > > > "available now" then they should be sent now. I told them if I do not
    > > > have movies sent out by the end of the day, they can canel my
    > > > subscription. I'd rather be without a video service than deal with
    > > > terrible customer service like netflix and BB provide.

    > > > Are there any other online DVD distribution companies or is this it?
    > > > Tell me this isn't it? I know there's no such thing as good customer
    > > > service anymore but you'd think there would be one company that would
    > > > actually want business.

    > > 'available now' in BB parlance just means it is available somewhere in
    > > their system, but not in your shipping point.
    > >

    > It's absolutley ridiculous. They need to then make it "not available"
    > if the disk is actually not available. i've never seen anything so
    > amazingly stupid and misleading. And I thought Netflix was bad.

    Yep, screwy isn't it?

    I'm with Netflix now as they have been reported to be more consistently
    good with HDDVD and BluRay disks. So far, it has been good. I get 3
    movies a week generally, maybe that is low enough they won't throttle me.

    Lloyd Parsons, Sep 6, 2007
  5. TH

    Phisherman Guest

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 12:07:14 -0700, TH <>
    wrote:

    >I quit Netflix because of their ridiculous throttling practice, so I'm
    >trying Blockbuster. I have 20 movies in my queue, 95% of which are
    >"available now." It's been about 36 hours since I joined and nary a
    >movie has been sent. I finally got a response from BB that I have to
    >have 30 movies in my queue. Since almost all of these are "available
    >now," it should matter one bit if I have 3 or 500, if they're
    >"available now" then they should be sent now. I told them if I do not
    >have movies sent out by the end of the day, they can canel my
    >subscription. I'd rather be without a video service than deal with
    >terrible customer service like netflix and BB provide.
    >
    >Are there any other online DVD distribution companies or is this it?
    >Tell me this isn't it? I know there's no such thing as good customer
    >service anymore but you'd think there would be one company that would
    >actually want business.

    Netflix is a little better than BB, plus Netflix has a larger database
    of DVDs. There are other DVD companies, but the top two are Netflix
    and BB. The requirement to have 30 movies in the queue is ridiculous.
    BB throttles too.

    Phisherman, Sep 7, 2007
  6. TH

    def456 Guest

    "TH" <> wrote in message
    >I quit Netflix because of their ridiculous throttling practice, so I'm
    > trying Blockbuster. I have 20 movies in my queue, 95% of which are
    > "available now." It's been about 36 hours since I joined and nary a
    > movie has been sent. I finally got a response from BB that I have to
    > have 30 movies in my queue. Since almost all of these are "available
    > now," it should matter one bit if I have 3 or 500, if they're
    > "available now" then they should be sent now. I told them if I do not
    > have movies sent out by the end of the day, they can canel my
    > subscription. I'd rather be without a video service than deal with
    > terrible customer service like netflix and BB provide.
    >
    > Are there any other online DVD distribution companies or is this it?
    > Tell me this isn't it? I know there's no such thing as good customer
    > service anymore but you'd think there would be one company that would
    > actually want business.

    I don't think there's any other good alternatives. I subscribe to 3 out a
    time from both Netflix and Blockbuster. Both work OK for me. Neither
    throttle me significantly. Occasionally something is shipped from a distant
    source but not very often. Blockbuster sends me more movies than Netflix,
    but both are acceptable - giving a resulting cost somewhere in the
    $0.75-$1.25/movie range. If you're having serious problems, close your
    account and open a new one with a different email address etc. Then...never
    complain! Send them compliments, only, if you must send them anything.
    Better yet, simply ignore them and don't communicate about anything, don't
    rate movies, don't respond to their emails, etc. Be a total unknown to them.
    Just rent movies and keep your mouth shut. :) Keep 30+ movies in your queue
    as they suggest. They rarely ship from near the bottom of the queue, in my
    experience, so that's just a technicality.

    def456, Sep 7, 2007
  7. TH

    TH Guest

    On Sep 6, 7:40 pm, "def456" <> wrote:

    > account and open a new one with a different email address etc. Then...never
    > complain! Send them compliments, only, if you must send them anything.
    > Better yet, simply ignore them and don't communicate about anything, don't
    > rate movies, don't respond to their emails, etc. Be a total unknown to them.
    > Just rent movies and keep your mouth shut. :) Keep 30+ movies in your queue
    > as they suggest. They rarely ship from near the bottom of the queue, in my
    > experience, so that's just a technicality.

    I don't really understand what communicating with them has to do with
    anything. I didn't say a word for the first few months of the
    throttling but finally I had to complain because it was getting out of
    hand. I don't care what their policy is, if they say "unlimited
    rentals" than I should get unlimited rentals, not an amount they deem
    is fair to them.

