    Does anybody which program is telling lies?

    Appreciated.

    Steve

    Guest, May 7, 2005

  2. Guest

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mr wrote:
    > Does anybody which program is telling lies?

    Discussion - .pdf -- http://www.techsupportalert.com/pdf/r1158.pdf -
    Third-Party Windows Defrag Tools - The defraggers supplied as part of
    Windows are adequate, but third-party tools perform much better, giving
    significantly better results and better reporting. We discuss the
    products available and how they score over the built-in versions.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 7, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > Mr wrote:
    > > Does anybody which program is telling lies?

    > Discussion - .pdf -- http://www.techsupportalert.com/pdf/r1158.pdf -
    > Third-Party Windows Defrag Tools - The defraggers supplied as part of
    > Windows are adequate, but third-party tools perform much better, giving
    > significantly better results and better reporting. We discuss the
    > products available and how they score over the built-in versions.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Thanks Mike.
    I will take a look at the address.

    Steve

    Guest, May 7, 2005
  4. Guest

    > Mr wrote:
    > > Does anybody which program is telling lies?

    > Discussion - .pdf -- http://www.techsupportalert.com/pdf/r1158.pdf -
    > Third-Party Windows Defrag Tools - The defraggers supplied as part of
    > Windows are adequate, but third-party tools perform much better, giving
    > significantly better results and better reporting. We discuss the
    > products available and how they score over the built-in versions.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    I cannot open this.
    Any suggestions appreciated.

    Steve

    Guest, May 7, 2005
  5. Guest

    TJ Guest

    Mr wrote:

    > "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >> Mr wrote:

    >>> Does anybody which program is telling lies?

    >> Discussion - .pdf -- http://www.techsupportalert.com/pdf/r1158.pdf -
    >> Third-Party Windows Defrag Tools - The defraggers supplied as part of
    >> Windows are adequate, but third-party tools perform much better,
    >> giving significantly better results and better reporting. We discuss
    >> the products available and how they score over the built-in versions.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Easter

    > I cannot open this.
    > Any suggestions appreciated.

    It's in .pdf format which means you need the Adobe reader in order to view
    it. It's a free download;

    TJ, May 7, 2005
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "TJ" <> wrote in message
    > Mr wrote:
    >
    > > "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message

    > >> Discussion - .pdf -- http://www.techsupportalert.com/pdf/r1158.pdf -
    > >> Third-Party Windows Defrag Tools - The defraggers supplied as part of
    > >> Windows are adequate, but third-party tools perform much better,
    > >> giving significantly better results and better reporting. We discuss
    > >> the products available and how they score over the built-in versions.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Mike Easter

    > > I cannot open this.
    > > Any suggestions appreciated.

    > It's in .pdf format which means you need the Adobe reader in order to view
    > it. It's a free download;
    >
    > http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

    Thanks.
    I have recently & very cleverly kicked it off my ageing computer as I saw no
    need for it.
    Sometimes I think that I should cut my fingers off!

    Steve

    Guest, May 7, 2005
  7. Guest

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mr Pounder
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> Discussion - .pdf -- http://www.techsupportalert.com/pdf/r1158.pdf -

    > I cannot open this.
    > Any suggestions appreciated.

    Here's the google conversion of the article to html
    http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cach...t.com/pdf/r1158.pdf freeware defraggers&hl=en

    Here's where you go to Adobe to get Adobe to convert one for you
    http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/access_onlinetools.html

    You can take my link and feed it to the adobe converter.

    Actually the article is not /that/ great to be talking about it this
    much; what would be better would be a compare and contrast some
    freeware ones.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 7, 2005
  8. <Mr > wrote:
    > Running Win 98 se, 5 year old Packard Bell which has been good to me.
    > I defrag in safe mode as this is the only way that the computer will have
    > it.

    > After scandisk & defrag I run Norton Speed Disk which tells me that I still
    > have fragmentation.
    > After this I run Diskeeper Lite (freeware) which tells me that ''this volume
    > is heavily fragmented''.

    > Does anybody which program is telling lies?

    My guess would be the Microsoft program.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, May 7, 2005
  9. Guest

    Noel Paton Guest

    Each defragger has its own optimisation routine - and none are similar.
    You will ALWAYS get disagreements between opposing defraggers, and they are
    ALL right!<g>

    pick a single defragger, and keep on using it, your system (and hairstyle)
    will thank you.

    BTW, DO NOT allow Norton to 'Optimise the Swapfile' - it WILL kill your
    system sooner or later.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, May 7, 2005
  10. Guest

    http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:i5ri87G8XkwJ:www.techsupportalert.com/p
    df/r1158.pdf+freeware+defraggers&hl=en

    > Here's where you go to Adobe to get Adobe to convert one for you
    > http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/access_onlinetools.html
    >
    > You can take my link and feed it to the adobe converter.
    >
    > Actually the article is not /that/ great to be talking about it this
    > much; what would be better would be a compare and contrast some
    > freeware ones.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Article is fine:

    Thanks for the link ............ it worked.

    Steve

    Guest, May 7, 2005
  11. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "Noel Paton" <> wrote in message
    > BTW, DO NOT allow Norton to 'Optimise the Swapfile' - it WILL kill your
    > system sooner or later.

    Oh!!!!

    I will change that one.

    Thanks

    Steve

    Guest, May 7, 2005
  12. Mr wrote:
    > "Noel Paton" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>BTW, DO NOT allow Norton to 'Optimise the Swapfile' - it WILL kill your
    >>system sooner or later.

    > Oh!!!!
    >
    > I will change that one.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Steve

    Your defragger is 16 bit, you can replace it with the 32 bit version
    which comes with ME.

    A clue to where you can get a copy is in my sig.

    --
    http://www.absey-vine.co.uk/software/

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, May 7, 2005
  13. Guest

    Plato Guest

    Mr wrote:

    > Running Win 98 se, 5 year old Packard Bell which has been good to me.
    > I defrag in safe mode as this is the only way that the computer will have
    > it.
    >
    > After scandisk & defrag I run Norton Speed Disk which tells me that I still
    > have fragmentation.

    Nothing to worry about. The ms defrag is fine.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 8, 2005
  14. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > Mr wrote:
    > > "Noel Paton" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>BTW, DO NOT allow Norton to 'Optimise the Swapfile' - it WILL kill your
    > >>system sooner or later.

    > > Oh!!!!
    > >
    > > I will change that one.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Steve
    > >

    > Your defragger is 16 bit, you can replace it with the 32 bit version
    > which comes with ME.
    >
    > A clue to where you can get a copy is in my sig.
    >
    > --
    > http://www.absey-vine.co.uk/software/

    I will take a look at your link, again, as I have read you in the past.
    Without looking I think it is Powerdefrag which my computer did not like
    last time.
    But I will take a look.

    Respects .............. you have been posting here for a long time.

    Steve

    Guest, May 8, 2005
  15. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > Mr wrote:
    > > "Noel Paton" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>BTW, DO NOT allow Norton to 'Optimise the Swapfile' - it WILL kill your
    > >>system sooner or later.

    > > Oh!!!!
    > >
    > > I will change that one.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Steve
    > >

    > Your defragger is 16 bit, you can replace it with the 32 bit version
    > which comes with ME.
    >
    > A clue to where you can get a copy is in my sig.
    >
    > --
    > http://www.absey-vine.co.uk/software/

    Defrag used ............. very very much faster & no need for safe mode.
    Thank you.

    Norton still tells me 1% fragmentatio - but so what.

    Steve

    Guest, May 8, 2005