    CAT 5 Cable to around 100 meters..

    Has any one here done that here.

    Thanks

    Tony, Jun 15, 2005

  2. Tony wrote:
    > A friend would like to transmit S-Video Data using a Static Balun with
    > CAT 5 Cable to around 100 meters..

    > Has any one here done that here.

    not over that distance... I got ~20M before it started getting horribly
    ugly, maybe cat6/7 would be better?

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 15, 2005

  3. Tony

    Kent Smith Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Tony wrote:
    >> A friend would like to transmit S-Video Data using a Static
    >> Balun with CAT 5 Cable to around 100 meters..

    >> Has any one here done that here.

    > not over that distance... I got ~20M before it started getting
    > horribly ugly, maybe cat6/7 would be better?

    My 20M Cat5 looks great. Not sure about 100M though.

    Get a 100M ream of Cat5, chuck plugs on it and give it a go without
    unspooling it first.

    If no good, another idea, use 2 lengths of RG6.

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Jun 15, 2005
  4. Tony

    S Roby Guest

    Perhaps a signal booster/repeater gizmo would help??

    >Get a 100M ream of Cat5, chuck plugs on it and give it a go without
    >unspooling it first.

    Would the spool act like a big air coil/inductor( negating the test)

    S Roby, Jun 15, 2005
  5. Tony

    Richard Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > A friend would like to transmit S-Video Data using a Static Balun with
    > CAT 5 Cable to around 100 meters..
    >
    > Has any one here done that here.
    >
    > Thanks

    I couldnt even get 30 metres of B&W composite to work properly with baluns from
    jaycar - just sticking an RCA on each end was much better. What I found that
    there was a dark streak out to the right from anything bright, and a bright
    streak out from anything dark. I am assuming that it may have fared better with
    a colour signal with an AC subcarrier, but chances are your lumanance on the
    svideo would be affected the same.

    Next step was to look at an active balun like these - http://www.kat5.tv/index1.html

    Richard, Jun 15, 2005
  6. Tony

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 05:21:35 GMT, le (S Roby) wrote:

    >Perhaps a signal booster/repeater gizmo would help??
    >

    >>Get a 100M ream of Cat5, chuck plugs on it and give it a go without
    >>unspooling it first.
    >>

    >Would the spool act like a big air coil/inductor( negating the test)

    Plus you have to buy the balun's and they cost over $50 each..

    Tony, Jun 15, 2005
  7. Richard wrote:
    > I couldnt even get 30 metres of B&W composite to work properly with
    > baluns from jaycar - just sticking an RCA on each end was much better.
    > What I found that there was a dark streak out to the right from anything
    > bright, and a bright streak out from anything dark. I am assuming that
    > it may have fared better with a colour signal with an AC subcarrier, but
    > chances are your lumanance on the svideo would be affected the same.
    >
    > Next step was to look at an active balun like these -
    > http://www.kat5.tv/index1.html

    This project looks interesting. Any idea if there has been much
    activity, and if the switch module is likely to be available sometime soon?

    There doesn't seem to be much in the way of specifications on the site.
    I.e. what sort of performance can one expect from these products?

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jun 15, 2005