    If anyone here wasn't sure they were not throttling, I did have one
    disk out supposedly sent when I quit, so I was waiting for it to come
    so I could send it back. After a couple days it never came. I looked
    on my account and miraculously, it was "returned" the day after it was
    "sent" which was the day I canceled, clear proof they hold disks (then
    when i quit they realized, "why hold it, just log it as returned").
    Netflix is scum.

    TH, Sep 7, 2007
  8. TH

    Karen Guest

    On Sep 6, 3:07 pm, TH <> wrote:
    > I quit Netflix because of their ridiculous throttling practice, so I'm
    > trying Blockbuster. I have 20 movies in my queue, 95% of which are
    > "available now." It's been about 36 hours since I joined and nary a
    > movie has been sent. I finally got a response from BB that I have to
    > have 30 movies in my queue. Since almost all of these are "available
    > now," it should matter one bit if I have 3 or 500, if they're
    > "available now" then they should be sent now. I told them if I do not
    > have movies sent out by the end of the day, they can canel my
    > subscription. I'd rather be without a video service than deal with
    > terrible customer service like netflix and BB provide.
    >
    > Are there any other online DVD distribution companies or is this it?
    > Tell me this isn't it? I know there's no such thing as good customer
    > service anymore but you'd think there would be one company that would
    > actually want business.

    I've never had a problem with Netflix. I love it. I get the movies
    within 2-3 business days. I have the 3 out at a time plan and always
    have something good to watch. I opted not to go with BB because their
    sales point was that you could exchange movies at the store but all
    the stores are closed! I don't know what you mean by throttled. Maybe
    I'm being throttled and don't care!

    Karen, Sep 8, 2007
  9. TH

    def456 Guest

    "TH" <> wrote in message
    > On Sep 6, 7:40 pm, "def456" <> wrote:
    >
    >> account and open a new one with a different email address etc.
    >> Then...never
    >> complain! Send them compliments, only, if you must send them anything.
    >> Better yet, simply ignore them and don't communicate about anything,
    >> don't
    >> rate movies, don't respond to their emails, etc. Be a total unknown to
    >> them.
    >> Just rent movies and keep your mouth shut. :) Keep 30+ movies in your
    >> queue
    >> as they suggest. They rarely ship from near the bottom of the queue, in
    >> my
    >> experience, so that's just a technicality.

    > I don't really understand what communicating with them has to do with
    > anything. I didn't say a word for the first few months of the
    > throttling but finally I had to complain because it was getting out of
    > hand. I don't care what their policy is, if they say "unlimited
    > rentals" than I should get unlimited rentals, not an amount they deem
    > is fair to them.
    >
    > If anyone here wasn't sure they were not throttling, I did have one
    > disk out supposedly sent when I quit, so I was waiting for it to come
    > so I could send it back. After a couple days it never came. I looked
    > on my account and miraculously, it was "returned" the day after it was
    > "sent" which was the day I canceled, clear proof they hold disks (then
    > when i quit they realized, "why hold it, just log it as returned").
    > Netflix is scum.

    OK, but they only do it to you. They don't do it to me. Why?
    Think about it... :)

    def456, Sep 8, 2007
  10. TH

    Phisherman Guest

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 18:51:51 -0700, Karen <>
    wrote:

    >On Sep 6, 3:07 pm, TH <> wrote:
    >> I quit Netflix because of their ridiculous throttling practice, so I'm
    >> trying Blockbuster. I have 20 movies in my queue, 95% of which are
    >> "available now." It's been about 36 hours since I joined and nary a
    >> movie has been sent. I finally got a response from BB that I have to
    >> have 30 movies in my queue. Since almost all of these are "available
    >> now," it should matter one bit if I have 3 or 500, if they're
    >> "available now" then they should be sent now. I told them if I do not
    >> have movies sent out by the end of the day, they can canel my
    >> subscription. I'd rather be without a video service than deal with
    >> terrible customer service like netflix and BB provide.
    >>
    >> Are there any other online DVD distribution companies or is this it?
    >> Tell me this isn't it? I know there's no such thing as good customer
    >> service anymore but you'd think there would be one company that would
    >> actually want business.

    >I've never had a problem with Netflix. I love it. I get the movies
    >within 2-3 business days. I have the 3 out at a time plan and always
    >have something good to watch. I opted not to go with BB because their
    >sales point was that you could exchange movies at the store but all
    >the stores are closed! I don't know what you mean by throttled. Maybe
    >I'm being throttled and don't care!

