Any opinions on this Ballhead please

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mike Shipmann, Aug 13, 2005.

  1. Mike Shipmann, Aug 13, 2005

  2. Mike Shipmann

    [BnH] Guest

    [BnH], Aug 13, 2005

  3. Mike Shipmann

    Henrik Tived Guest

    Looks very similar to my Arca Swiss B1 and if anything like it, it is great!

    Henrik

    Henrik Tived, Aug 13, 2005
  4. Mike Shipmann

    C Wright Guest

    On 8/13/05 8:56 AM, in article
    , "Mike Shipmann"
    <> wrote:

    > http://www.markins.com/2.0/eng/products/ballheads/m10.html
    >
    > It looks very good and is well presented there.

    Looks to be, and probably is, a very solid ball head. The only knock that I
    would have against it is the quick release knob instead of a lever type
    quick release. I don't understand why so many 'quick release' tripod heads
    use a knob instead of a lever. If quick release is really wanted then why
    not truly make it a _quick release_!

    C Wright, Aug 13, 2005
  5. Mike Shipmann

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <BF239F64.35F3B%wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com>,
    C Wright <wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com> wrote:

    > I don't understand why so many 'quick release' tripod heads
    > use a knob instead of a lever.

    Awfully easy to accidently bump a lever. That is why the wrench supplied
    with the Linhof Quickfix can be used as a safety guard to protect the
    quickrelease lever.

    On the other hand Giotto's Kaiser and Novoflex use a safety lock that
    you have to push while pushing the quickrelease plate release. An
    unprotected lever can make your equipment end up on the ground.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Aug 13, 2005
  6. Mike Shipmann

    C Wright Guest

    On 8/13/05 1:06 PM, in article
    , "Bob Salomon"
    <> wrote:

    > In article <BF239F64.35F3B%wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com>,
    > C Wright <wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I don't understand why so many 'quick release' tripod heads
    >> use a knob instead of a lever.

    > Awfully easy to accidently bump a lever. That is why the wrench supplied
    > with the Linhof Quickfix can be used as a safety guard to protect the
    > quickrelease lever.
    >
    > On the other hand Giotto's Kaiser and Novoflex use a safety lock that
    > you have to push while pushing the quickrelease plate release. An
    > unprotected lever can make your equipment end up on the ground.

    What you say may be true, but not in my experience. I use a RRS ball head
    with the lever quick release (no safety lock) and have not to date had my
    equipment end up on the ground. It takes a pretty long pull on the lever,
    not a simple bump, to open it.

    C Wright, Aug 13, 2005
  7. Mike Shipmann

    Henrik Tived Guest

    Hi C Wright,

    that really supprises me, RRS, does not have a safy thingy...I don't have
    any RRS quick release plates, but Arca Swiss with quick release, which has a
    leaver which needs to be pulled first before it can be turned to open.
    thanks for sharing that information as I was thinking of getting some for my
    other RRS gear!

    Henrik

    Henrik Tived, Aug 14, 2005
  8. Mike Shipmann

    petal666 Guest

    petal666, Aug 15, 2005
  9. Mike Shipmann

    Henry Guest

    I had one, but the wheel fell off.

    Henry, Aug 16, 2005
  10. In article <z28Me.86196$>,
    says...
    > It's great. Very well built and works a treat.

    I just contacted them regarding the plates and it is a pity that I have
    to purchase 3 or more plates which are quite expensive too (on top of
    the ball head price).
    Isn't there a generic plate which would fit the 10D, the 10D with
    battery grip, any future cameras and the 70-200 2.8L lens (with the lens
    shoe)?

    Thanks.

    Mike Shipmann, Aug 16, 2005
  11. In article <z28Me.86196$>,