Any MiniDVD/cDVD Players sold here.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Brian Mathews, Dec 4, 2004.

  1. 121 on a DVD Web site listed, but are there any sold here.?

    miniDVD=20 mins DVD on a CDR disk..

    Brian Mathews, Dec 4, 2004

  2. Brian    Mathews

    Legs Guest

    On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 19:20:10 +1300, Brian Mathews
    < wrote:

    >121 on a DVD Web site listed, but are there any sold here.?
    >
    >miniDVD=20 mins DVD on a CDR disk..

    The ones I have seen in the shops are in the close order of 25 to 30
    dollars retail - each

    ouch

    ---------------------------
    Bacon and egg sandwiches -

    A lifetime's commitment for the pig,
    a day's work for the chicken.
    Run of the mill for the bread.

    Legs, Dec 4, 2004

  3. On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 21:36:52 +1300, Legs <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 19:20:10 +1300, Brian Mathews
    >< wrote:
    >

    >>121 on a DVD Web site listed, but are there any sold here.?
    >>
    >>miniDVD=20 mins DVD on a CDR disk..
    >>

    >The ones I have seen in the shops are in the close order of 25 to 30
    >dollars retail - each
    >
    >ouch

    Sorry you do not know what I mean, I am referring to a DVD Player that
    supports miniDVD

    Brian Mathews, Dec 4, 2004
  4. Brian    Mathews

    David Guest

    Legs wrote:
    > On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 19:20:10 +1300, Brian Mathews
    > < wrote:
    >

    >>121 on a DVD Web site listed, but are there any sold here.?
    >>
    >>miniDVD=20 mins DVD on a CDR disk..
    >>

    > The ones I have seen in the shops are in the close order of 25 to 30
    > dollars retail - each
    >
    > ouch
    >

    > ---------------------------
    > Bacon and egg sandwiches -
    >
    > A lifetime's commitment for the pig,
    > a day's work for the chicken.
    > Run of the mill for the bread.

    Cheaper to cut a full-size DVD to size and remember not to burn too much
    data on to it :D

    David, Dec 4, 2004
  5. Brian    Mathews

    Tiddlywink Guest

    "Brian Mathews" <> wrote in message

    > 121 on a DVD Web site listed, but are there any sold here.?
    >
    > miniDVD=20 mins DVD on a CDR disk..

    Listed but not much use:

    http://www.datadog.co.nz/cs/prodView.asp?idproduct=40041

    http://hardware.priceok.co.nz/category/cd_drive/benq/mini_dvd_player_-_silver,3705.html

    Better, well a picture anyway:

    http://www.acquire.co.nz/acquire/default.asp?PageID=ProductDetail&pf_id=345765&dept_id=1300040

    Good old Google, try it you might find it useful.

    Tiddlywink, Dec 4, 2004
  6. > Better, well a picture anyway:

    > http://www.acquire.co.nz/acquire/default.asp?PageID=ProductDetail&pf_id=345765&dept_id=1300040
    > Good old Google, try it you might find it useful.

    You do realise you're dealing with Woger ???

    The person who feels that knowledge of all sometimes a burden !

    Hahahaah.

    If "dickless" could find it under Google, no doubt he could give it the
    "crap, they don't know what they're talkng about because my false
    percieved belief in superiority" badge.

    -=[Waylon Smithers]=-, Dec 4, 2004
  7. On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 00:16:29 +1300, "Tiddlywink" <tbra at hyper dot net dot nz>
    wrote:

    >"Brian Mathews" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> 121 on a DVD Web site listed, but are there any sold here.?
    >>
    >> miniDVD=20 mins DVD on a CDR disk..
    >>

    >Listed but not much use:
    >
    >http://www.datadog.co.nz/cs/prodView.asp?idproduct=40041
    >
    >http://hardware.priceok.co.nz/category/cd_drive/benq/mini_dvd_player_-_silver,3705.html
    >
    >Better, well a picture anyway:
    >
    >http://www.acquire.co.nz/acquire/default.asp?PageID=ProductDetail&pf_id=345765&dept_id=1300040
    >
    >Good old Google, try it you might find it useful.