    When it took 2 weeks to get a moved tagged as "sent" I knew something
    was going on, and suspected it was NOT the post office. Another time
    I got a damaged DVD and when I reported it as "damaged" they waited
    until the DVD came back to them then shipped out another copy which I
    got 18 days later. They should have sent out another DVD at the time
    I reported the damaged DVD. I didn't complain--I cancelled.

    Phisherman, Sep 8, 2007
  11. If you're ordering enough dvds that netflix is throttling you and
    you've cancelled neflix because of throttling, then where do you get
    your movies now?

    People could just copy the dvds from netflix and send them back
    immediately. Burn through a few hundred dvds and then cancel netflix
    and watch the copies at your leisure.

    Netflix has to throttle to limit mass copying.

    shower_urinator, Sep 10, 2007
  12. TH

    Phisherman Guest

    On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 21:06:46 -0700, shower_urinator
    <> wrote:

    >Netflix has to throttle to limit mass copying.

    Netflix throttles to increase profits. My local video store does not
    throttle (with a membership) and does not pay huge postage fees.

    Phisherman, Sep 10, 2007
  13. TH

    TH Guest

    On Sep 9, 9:06 pm, shower_urinator <> wrote:

    > Netflix has to throttle to limit mass copying.

    Fine. I have no problem with that as long as they stop making the
    claim "as many movies as you want." If they change their advertising
    to "unlimited movies unless we deem it to be too many, then we'll hold
    back some" they'd never get another complaint. Ever.

    But when i see people sticking up for their throttling practices, it's
    completely baffling to me. If they're losing money so they have to
    throttle, then they need to change their slogan and tell people "yeah,
    we throttle, so hold on to your movies longer." You may like the
    service but you're telling everyone they're great isn't going to
    change the minds of the millions of people getting throttled. It would
    be like Skilling's daughter telling Enron employees "he's not a bad
    man, he's great!'

    BTW, Blockbuster is just as bad. I've had it for a week. So far I've
    gotten two movies. One was sitting my queue the entire time and never
    showed. I emailed and told them, so they took it out of my queue and
    said "we'll send another copy" so now, despite the fact there are
    three movies 'returned" my queue is empty. So so far, in the first
    week, I've had two movies sent to me. They 'returned" this morning but
    despite the fact I've got 30 movies in my queue all available, my
    queue is still empty. It's only a two week trial so I will definitely
    be canceling. Sadly, there is no such thing as a good online rental
    service. How sad.

    TH, Sep 11, 2007
  14. TH wrote:

    > On Sep 9, 9:06 pm, shower_urinator <> wrote:
    >
    >>Netflix has to throttle to limit mass copying.

    > Fine. I have no problem with that as long as they stop making the
    > claim "as many movies as you want." If they change their advertising
    > to "unlimited movies unless we deem it to be too many, then we'll hold
    > back some" they'd never get another complaint. Ever.
    >
    > But when i see people sticking up for their throttling practices, it's
    > completely baffling to me.

    Probably because they're not the ones being throttled.

    > If they're losing money so they have to
    > throttle, then they need to change their slogan and tell people "yeah,
    > we throttle, so hold on to your movies longer." You may like the
    > service but you're telling everyone they're great isn't going to
    > change the minds of the millions of people getting throttled. It would
    > be like Skilling's daughter telling Enron employees "he's not a bad
    > man, he's great!'

    So, you're saying it's *okay* for the company to say it really is all
    the greedy-pig and/or ruthless copy-parasite customer's fault, so long
    as they admit it in public?

    ....Well, WE'VE been saying it to your face for years, and you never
    believed US! ;)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Sep 11, 2007
  15. TH

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    TH <> wrote:

    > It's absolutley ridiculous. They need to then make it "not available"
    > if the disk is actually not available. i've never seen anything so
    > amazingly stupid and misleading. And I thought Netflix was bad.

    We tried Blockbuster as a free trial. Over 30 days, we went through
    about 9 discs. Only one played through with no problems. 2 were
    scratched so badly they were unplayable. The other 6 (includes the
    replacements for the other 2 unplayable discs) were playable, but had to
    skip a scene because of scratches.

    With Netflix, we've only had problems with 1 disc - and we've rented well
    over 100 discs so far.

    We haven't had a problem with throttling yet, mainly because our DVD
    viewing tends to go in bursts of high activity, then nothing for a month.

    --
    It's not broken. It's...advanced.

    Doug Jacobs, Sep 11, 2007
  16. TH

    TH Guest

    On Sep 11, 1:52 pm, Doug Jacobs <> wrote:
    > TH <> wrote:
    > > It's absolutley ridiculous. They need to then make it "not available"
    > > if the disk is actually not available. i've never seen anything so
    > > amazingly stupid and misleading. And I thought Netflix was bad.

