    hard drive? If so, how do you like the performance?

    --
    Spin
    Spin, Mar 9, 2008

  2. Spin

    Cpt.Nemo Guest

    the hd costs more than the lappy

    Cpt.Nemo, Mar 9, 2008

  3. Spin

    Spin Guest

    That wasn't my question.

    Spin, Mar 9, 2008
  4. Spin wrote:

    > That wasn't my question.

    Maybe you could find the answer in your magazine?

    (Do you own the domain name spin.com? If not, you are abusing it,
    causing spam to be sent to the real owner's mail server.)

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 9, 2008
  5. Spin

    Spin Guest

    I do not own the magazine. I choose the name randomly.

    Spin, Mar 9, 2008
  6. Spin

    Mike Easter Guest

    Spin wrote:
    > I do not own the magazine. I choose the name randomly.

    BTS is trying to teach you some net 'orientation' or savvy or
    netiquette.

    Some politeness in usenet is to communicate as well as possible and to
    not be rude or harmful to others.

    When you choose a domainname (the part on the right side of the @ in
    your From) for mungeing your email address, you should choose a
    domainname which is invalid (now or in the future) rather than one that
    belongs to someone else now or in the future. spin.com belongs to
    someone else -- you don't want the usernames there to get the spam you
    are trying to avoid by not using your own address.

    Also, when you reply to a post such as BTS's, you should either properly
    attribute the persona you are replying to and then trim away everything
    you aren't replying and then properly context your reply remark under an
    empty line under the words you are replying. You should do that to help
    us understand what you are thinking about when you are typing your
    words. When you type your words up there on top without putting them
    right under anything, then there is no context for magazine or name to
    help me know what you are talking about.

    http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/nquote.shtml Q1: What is "quoting" in
    newsgroup postings? - Q2: How should I use the quoted text and arrange
    it with my own text?

    http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html How do I quote
    correctly in Usenet? -- 2.1 How much should I quote? - 2.2 What should
    not be quoted? - 2.3 Why should I place my response below the quoted
    text?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 10, 2008
  7. Spin

    Mike Easter Guest

    Oops. I left out the 'or'

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > when you reply [...] you should either...

    .... you should either structure the attribution, with trimming and
    context,

    -or-

    alternatively, you can paraphrase or summarize who said what in your own
    words to provide a context or meaning for what it is that you are
    replying to. Almost everyone finds that properly structuring the -
    attribution - trim - context - works much faster and better; more
    efficiency

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 10, 2008
  8. Spin wrote:

    > I do not own the magazine. I choose the name randomly.

    That's what I thought. You need to change it so the Usenet spam
    harvesting bots don't grab it and send spam to the spin.com server.

    Use: lid for your munge instead. Yes, exactly like
    that.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 10, 2008
  9. Spin wrote:

    > Gurus,
    >
    > Any of you out there have a laptop with a solid-state drive as your main
    > hard drive? If so, how do you like the performance?

    It's anywhere from usable to slightly better than a regular drive. The real
    gain is the reduction in power requirements... thus longer battery life.

    --

    Jerry McBride ()
    Jerry McBride, Mar 10, 2008
  10. Spin

    M.L. Guest

    >> Any of you out there have a laptop with a solid-state drive as your
    >> main hard drive? If so, how do you like the performance?

    > It's anywhere from usable to slightly better than a regular drive.
    > The real gain is the reduction in power requirements... thus longer
    > battery life.

    But don't solid-state drives have fewer lifetime read/write cycles
    (approx 100,000) than a regular hard drive? In a practical sense I don't
    know if the average user will ever hit such limits.
    M.L., Mar 10, 2008