    convert the standard Midi IN/OUT to USB.
    Thanks for any wisdom......er wisdom that is.
    DW

    Dave, Jul 20, 2003

  2. Dave

    T.N.O. Guest

    Dave wrote:

    > My friend wishes to connect his keyboard(Korg) midi to his Presario 8000
    > (Athlon / XP OS). Presario uses AC97, presumably on-board sound, there are
    > ony USB connectors - no games D connector.Appears to be 4 unused bays at
    > rear...presumably PCI slots..
    >
    > Is there any reason not to put in a Soundblaster card, and the creative
    > drivers? (That is what is on my own machine - but it's older and not a
    > Presario, and runs W98.)
    >
    > Or is it a good option to buy a conversion 'cable' ( not much cheaper) to
    > convert the standard Midi IN/OUT to USB.
    > Thanks for any wisdom......er wisdom that is.
    > DW

    All the "musicians" I know use a "real" sound card(usually either a Live
    or Audigy/II), not using a USB adapter.

    Personally I would think that the native way would be a better way, but
    I'm sure that someone more knowledgable will tell me Im wrong.

    T.N.O., Jul 20, 2003

  3. > All the "musicians" I know use a "real" sound card(usually either a Live
    > or Audigy/II), not using a USB adapter.
    >
    > Personally I would think that the native way would be a better way, but
    > I'm sure that someone more knowledgable will tell me Im wrong.

    I find it amusing that you use the word real sound card and a creative product
    in the same sentance!

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Jul 20, 2003
  4. Dave

    T.N.O. Guest

    Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:

    >> All the "musicians" I know use a "real" sound card(usually either a
    >> Live or Audigy/II), not using a USB adapter.
    >>
    >> Personally I would think that the native way would be a better way,
    >> but I'm sure that someone more knowledgable will tell me Im wrong.

    > I find it amusing that you use the word real sound card and a creative
    > product in the same sentance!

    thats why I put "" marks around it... they are better than most, and
    affordable to the majority, so I consider them to be an unhappy medium.

    Also I did say that I know squat about this sort of thing.

    T.N.O., Jul 20, 2003
  5. On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 18:29:02 +1200, "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    >Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:
    >
    >>> All the "musicians" I know use a "real" sound card(usually either a
    >>> Live or Audigy/II), not using a USB adapter.
    >>>
    >>> Personally I would think that the native way would be a better way,
    >>> but I'm sure that someone more knowledgable will tell me Im wrong.

    >> I find it amusing that you use the word real sound card and a creative
    >> product in the same sentance!
    >>

    >thats why I put "" marks around it... they are better than most, and
    >affordable to the majority, so I consider them to be an unhappy medium.
    >
    >Also I did say that I know squat about this sort of thing.

    You can just get by with a SB Live 5.1 OEM but you will have to dnload the
    Asio drivers as that card does not come with them, but it cheap, you will
    also need the Kit Set break out Box that is sold by DSE, that will give you
    the 5 Pin MIDI Din connector..

    The basic Audigy 1 does come with Asio drivers, the Asio drivers or some
    other ones that are on the net are needed to get low 10ms latency, the SB
    Live 5.1 will give you some 300-500 ms delay as it stands.

    These 2 cards have the MIDI in/outs on the Joystick connector, the DSE MIDI
    Kit Set converts this to 5 Pin DIN sockets..

    DSE Kit

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3f1a428b03e9c39e273fc0a87f990725/Product/View/K3604

    Master Tech ©, Jul 20, 2003
  6. Dave

    lily Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message

    > "Richard Malcolm-Smith" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > I find it amusing that you use the word real sound card and a creative

    > product
    > > in the same sentance!

    > Then may I ask kindly for YOUR words of wisdom again if you would like to
    > help.
    >

    > What sound card can you recommend from experience in the sort of machine I
    > outline, and for the purpose of MIDI use? Yes - we are "budget-minded"
    > practical people.
    > DW

    I would go for the USB interface, it can be used on other computers and
    especially laptops.
    Very handy for performers.
    There is no advantage in using an internal soundcard, midi is not critical.

    lily, Jul 20, 2003