Any Opinions of Xnet as an ISP?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John S, Nov 18, 2006.

  1. John S

    John S Guest

    Presently I'm on dial-up with Paradise.net (how times have changed -
    Paradise used to be such a great ISP), and I'm thinking of moving to
    "broadband"

    On the face of it Xnet looks quite attractive for my purposes $26.95 per
    month (plus $1.54 per GB) and no requirement to use their toll service -
    this is for their basic entry level plan 256k/128k.

    Just wondering if anyone in this group uses Xnet and would care to comment
    on their performance? The web site doesn't say whether they offer a usenet
    server but their terms and conditions mention posting to newsgroups.

    (Just wondering if that is an accidental hangover from the days when xtra
    had a newsgroup server, and that meybe Xnet customers could use it at theat
    time)?

    Cheers,

    John S

    John S, Nov 18, 2006

  2. John S

    Peter Guest

    John S wrote:
    > Just wondering if anyone in this group uses Xnet and would care to comment
    > on their performance? The web site doesn't say whether they offer a
    > usenet server but their terms and conditions mention posting to
    > newsgroups.

    The Nov 2006 edition of Consumer magazine has an article on broadband ISPs
    and Xnet comes out pretty good.
    To compare plans, see www.internetchoice.co.nz .
    Regarding usenet, I would strongly recommend you explicitly ask them. That
    way, they at least get some feedback that at least some of their customers
    want usenet.

    You might like to consider getting a plan that restricts speed when you hit
    the monthly data cap, as the $/MB overrun plans can be very expensive.

    The Consumer magazine was quite scathing of Xtra, especially their
    misleading advertising of "maximum speed" internet.

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter, Nov 18, 2006

  3. John S

    Philip Guest

    John S wrote:
    > Presently I'm on dial-up with Paradise.net (how times have changed -
    > Paradise used to be such a great ISP), and I'm thinking of moving to
    > "broadband"
    >
    > On the face of it Xnet looks quite attractive for my purposes $26.95 per
    > month (plus $1.54 per GB) and no requirement to use their toll service -
    > this is for their basic entry level plan 256k/128k.
    >
    > Just wondering if anyone in this group uses Xnet and would care to comment
    > on their performance? The web site doesn't say whether they offer a usenet
    > server but their terms and conditions mention posting to newsgroups.
    >
    > (Just wondering if that is an accidental hangover from the days when xtra
    > had a newsgroup server, and that meybe Xnet customers could use it at theat
    > time)?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John S

    I changed to XNet from Orcon, because XNet don't charge for NZ peered
    content, which allows me to stream my radio stations without worrying
    about data quotas.

    Speeds seem OK, they are efficient at changing you over because they
    look after it for you and protect you from all the Telecom 'cant do that
    before next month' nonsense.

    Consumer.org.nz latest reports show them among the top three, and I
    would endorse that. The help desk is there and amiable and
    knowledgeable, NNTP server has everything I want on it (ten groups, none
    of them binaries) and the charges are reasonable. I don't know about
    gaming or P2P because I don't do much of either.

    Downtime is average, outages infrequent and most likely to be a digger
    chewing a cable, in my experience.

    I'll change my office server as soon as I sign the lease on our new
    offices and we will be past the time limit so I don't have to pay $100
    for the junk "free" router Orcon supplied that fell over irregularly
    every day until I replaced it after a month with something that actually
    worked and didn't just sit there not even blinking.

    XNet rightly assumed I would know what router I wanted to use and didn't
    try to "give" me one. If they had, it wouldn't have been the one I chose...

    Philip

    Philip, Nov 18, 2006
  4. John S

    Earl Grey Guest

    Philip wrote:

    > I changed to XNet from Orcon, because XNet don't charge for NZ peered
    > content, which allows me to stream my radio stations without worrying
    > about data quotas.

    Thanks for that tip, you just made another sale for them

    Earl Grey, Nov 18, 2006
  5. John S

    k Guest

    Earl Grey wrote:
    > Philip wrote:
    >

    >> I changed to XNet from Orcon, because XNet don't charge for NZ peered
    >> content, which allows me to stream my radio stations without worrying
    >> about data quotas.
    >>

    > Thanks for that tip, you just made another sale for them

    hmmm, I heard they didn't do that anymore...

    k, Nov 18, 2006
  6. John S

    Earl Grey Guest

    k wrote:
    > Earl Grey wrote:
    >> Philip wrote:
    >>

    >>> I changed to XNet from Orcon, because XNet don't charge for NZ peered
    >>> content, which allows me to stream my radio stations without worrying
    >>> about data quotas.
    >>>

    >> Thanks for that tip, you just made another sale for them

    > hmmm, I heard they didn't do that anymore...

    hmmm, Its worth asking for sure ...

    Earl Grey, Nov 18, 2006
  7. John S

    Philip Guest

    k wrote:
    > Earl Grey wrote:
    >> Philip wrote:
    >>

    >>> I changed to XNet from Orcon, because XNet don't charge for NZ peered
    >>> content, which allows me to stream my radio stations without worrying
    >>> about data quotas.
    >>>

    >> Thanks for that tip, you just made another sale for them

    > hmmm, I heard they didn't do that anymore...

