    life big time or does having the experiance count more...

    Ie should i bother with the exams and how do i motivate
    myself as most of this stuff is boring.

    m33p, Jun 30, 2003

  2. m33p

    |{evin Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 05:15:14 -0700, "m33p" <>
    wrote:

    >Chaps,
    >
    >Been wanting to get a accreditation for ages then MS
    >release a mcse and mcsa aimed at security.
    >Question: did having a mcse or mcsa change your working
    >life big time or does having the experiance count more...

    Experience.

    >Ie should i bother with the exams and how do i motivate
    >myself as most of this stuff is boring.

    If you find it boring then you should start looking for a new career.

    |{evin, Jul 1, 2003

  3. m33p

    Zenner Guest

    MS security is more of a "nice to have", if you are directly responsible for
    system security or need some form of validation for HR, your Boss or to
    impress the troops.

    There are other more technical, third-party or generic security
    certifications that hold more weight and open up more oppurtunities. An OS
    vendor specific certification is limited to that vendors products. It does
    go to show familiarity with the concepts of security, but I find fault
    with Microsoft training as it is based on memorization and familiarity with
    GUI controls (surprize, surprize!). Most of what you need to know is not
    covered in a certifaction class. Being familiar with DNS (internal/external,
    how to make use of Prinmary, secondary zones...as well and the AD-integrated
    MS products, when is it appropriate to use one over the other?). How to
    install and trouble shoot a firewall, which ports to open, which to never
    open and when/how to justify your decision. How to provide the best security
    your company or customer can afford and still present a better than average
    protection defense is the name of the game. Any system can be compromised,
    given enough time, access and exploiting systemic weaknesses. Your defense
    is to delay, decieve and deter the attacker. That gives you and your staff a
    chance to detect the intrusion and form a reasonable counter-attack or
    defense.

    Experince can be a method to learn, but it can also mean that the person
    just sat in a cubical and did what he was told for "x" number of
    years...experience is not the end-all, be-all that some in this forum are
    constantly touting.

    Zenner, Jul 1, 2003
  4. m33p

    Beoweolf Guest

    MS security is more of a "nice to have", if you are directly responsible for
    system security or need some form of validation for HR, your Boss or to
    impress the troops.

    There are other more technical, third-party or generic security
    certifications that hold more weight and open up more opportunities. An OS
    vendor specific certification is limited to that vendors products. It does
    go to show familiarity with the concepts of security, but I find fault
    with Microsoft training as it is based on memorization and familiarity with
    GUI controls (surprise, surprise!). Most of what you need to know is not
    covered in a certification class. Being familiar with DNS
    (internal/external,
    how to make use of Primary, secondary zones...as well and the AD-integrated
    MS products, when is it appropriate to use one over the other?). How to
    install and trouble shoot a firewall, which ports to open, which to never
    open and when/how to justify your decision. How to provide the best security
    your company or customer can afford and still present a better than average
    protection defense is the name of the game. Any system can be compromised,
    given enough time, access and exploiting systemic weaknesses. Your defense
    is to delay, deceive and deter the attacker. That gives you and your staff a
    chance to detect the intrusion and form a reasonable counter-attack or
    defense.

    Experience can be a method to learn, but it can also mean that the person

    Beoweolf, Jul 1, 2003
  5. m33p

    dave Guest

    Hi,

    Just like to reply to your post

    basically experience does count but getting the certs
    aids u even more.

    if it is boring for you then maybe this is not ur line

    regards

    dave, Jul 2, 2003
  6. m33p

    Consultant Guest

    that is untrue. i know many excellent engineers without a single cert.

    Consultant, Jul 8, 2003