Any opinions on Canon Powershot A410, A520, or A530?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by deetee, Jun 16, 2006.

  1. deetee

    deetee Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm about to buy my first digital and am leaning toward the Canon
    Powershots named above, partly due to cost (under $200 including the
    memory card) and partly out of laziness (I've been using Canon SLRs for
    about 20 years).

    Consumer Reports raves about the A520, but the reviews on Amazon.com
    are mixed. Some reviewers complain about mechanical things like the
    lens cover door sticking halfway open or the zoom lens sticking halfway
    out, and others complain about photographic problems: the white
    highlights looking yellow, or the way that you can't take pix indoors
    without flash or two spotlights. Someone said this camera was useless
    for, say, taking pix for Ebay, despite Canon's claim that the A520's
    speed and light-gathering ability are equal to ISO 800. To be fair, a
    lot of reviewers raved about the camera, and statistically people with
    bad experiences are more likely to review a product than satisfied
    customers, but I did notice that the people with bad experiences tended
    to be experienced photographers (as I am, despite my lack of digital
    experience) and that the people who cheered loudly were more likely to
    be novices. (In some, not all, cases.)

    So: does anyone have any detailed info. they can give me about the
    A410, A520, or A530? I'm willing to consider alternatives, as long as
    the camera has optical zoom, is within my budget, and (preferably) has
    a separate viewfinder from LCD display. I plan to save images to a CD
    and print them out at Ritz or CVS, if that makes a difference in which
    camera I'd choose (sharpness-of-image-wise). I plan to use the camera
    for Ebay pix, but also would like something that I could have some
    control over when shooting more serious photos...I'd like to be able to
    control f/stop, shutter speed, etc. when needed, but also would like a
    camera that can be used as a stooopid point and shoot at a party.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    -deetee

    P.S. I know that typically buying an extended warranty is idiocy, but
    is it idiocy in this case? (I can hear Homer Simpson saying dumbly,
    "Extended warranty--how can I lose?") Does a digital camera typically
    come with, say, a one-year factory warranty? If so, is it any good at
    solving the sorts of mechanical problems named above, or does Canon
    make it so hard to get repairs that you're sorry you even asked? (Dish
    some dirt, if needed!) Thanks.
    deetee, Jun 16, 2006

  2. deetee

    gpsman Guest

    deetee wrote: <brevity snip>

    > I'm about to buy my first digital and am leaning toward the Canon
    > Powershots named above, partly due to cost (under $200 including the
    > memory card) and partly out of laziness (I've been using Canon SLRs for
    > about 20 years).

    I got the 520 from Wal-mart a year ago and have no complaints. For
    that $ you can't go wrong. It does a great job and I can't believe how
    long my batteries last including using flash.
    -----

    - gpsman
    gpsman, Jun 16, 2006

  3. deetee

    tomm42 Guest

    Hi,
    I looked at the 520 for my son last Christmas. Liked the Canon 610
    better so that is what he got. The only critisms I heard of the A5xx
    was that with 2 batteries it was easy to run out of juice for operating
    the cameras, lockups and things like that were somehow due to not
    having enough power to complete the operation, hence the 4 batteries in
    the A6xx series. But a lot of people like the size of the A5xx. The
    pics I have seen from my son's camera are good, reviews have also liked
    these cameras and their images.
    As for taking pics for Ebay most folks are clueless so I would say in
    this case listen to the reviewers not folks complaining about bad Ebay
    pics. Product photos are not an easy thing to do.

    Tom

    tomm42, Jun 16, 2006
  4. deetee

    Davy Guest