    I haven't heard about that, and as one of their customers using their
    streaming service I guess they would have told me.

    Call them on 0800 14 96 38 and check it out.

    And for the record: I am a customer, I have no shares or investment with
    them, I just like the way they have behaved with me so far. They are
    what I thought Orcon would be but turned out not to be.

    Philip

    Philip, Nov 18, 2006
  8. John S

    Tony Guest

    >>> I changed to XNet from Orcon, because XNet don't charge for NZ peered
    >>> content, which allows me to stream my radio stations without worrying
    >>> about data quotas.
    >>>

    >> Thanks for that tip, you just made another sale for them

    > hmmm, I heard they didn't do that anymore...

    Their new plans don't have the free peer traffic, but you are not forced
    to move to a new plan if you are on one of the old plans.

    Tony, Nov 18, 2006
  9. John S

    El Chippy Guest

    "Earl Grey" <> wrote in message news:455e9330$...
    > Philip wrote:
    >

    >> I changed to XNet from Orcon, because XNet don't charge for NZ peered
    >> content, which allows me to stream my radio stations without worrying
    >> about data quotas.
    >>

    > Thanks for that tip, you just made another sale for them

    The new plans do charge for national traffic so you're out of luck there.

    And yes, if you can see this message they do have a newsserver :)

    as for performance.. everytime i have bothered to test it i have got 80%+
    full linespeed on national and international speedtests (i only sync at
    around 1.5Mbit however due to bad lines i assume. I'm on a 2Mbit/128 10Gb
    plan so i'm happy with what i'm getting.

    The new plans are more expensive than the old ones. But hopefully this will
    keep a few of the leechers away.

    El Chippy, Nov 18, 2006
  10. John S

    John S Guest

    Just following up my own original post to say thanks for the responses.
    Looks like Xnet is a reasonable choice, and probably the way I will go.

    Seems I now need to work out a few other things, like sorting out a good
    value modem/4-port router, understanding the technicalities of plug-in
    filters versus installing a splitter, should I get my own domain etc.

    Off to do a bit of Googling for a start.

    Thanks again for the comments.

    Cheers,

    John S

    John S, Nov 18, 2006
  11. John S <> wrote:

    > Just following up my own original post to say thanks for the responses.
    > Looks like Xnet is a reasonable choice, and probably the way I will go.
    >
    > Seems I now need to work out a few other things, like sorting out a good
    > value modem/4-port router, understanding the technicalities of plug-in
    > filters versus installing a splitter, should I get my own domain etc.
    >
    > Off to do a bit of Googling for a start.
    >
    > Thanks again for the comments.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John S

    When it comes to ADSL routers - ZyXEL and Speedtouch do good kit. Or
    just run the model by this group and you'll get plenty of opinions. As
    for getting a central splitter - you'll only need that if you have a
    monitored burglar alarm or more then five phones in the household.
    Otherwise just go with plugin filters for every jackpoint.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Nov 18, 2006
  12. John S

    kiwinebula Guest

    "Philip" <> wrote in message
    > I'll change my office server as soon as I sign the lease on our new
    > offices and we will be past the time limit so I don't have to pay $100
    > for the junk "free" router Orcon supplied that fell over irregularly
    > every day until I replaced it after a month with something that actually
    > worked and didn't just sit there not even blinking.
    >
    > XNet rightly assumed I would know what router I wanted to use and didn't
    > try to "give" me one. If they had, it wouldn't have been the one I

    chose...

    > Philip

    What was the router orcon supplied?

    kiwinebula, Nov 18, 2006
  13. John S

    kiwinebula Guest

    "Earl Grey" <> wrote in message news:455e9330$...
    > Philip wrote:
    >

    > > I changed to XNet from Orcon, because XNet don't charge for NZ peered
    > > content, which allows me to stream my radio stations without worrying
    > > about data quotas.
    > >

    > Thanks for that tip, you just made another sale for them

    Except that they do charge for national traffic now, this changed a couple
    of weeks ago although those that joined before this time will still be on
    the old plans, for me though this is not really an issue as my national
    traffic is very low anyhow and i prefer the flexibility of the new plans.

    kiwinebula, Nov 18, 2006
  14. John S

    kiwinebula Guest

    "Philip" <> wrote in message

    > Consumer.org.nz latest reports show them among the top three, and I
    > would endorse that. The help desk is there and amiable and
    > knowledgeable, NNTP server has everything I want on it (ten groups, none
    > of them binaries) and the charges are reasonable. I don't know about
    > gaming or P2P because I don't do much of either.

