Any MCTSs (Web Dev) preparing for 70-547?

Discussion in 'MCTS' started by Iain, Mar 18, 2007.

  1. Iain

    Iain Guest

    Hi,
    Are there any of you out there preparing for exam 70-547?
    The MS Training kit for it has just come out. (My copy is still on order).

    I used the MS Training Kits for 70-536 & 70-528.
    They were ok, but I gota say; years of experience and lots study of MSDN
    (plus a bit of luck) got me through the exams with very high scores.
    I wouldn't recommend solely relying on the training kits.

    But due to the different content/aim of exam 70-547 preparing won't be as
    simple as reading through all the related technical articles on MSDN.
    Have any of you found some good additional recourses to help prepare. ie.
    good books on web design methodology etc?
    Or do any of you have any initial feedback on the MS training kit?

    cheers,
    -Iain
    Iain, Mar 18, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Iain

    Nail Guest

    I would like to recommend to you the following articles from MSDN:

    1. Application Architecture for .NET: Designing Applications and Services
    2. Improving .NET Application Performance and Scalability
    3. .NET Data Access Architecture Guide

    Just use search in MSDN to find that articles.
    Don't forget about new features of ASP.NET 2.0: WebParts, Health Monitoring,
    Encryption in pages, configs, etc.
    Nail, Mar 19, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Iain

    Iain Guest

    Thanks for your input Nail.

    "Nail" wrote:

    > I would like to recommend to you the following articles from MSDN:
    >
    > 1. Application Architecture for .NET: Designing Applications and Services
    > 2. Improving .NET Application Performance and Scalability
    > 3. .NET Data Access Architecture Guide
    >
    > Just use search in MSDN to find that articles.
    > Don't forget about new features of ASP.NET 2.0: WebParts, Health Monitoring,
    > Encryption in pages, configs, etc.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    Iain, Mar 20, 2007
    #3
  4. Iain

    Miguel Guest

    Hi Iain,

    I hope you can help me.

    I am new in certification. Actually I want to get the MCTS and/or MCPD in
    web developer. What is the best way you consider that one should take to be
    prepared for the exams? I used to use VB6. I am familiar with the VB.NET but
    I don't a specialist. So, this is why I want to get a certidication because
    is a great way to learn the entire picture or at least most of the picture of
    ..NET developing.

    I consider myself as a person who get familiar easily with any kind of
    system. Practically, I learn programming by myself. However, as you know,
    employers only believes what they see. So, this is why I consider to get a
    certidication.

    Do you have any idea what is the best or proper way to follow in regard to
    the preparation for the exams? Are the Microsoft courses helpful?

    As your opinion, what language do you think is up in the marketplace? VB or
    C#?

    Thanks for your help in advance


    Miguel

    "Iain" wrote:

    > Thanks for your input Nail.
    >
    > "Nail" wrote:
    >
    > > I would like to recommend to you the following articles from MSDN:
    > >
    > > 1. Application Architecture for .NET: Designing Applications and Services
    > > 2. Improving .NET Application Performance and Scalability
    > > 3. .NET Data Access Architecture Guide
    > >
    > > Just use search in MSDN to find that articles.
    > > Don't forget about new features of ASP.NET 2.0: WebParts, Health Monitoring,
    > > Encryption in pages, configs, etc.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    Miguel, Mar 30, 2007
    #4
  5. Iain

    Iain Guest

    Hey Miguel,

    I’ve been working with .Net for several years, so I used the MS training kit
    and MSDN to re-fresh the subjects on the exam.

    The MCTS is a technical exam; it is recommended you have at least couple of
    year experience developing on .NET to help you get through it. I think it
    would be very tough without having some real world experience developing with
    ..Net.

    The MCPD is a design exam; I could in no way imagine someone getting through
    that without working in the real world in a reasonably senior role.

    My advice would be to hold back on thinking about the certification, and
    really focus on building your skills first. Either through getting some
    real-world experience (I know it's hard to get if you don’t already have
    some), or creating projects for yourself in your own time, and to possibly
    list these on your resume.

    Personally I think certification is a way to help add a bit of "polish" and
    recognition to your experience & skills.
    Having a certification without any experience wouldn't mean that much to me
    if I were looking to employ another developer.

    A heard once the odd analogy of "The psychology who graduate who doesn’t
    know how to make friends..."