    None of you know what I am on about its a Standard DVD Player that can play
    miniDVD, this is a CDR CD Recorded as a DVD, gives 20 mins of Video.

    Brian Mathews, Dec 4, 2004
  8. Brian    Mathews

    Richard Guest

    Brian Mathews wrote:

    > None of you know what I am on about its a Standard DVD Player that can play
    > miniDVD, this is a CDR CD Recorded as a DVD, gives 20 mins of Video.

    I can understand the desire to do that when blank dvds were expensive, but now
    the cost is so close to cd-rs, its softof a non-issue since you can just use
    dvd-r media and know its going to work in any player.

    Richard, Dec 4, 2004
  9. On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 08:02:27 +1300, Richard <> wrote:

    >Brian Mathews wrote:
    >
    >> None of you know what I am on about its a Standard DVD Player that can play
    >> miniDVD, this is a CDR CD Recorded as a DVD, gives 20 mins of Video.

    >I can understand the desire to do that when blank dvds were expensive, but now
    >the cost is so close to cd-rs, its softof a non-issue since you can just use
    >dvd-r media and know its going to work in any player.

    Gee were can you get DVD disks for 40c..?

    Brian Mathews, Dec 4, 2004
  10. Brian    Mathews

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 08:02:27 +1300, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    > >Brian Mathews wrote:
    > >
    > >> None of you know what I am on about its a Standard DVD Player that can

    play
    > >> miniDVD, this is a CDR CD Recorded as a DVD, gives 20 mins of Video.

    > >I can understand the desire to do that when blank dvds were expensive,

    but now
    > >the cost is so close to cd-rs, its softof a non-issue since you can just

    use
    > >dvd-r media and know its going to work in any player.

    > Gee were can you get DVD disks for 40c..?

    Since you can get at least 3 time the amount of video on a DVD the cost of a
    DVD shouldn't be a big deal. While you're running round buying 4 CDs to do
    the job of 1 DVD you're hardly saving a damn thing.

    And what fucking good is a lousy 20 minutes of video to you, after all of
    your nonsense about doing 10 hours videos at long play on crap VHS tape?
    Bit of a change for 10 hour Charlie to now only need something that'll do a
    lousy 20 minutes.
    LMAO

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Dec 4, 2004
  11. Brian    Mathews

    Richard Guest

    Brian Mathews wrote:

    >>I can understand the desire to do that when blank dvds were expensive, but now
    >>the cost is so close to cd-rs, its softof a non-issue since you can just use
    >>dvd-r media and know its going to work in any player.

    > Gee were can you get DVD disks for 40c..?

    They are about 60c, and unlike the cheap cd-rs I have not had a problem with the
    princos that are about 60c each... There are also some ok ones at QMB

    Richard, Dec 4, 2004
  12. Brian    Mathews

    Kevin Guest

    > "Brian Mathews" <> wrote in message

    > play
    >> >
    >> >I can understand the desire to do that when blank dvds were expensive,

    > but now
    >> >the cost is so close to cd-rs, its softof a non-issue since you can just

    > use
    >> >dvd-r media and know its going to work in any player.

    >> Gee were can you get DVD disks for 40c..?

    > Since you can get at least 3 time the amount of video on a DVD the cost of
    > DVD shouldn't be a big deal. While you're running round buying 4 CDs to
    > do
    > the job of 1 DVD you're hardly saving a damn thing.
    >
    > And what fucking good is a lousy 20 minutes of video to you, after all of
    > your nonsense about doing 10 hours videos at long play on crap VHS tape?
    > Bit of a change for 10 hour Charlie to now only need something that'll do
    > lousy 20 minutes.
    > LMAO
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Here's a better way if you want to save a buck, make hybrid SVCD disks which
    are far more compatible than miniDVD's. Butcher one of the KVCD templates,
    adjust it for VBR and you can get two hours of good quality (compared with
    VHS) on one 80min CDR or 160 minutes of VHS quality. If quality is more
    important, up the resolution to 528x576 and you can get about 105 minutes on
    the disk, this looks like a DVD on an ordinary TV.