    The good news with xnet is that you don't have long wait times when ringing
    them but the bad news is there helpdesk is just as useless as the likes of
    clearnet etc..., that's if you are reporting a problem that is not at your
    end of things, this is a complete waste of your time as it is elsewhere, you
    get stonewalled, they have no interest in anything that might be their
    responsibility so anyhow like I said don't expect any better service with
    these guys when something goes wrong at their end. Also they seem to have
    quite a few arrogant guys on the help desk, they are not pleasant to deal
    with and this applies whether there is a problem at their end or not.

    kiwinebula, Nov 18, 2006
  15. John S

    Earl Grey Guest

    kiwinebula wrote:
    > "Earl Grey" <> wrote in message news:455e9330$...
    >> Philip wrote:
    >>
    >>> I changed to XNet from Orcon, because XNet don't charge for NZ peered
    >>> content, which allows me to stream my radio stations without worrying
    >>> about data quotas.
    >>>

    >> Thanks for that tip, you just made another sale for them

    > Except that they do charge for national traffic now, this changed a couple
    > of weeks ago although those that joined before this time will still be on
    > the old plans, for me though this is not really an issue as my national
    > traffic is very low anyhow and i prefer the flexibility of the new plans.

    'K
    Nevermind, there are other options.

    Earl Grey, Nov 19, 2006
  16. John S

    Richard Guest

    Philip wrote:

    > I changed to XNet from Orcon, because XNet don't charge for NZ peered
    > content, which allows me to stream my radio stations without worrying
    > about data quotas.

    They do on all the new plans :( - removed any incentive to change.

    > I'll change my office server as soon as I sign the lease on our new
    > offices and we will be past the time limit so I don't have to pay $100
    > for the junk "free" router Orcon supplied that fell over irregularly
    > every day until I replaced it after a month with something that actually
    > worked and didn't just sit there not even blinking.

    Those little dynalinks really are crap eh..

    Richard, Nov 19, 2006
  17. John S

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:17:50 +1300, Richard <> wrote:

    >Philip wrote:
    >
    >> I changed to XNet from Orcon, because XNet don't charge for NZ peered
    >> content, which allows me to stream my radio stations without worrying
    >> about data quotas.

    >They do on all the new plans :( - removed any incentive to change.
    >
    >> I'll change my office server as soon as I sign the lease on our new
    >> offices and we will be past the time limit so I don't have to pay $100
    >> for the junk "free" router Orcon supplied that fell over irregularly
    >> every day until I replaced it after a month with something that actually
    >> worked and didn't just sit there not even blinking.

    >Those little dynalinks really are crap eh..

    Were you meaning D-Link? I have one of those, freebie, when first
    went to broadband.

    GraB, Nov 20, 2006
  18. John S

    flash Guest

    On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 16:15:42 +1300, John S wrote:

    > Presently I'm on dial-up with Paradise.net (how times have changed -
    > Paradise used to be such a great ISP), and I'm thinking of moving to
    > "broadband"
    >
    > On the face of it Xnet looks quite attractive for my purposes $26.95 per
    > month (plus $1.54 per GB) and no requirement to use their toll service -
    > this is for their basic entry level plan 256k/128k.
    >
    > Just wondering if anyone in this group uses Xnet and would care to comment
    > on their performance? The web site doesn't say whether they offer a usenet
    > server but their terms and conditions mention posting to newsgroups.

    They do have news server listed. Listed in the important info page
    someplace.

    I have now experience of using their news server. However the broadband
    connection side of xnet is good. Speed is good. 2MB/s plan, no longer on
    offer.

    Service is good. They do say that the problem could be at their end and
    they will look into it. cf some of the things I have read here about ISP
    service.

    flash, Nov 20, 2006
  19. John S

    El Chippy Guest

    "flash" <> wrote in message

    > I have now experience of using their news server. However the broadband
    > connection side of xnet is good. Speed is good. 2MB/s plan, no longer on
    > offer.
    >
    > Service is good. They do say that the problem could be at their end and
    > they will look into it. cf some of the things I have read here about ISP
    > service.

    Speed seems to be good. 8.35-8.45pm speed test results
    City Down Up ping
    Auckland 1526 125 149ms
    Sydney 1562 110 174ms
    Los Angeles 1562 112 263ms
    Singapore 1203 100 315ms

    Modem DSL sync speed (Bad line) 1792/160
    on a no longer offered 2M/128kbit plan.

    Got speeds to the speedtest servers in Hong Kong and Cape Town of <110kbps.

    Helpdesk i cant comment on, i only used it to check i had correct settings
    when i signed up.

    El Chippy, Nov 20, 2006
  20. GraB <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:17:50 +1300, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    > >Philip wrote:
    > >
    > >> I changed to XNet from Orcon, because XNet don't charge for NZ peered
    > >> content, which allows me to stream my radio stations without worrying
    > >> about data quotas.

    > >They do on all the new plans :( - removed any incentive to change.
    > >
    > >> I'll change my office server as soon as I sign the lease on our new
    > >> offices and we will be past the time limit so I don't have to pay $100
    > >> for the junk "free" router Orcon supplied that fell over irregularly
    > >> every day until I replaced it after a month with something that actually
    > >> worked and didn't just sit there not even blinking.

    > >Those little dynalinks really are crap eh..

    > Were you meaning D-Link? I have one of those, freebie, when first
    > went to broadband.

    Dynalink is another brand. Orcon used to have a deal with them to offer
    a selection of their gear for reduced prices, or their bargain basement
    ADSL router free with a new connection. They were so-so ok, but ran too
    hot IME.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Nov 20, 2006