    If i were you, I'd start by reading through the following:
    "Programming Microsoft ASP.NET 2.0 Core Reference"
    "Programming Microsoft ASP.NET 2.0 Applications: Advanced Topics"

    You can get them through: http://www.certguard.com/store.asp

    Get through those 2 and you'll have a good amount knowledge behind you.
    Make sure to put it into practice by doing little test projects etc.

    Also more on the design front, there is book called:
    "OOP with Microsoft Visual Basic .NET and Microsoft Visual C# .NET" That I
    found very good years ago, its probably out of print now,
    but if you can grab a second hand copy, it's goes through the basics of oo
    design quite well. Though it is focused on .Net 1.1

    I like learning from books, If that’s not your thing ask around about the
    e-learning course to see what people who have taken them think.


    Hope this helps you in some way.
    Iain, Mar 30, 2007
    #5
  6. Iain

    Miguel Guest

    Thank you so much for your response. You were very helpful. Just a couple of
    questions.

    1. To your opinion, which programming language you think is better in the
    marketplace? VB or C#?

    2. Did you hear about the Master's Program for .NET developers that is being
    offered by SetFocus? I have been accepted to take that program, but I would
    like to hear the comments of others.

    Thanks

    Miguel

    "Iain" wrote:

    > Hey Miguel,
    >
    > I’ve been working with .Net for several years, so I used the MS training kit
    > and MSDN to re-fresh the subjects on the exam.
    >
    > The MCTS is a technical exam; it is recommended you have at least couple of
    > year experience developing on .NET to help you get through it. I think it
    > would be very tough without having some real world experience developing with
    > .Net.
    >
    > The MCPD is a design exam; I could in no way imagine someone getting through
    > that without working in the real world in a reasonably senior role.
    >
    > My advice would be to hold back on thinking about the certification, and
    > really focus on building your skills first. Either through getting some
    > real-world experience (I know it's hard to get if you don’t already have
    > some), or creating projects for yourself in your own time, and to possibly
    > list these on your resume.
    >
    > Personally I think certification is a way to help add a bit of "polish" and
    > recognition to your experience & skills.
    > Having a certification without any experience wouldn't mean that much to me
    > if I were looking to employ another developer.
    >
    > A heard once the odd analogy of "The psychology who graduate who doesn’t
    > know how to make friends..."
    >
    >
    > If i were you, I'd start by reading through the following:
    > "Programming Microsoft ASP.NET 2.0 Core Reference"
    > "Programming Microsoft ASP.NET 2.0 Applications: Advanced Topics"
    >
    > You can get them through: http://www.certguard.com/store.asp
    >
    > Get through those 2 and you'll have a good amount knowledge behind you.
    > Make sure to put it into practice by doing little test projects etc.
    >
    > Also more on the design front, there is book called:
    > "OOP with Microsoft Visual Basic .NET and Microsoft Visual C# .NET" That I
    > found very good years ago, its probably out of print now,
    > but if you can grab a second hand copy, it's goes through the basics of oo
    > design quite well. Though it is focused on .Net 1.1
    >
    > I like learning from books, If that’s not your thing ask around about the
    > e-learning course to see what people who have taken them think.
    >
    >
    > Hope this helps you in some way.
    >
    Miguel, Mar 30, 2007
    #6
  7. Iain

    Iain Guest

    Glad it was of some help.

    Re: VB or C# in the market?

    Take a look at job ads on the net and see what their asking for.
    Most usually specify what langauge they require a developer to know, which
    indicates what their software is written in.

    Though it is a really good idea to know both, or at least be competent in
    your non preferred of the two.

    eg.
    My company writes all new software in C#, but we have a few older apps that
    we still maintain that were developed in VB.net.
    So knowledge of both is a good thing. (But yes, in our case we would prefer
    C# knowledge over only VB.)


    To start with; focus on one (if you’ve done Java before start with C#, if
    you’re from a VB background then VB.net will likley be easier),
    then once you’ve got a good handle on that,
    try doing the tasks you can do in that language in the second language.

    You will have to Google up the difference in the keywords etc, but seeing as
    it's all using the same framework it shouldn't take long to adapt to using
    another language.


    Re: Masters course...
    I haven’t heard of it or done it so can’t really comment.

    Cheers,
    -Iain
    Iain, Mar 30, 2007
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. CCThai
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    610
    Saqib
    Nov 22, 2006
  2. frederik
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    668
    frederik
    Nov 8, 2006
  3. Giuen
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    834
    Giuen
    Sep 12, 2008
  4. Kenzie delaTorre
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    411
    Kenzie delaTorre
    Feb 13, 2004
  5. George
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    316
    George
    Jun 8, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page