  1. AW

    AW Guest

    Can someone tell me if this is a good camera and what it is worth? Thanks.

    AW, Feb 18, 2005

  2. AW

    Pete D Guest

    It is a good camera and it is worth about half what you will pay. ;-D

    If you have to ask then this camera is not for you.

    Google is your friend as is www.dpreview.com

    Pete D, Feb 18, 2005

  3. AW

    Pete D Guest

    They are old (5-6 years) now and only 2.74MP, expect to pay US$500-700
    secondhand and well used.

    Pete D, Feb 18, 2005
  4. AW

    AW Guest

    Thanks. Yes, I'm quite a newbie to cameras but I might be able to get one of
    those cameras for a good price (perhaps around $400) and I want to know if
    it has any flaws or things that make it a camera I should avoid buying for
    any reason. I'm not sure if I really need the extra MP, since I need smaller
    pics anyway that are practical for use on the internet. Should I snatch this
    one up?

    AW, Feb 18, 2005
  5. AW

    Mark² Guest

    "AW" <> wrote in message news:MfvRd.41811$uc.6053@trnddc04...
    > Thanks. Yes, I'm quite a newbie to cameras but I might be able to get one of
    > those cameras for a good price (perhaps around $400) and I want to know if
    > it has any flaws or things that make it a camera I should avoid buying for
    > any reason. I'm not sure if I really need the extra MP, since I need smaller
    > pics anyway that are practical for use on the internet. Should I snatch this
    > one up?

    Does it come with a lens that suits your needs?
    -Or is it just the body with no lens?
    If no lens, then pe prepaired to pony up additional cash for a camera that is severely
    low-resolution by today's standards.

    Mark², Feb 18, 2005
  6. AW

    AW Guest

    No, it does not appear to include a lens. How much will a decent all-purpose
    lens cost, maybe used, that will be probably used for mainly close-up,
    indoor pics? Thanks.

    AW, Feb 19, 2005
  7. AW

    Sheldon Guest

    "AW" <> wrote in message
    > No, it does not appear to include a lens. How much will a decent
    > all-purpose
    > lens cost, maybe used, that will be probably used for mainly close-up,
    > indoor pics? Thanks.

    >> "AW" <> wrote in message

    >> > Thanks. Yes, I'm quite a newbie to cameras but I might be able to get

    > one of
    >> > those cameras for a good price (perhaps around $400) and I want to know

    > if
    >> > it has any flaws or things that make it a camera I should avoid buying

    > for
    >> > any reason. I'm not sure if I really need the extra MP, since I need

    > smaller
    >> > pics anyway that are practical for use on the internet. Should I snatch

    > this
    >> > one up?

    >> Does it come with a lens that suits your needs?
    >> -Or is it just the body with no lens?
    >> If no lens, then pe prepaired to pony up additional cash for a camera
    >> that

    > is severely
    >> low-resolution by today's standards.
    >>
    >> > "Pete D" <> wrote in message

    >> > Thanks.

    Just a thought: If you are buying this camera for shooting items for eBay,
    you would probably be much happier with a simple point and shoot digital
    that has a macro function. No extra lenses and settings to deal with, and
    in many cases you can post the original pics from the camera without any
    extra work. You don't need much more than a 640x480 image.

    Sheldon, Feb 19, 2005
  8. I hate to disappoint you, I tried this same trick late last year. I tried to
    get a Nikon D100 on the cheap, I thought for sure given the D70's
    introduction the D100 could be had for $650-700, after all the very
    comparable-to-it Canon EOS10D had dropped down to that range and the better
    D70 was right at $1000. But in fact, good freaking luck; the D100 sells for
    at least $800 used, commonly $900. It's ridiculous.

    I agree with the others, you will pay an inordinate amount of money for it
    considering the low resolution it has by today's standards. Yes it has a
    very tough build as it's based on the Nikon F5, but resolution-wise heck the
    cheap models like the Canon Digital Rebel or Nikon's own D70 would far
    surpass it in image quality.

    A Nikon D1x would be much better, and they have dropped in price a lot from
    what they used to cost. They have 5.7 megapixels if I recall (practically 6)
    and the same tough body, that's a better bet. Or, the Canon EOS10D can be
    had for $700 or so, or the Canon Digital Rebel can be had sometimes used at
    Fred Miranda's buy/sell form (http://www.fredmiranda.com) for $600 or so,
    sometimes with the 18-55 lens.

    I do like Nikons for real, but it is amazing how much their older cameras
    (the D1x excepted) cost. It just doesn't compute to me.

    LRH

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Feb 19, 2005
  9. AW

    AW Guest

    Thanks for all the responses from the group. I have decided to pass on the
    camera at this time based mainly on the fact I will need invest more money
    into it to get it going, and for other reasons mentioned here as well...

    Thanks.

    AW

    AW, Feb 19, 2005
  10. AW

    AW Guest

    There is an automatic mode I can use, right? And can I buy a 'macro lens'
    seperately? Also, if i can post pics on ebay hosted from a different site, I
    can use higher res pics...

    AW, Feb 19, 2005