    Kevin

    Kevin, Dec 4, 2004
  13. Brian Mathews said the following on 5/12/2004 2:43 a.m.:
    > On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 00:16:29 +1300, "Tiddlywink" <tbra at hyper dot net dot nz>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Brian Mathews" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>121 on a DVD Web site listed, but are there any sold here.?
    >>>
    >>>miniDVD=20 mins DVD on a CDR disk..
    >>>

    >>Listed but not much use:
    >>
    >>http://www.datadog.co.nz/cs/prodView.asp?idproduct=40041
    >>
    >>http://hardware.priceok.co.nz/category/cd_drive/benq/mini_dvd_player_-_silver,3705.html
    >>
    >>Better, well a picture anyway:
    >>
    >>http://www.acquire.co.nz/acquire/default.asp?PageID=ProductDetail&pf_id=345765&dept_id=1300040
    >>
    >>Good old Google, try it you might find it useful.
    >>

    > None of you know what I am on about its a Standard DVD Player that can play
    > miniDVD, this is a CDR CD Recorded as a DVD, gives 20 mins of Video.

    Dam he is talking about SVCD and VCD both of which are supported by most
    domestic DVD players.

    Hell my old Lennox has been suporting it for at least 4 years.

    Note needless cross posts to other groups have been removed.

    Collector»NZ, Dec 4, 2004
  14. On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 12:42:07 +1300, Collector»NZ <>
    wrote:

    >Brian Mathews said the following on 5/12/2004 2:43 a.m.:
    >> On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 00:16:29 +1300, "Tiddlywink" <tbra at hyper dot net dot nz>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Brian Mathews" <> wrote in message

    >>>Listed but not much use:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.datadog.co.nz/cs/prodView.asp?idproduct=40041
    >>>
    >>>http://hardware.priceok.co.nz/category/cd_drive/benq/mini_dvd_player_-_silver,3705.html
    >>>
    >>>Better, well a picture anyway:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.acquire.co.nz/acquire/default.asp?PageID=ProductDetail&pf_id=345765&dept_id=1300040
    >>>
    >>>Good old Google, try it you might find it useful.
    >>>

    >> None of you know what I am on about its a Standard DVD Player that can play
    >> miniDVD, this is a CDR CD Recorded as a DVD, gives 20 mins of Video.
    >>

    >Dam he is talking about SVCD and VCD both of which are supported by most
    >domestic DVD players.
    >
    >Hell my old Lennox has been suporting it for at least 4 years.

    NO I AM NOT DUMBO.

    Brian Mathews, Dec 5, 2004

  15. >> NO I AM NOT DUMBO.

    >>> Note needless cross posts to other groups have been removed.

    > Play nice now woger, I dont have the Village Idiot around anymore to
    > play with so i am looking for nominations..

    I just figured it was a usual WOger post:

    Ask for help. Then abuse everyone who replies.

    I wonder, was it a life of masturbation that turned him into this dry
    husk of humanity ?

    -=[Waylon Smithers]=-, Dec 5, 2004
  16. On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 14:14:20 +1300, Collector»NZ <>
    wrote:

    >> NO I AM NOT DUMBO.
    >>

    >>>Note needless cross posts to other groups have been removed.

    >Play nice now woger, I dont have the Village Idiot around anymore to
    >play with so i am looking for nominations..
    >
    >http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers...1&Search=Search&country=&orderby=Name&hits=25
    >http://tinyurl.com/6v7nf
    >
    >For a list of players
    >

    > miniDVD is not a real format, but a hack instead that uses standalone
    >DVD players' abilities to play back regular CDs.
    >
    > Basically miniDVD is a regular CD that has the same structure as
    >regular DVD-Video has. Most of the standalone DVD players can be fooled
    >to think that the disc inserted is a regular DVD-Video disc and to play it.
    >
    > Biggest problem with miniDVDs is the fact that DVD movies tend to
    >take appx. 4GBs of space and in CD you can just fit ~700MB of data ->
    >one movie ends up taking 6 or more CDs. Therefor most of the people
    >don't use miniDVDs, but use some other standalone DVD player-compliant
    >formats instead, like VCDs, SVCDs or their varieties.

    I have the same web site, it lists 161 Models and they are NOT SOLD HERE.

    Did you not read my Header..??

    Brian Mathews, Dec 5, 2004