    > We tried Blockbuster as a free trial. Over 30 days, we went through
    > about 9 discs. Only one played through with no problems. 2 were
    > scratched so badly they were unplayable. The other 6 (includes the
    > replacements for the other 2 unplayable discs) were playable, but had to
    > skip a scene because of scratches.

    I will definitely not be renewing BB after the trial is over. I
    thought Netflix was bad but BB is actually worse. We had two disks
    turned in yesterday morning. It's Tuesday afternoon and the next two
    disks (which were 4 and 5 in the queue, despite the fact the 3 above
    them were available now) have just now showed up in the queue and say
    they won't be at our place until Thursday. Our other disk never came
    and they are sending out another one, which of course, won't be here
    until Thursday, meaning for a week and a half we only had 2 disks.
    Goodbye BB.

    TH, Sep 11, 2007
  17. TH

    Tarkus Guest

    TH wrote:
    > I will definitely not be renewing BB after the trial is over. I
    > thought Netflix was bad but BB is actually worse.

    If people judged Netflix based on value instead of some perceived
    perfection in their head, they'd be far less critical. It speaks
    volumes that for all the bitching people do about Netflix, they never
    seem to find anyone else who gives them a better value.

    Tarkus, Sep 12, 2007
  18. TH

    Guest

    TH wrote:
    >> I will definitely not be renewing BB after the trial is over. I
    >> thought Netflix was bad but BB is actually worse.

    >If people judged Netflix based on value instead of some perceived
    >perfection in their head, they'd be far less critical. It speaks
    >volumes that for all the bitching people do about Netflix, they never
    >seem to find anyone else who gives them a better value.

    Preach on brother! I've been reading these posts for a few days now about how lame netflix is, but all I can say is that I live in Wichita Kansas (not the
    hugest town in the world) and all my videos get delivered in one day and all my returns make it back in one day. I total about 35 rentals monthly and life
    is good. According to the mailing label, there is a distribution center in Wichita, so I guess my point is...

    QUIT your whining TH, are you expecting Cockblocker and Netfux to come out to your house and blow you for $9.99 a month ?

    -yukon

    Posted with NewsLeecher v3.5 Beta 10
    ------------------- ----- ---- -- -

    , Sep 12, 2007
  19. TH

    TH Guest

    On Sep 11, 7:22 pm, Tarkus <> wrote:

    > If people judged Netflix based on value instead of some perceived
    > perfection in their head, they'd be far less critical. It speaks
    > volumes that for all the bitching people do about Netflix, they never
    > seem to find anyone else who gives them a better value.

    here we go, the same ridiculous sticking up for a service that lies.

    What "perception?" The perception is created by Netflix when they
    claim you can rent as many DVDs as you want. Then they do not allow
    this to happen. Then when people complain that they're lying about the
    "service" they offer, people you actually side with the sleazy, lying
    service. It's baffling to me. I guess it takes all kinds.

    I swear, if a company came along with the "we will not throttle, we
    will send a disk out as soon as you send one in. We will not lie to
    you or wait a few days to send out your next disk" slogan, they would
    blow Netflix out of the water. When Netflix goes under, that will be a
    great day. Thanks.

    TH, Sep 12, 2007
  20. TH

    TH Guest

    On Sep 12, 1:29 am, yukoncornel () wrote:
    > TH wrote:
    > >> I will definitely not be renewing BB after the trial is over. I
    > >> thought Netflix was bad but BB is actually worse.

    > >If people judged Netflix based on value instead of some perceived
    > >perfection in their head, they'd be far less critical. It speaks
    > >volumes that for all the bitching people do about Netflix, they never
    > >seem to find anyone else who gives them a better value.

    > Preach on brother! I've been reading these posts for a few days now about how lame netflix is, but all I can say is that I live in Wichita Kansas (not the
    > hugest town in the world) and all my videos get delivered in one day and all my returns make it back in one day. I total about 35 rentals monthly and life
    > is good. According to the mailing label, there is a distribution center in Wichita, so I guess my point is...
    >
    > QUIT your whining TH, are you expecting Cockblocker and Netfux to come out to your house and blow you for $9.99 a month ?
    >
    > -yukon

    wow. A guy in Witchita is passing judgment on me. hilarious.

    Then again, the highlight of your life is getting your Netflix disks.
    35 rentals a month? I can't think of 35 movies I want to see in the
    coming year! what an exciting life you must lead!

    TH, Sep 12, 2007