Any one else using this book?

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by Daniel, Sep 12, 2004.

  1. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    "MCAD/MCSD Visual Basic .NET Certification" by Chambers, Fowler, Linde
    and Sequiera, from Osborne. Part of the "All-in-one" series, covers
    305, 306, 310. Been using this the last few weeks and curious about
    other's opinions on its overall worth. It seemed a good value, covering
    all three tests. My aim in pursuing certs is not just to get the certs,
    but to get some experience with the .NET technology in a structured way,
    since I don't have a job that uses it. It seems a good, if somewhat
    perfunctory, intro to VB.NET and ASP.NET... can't say for sure about the
    XML and web services etc. I've been concentrating on desktop to begin
    with... have read all the rest, but don't know enough about the subjects
    to know if they're being covered adequately. The included MasterExam
    practice tests seem of dubious value. Only 56 available questions for
    306 says to me that you're going to get every question, every time you
    do it. I see no value in memorizing answers to practice questions, and
    if every time you get the same questions, you're going to end up
    memorizing them whether you want to or not. Also, according to the 306
    practice exam, I'm ready. But surely don't feel like I have
    sufficiently worthwhile knowledge of the material to warrant that.
    Unlike when I was doing VB6 certs a few years ago. Suggesting that the
    MasterExam, at least, is simple-minded. Is that true of the entire book?

    rabbit
    Daniel, Sep 12, 2004

  2. Daniel

    Raja Guest

    I have not used the book you're using, but I definitely
    used Mike's books for my test prep. So, from my
    experience and from the posts of others, I can definitely
    say Mike's books are far better than anything out there.

    Of course, using a single book for all 3 test prep would
    definitely result in cost savings but if you really want
    to go beyond test prep, I would advise you to take a look
    at Mike's books.

    The Amazon links for Mike's books are
    70-305 : http://tinyurl.com/56cmr
    70-306 : http://tinyurl.com/5hapf
    70-310 : http://tinyurl.com/52oav
    Errata : http://www.larkware.com/TGErrata.txt

    - Raja.

    Raja, Sep 14, 2004

  3. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Yea, I think you're right. I've gone ahead and ordered 305 and 306.
    Will hold off on 310 for the moment (I am unemployed, after all <g>).

    Thanks for the input.

    rabbit

    Daniel, Sep 15, 2004