    The VueScan NG is dead...

    Any useful experience on scanning negatives among folks in this NG?

    Wally

    Wally, Jun 29, 2011

  2. In article <>, Wally
    <> writes
    >The VueScan NG is dead...
    >
    >Any useful experience on scanning negatives among folks in this NG?

    Try comp.periphs.scanners Its quiet, but people do still lurk there and
    occasionally a dialog starts up - sometimes on Vuescan. Haven't used it
    in years and don't know if Ed is still developing/supporting it.
    --
    Kennedy

    Kennedy McEwen, Jun 29, 2011

  3. Wally

    Wally Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 16:46:56 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >On 2011-06-29 16:10 , Wally wrote:
    >> The VueScan NG is dead...
    >>
    >> Any useful experience on scanning negatives among folks in this NG?

    >If you need a basic primer on scanning, try scantips.com
    >
    >What's your issue?

    I'll have a look at scantips.com.

    Scanning in full auto mode with VueScan gives decent scans. Scanning
    with the "more" button pressed, and following the Advanced
    instructions from Hamrick's site and other sites, gives haphazard
    results -- sometimes great, sometimes really terrible, like deep green
    shadows, or washed out contrast.

    Many of the instructions are IMHO very badly written. They are
    ambiguous, so that different persons with different assumptions
    probably go about things differently -- and there is no advice on what
    to do if results are other than expected.

    For instance, info on how to set the neg base exposure can be found in
    3 web sites (at least), and after reading and rereading each, I still
    am not sure on how to follow any of them.

    Wally

    Wally, Jun 29, 2011
  4. Wally

    Wally Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 21:59:24 +0100, Kennedy McEwen
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, Wally
    ><> writes
    >>The VueScan NG is dead...
    >>
    >>Any useful experience on scanning negatives among folks in this NG?
    >>

    >Try comp.periphs.scanners Its quiet, but people do still lurk there and
    >occasionally a dialog starts up - sometimes on Vuescan.

    No posts this year in comp.periphs.scanner, nor in
    alt.comp.periphs.scanners, and just 4 in alt.comp.periphs.scanner.

    Mebbe worth a try...

    Wally

    Wally, Jun 29, 2011
  5. Wally

    Wally Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 18:00:50 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    > From the Vuescan site, there is a link to this book:
    >
    >http://www.rockynook.com/books/162.html
    >
    >At $35 more than I'd like to spend - but it may be a good investment
    >over time.

    Interesting, and wouldn't mind a look, but it seems there's only 2 pgs
    devoted to scanning color negs (from the table of contents).

    Wally, Jun 29, 2011
  6. Wally

    Wally Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 17:41:34 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >Otherwise take one slide or negative and work the advanced controls and
    >make observations. It will take a while but you should stumble on the
    >right recipe and from there you can refine it.

    That's what I do. I get different results each time. After several
    tries and much adjusting of the RBG settings and Black and White Point
    controls, there will be a satisfactory result. Phew... I save that
    one.

    OK, that's for frame 1 of a 36-exp roll. Now for frame 2. The white
    point differs from frame 1. Adjusting that changes the color balance
    of the whole shot. Diddling with the controls finally gets me a
    satisfactory scan for 2.

    That's two good scans. But #2 differs a bit in character from frame 1.
    Should I go back to 1 and try to get it to match?

    No, never mind. I'm on to frame 3 now. Same issues with that one...
    and so on it goes...

    From the VueScan manual and sources on the Web, it should be possible
    to scan a whole roll with one set of settings, but I've never been
    able to figure out how to do that. As an example, the colors change
    when adjusting the crop, even when Color Balance is set to Manual.

    Wally, Jun 29, 2011
  7. In article <>, Wally
    <> writes
    >On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 21:59:24 +0100, Kennedy McEwen
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, Wally
    >><> writes
    >>>The VueScan NG is dead...
    >>>
    >>>Any useful experience on scanning negatives among folks in this NG?
    >>>

    >>Try comp.periphs.scanners Its quiet, but people do still lurk there and
    >>occasionally a dialog starts up - sometimes on Vuescan.

    >No posts this year in comp.periphs.scanner,

    ....but about 50 in comp.periphs.scanners in that time.
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.periphs.scanners/topics?lnk

    Some 28500 posts referencing Vuescan and that was the group that Ed
    himself subscribed to until about 5 or 6 years ago.

    >alt.comp.periphs.scanners, and just 4 in alt.comp.periphs.scanner

    Those groups died years earlier. c.p.s was the last one going.
    --
    Kennedy

    Kennedy McEwen, Jun 30, 2011
  8. In article <>, Alan Browne
    <> writes
    >On 2011-06-29 16:59 , Kennedy McEwen wrote:
    >> In article <>, Wally
    >> <> writes
    >>> The VueScan NG is dead...
    >>>
    >>> Any useful experience on scanning negatives among folks in this NG?
    >>>

    >> Try comp.periphs.scanners Its quiet, but people do still lurk there and
    >> occasionally a dialog starts up - sometimes on Vuescan. Haven't used it
    >> in years and don't know if Ed is still developing/supporting it.

    >He still supports it. I can't imagine his sales are very high anymore
    >so I expect my unlimited updates will come to an end for one reason or
    >another.

    Biggest problem with Vuescan was, in the time I tried using it, was that
    it was an ongoing bug fix - every issue subtly changed the operation of
    most functions. No surprise that Wally is finding it still doesn't
    behave as the manual suggests it should - it rarely ever did! However,
    at least it still runs on a recent OS, which the Nikon software doesn't
    - at least not natively.
    --
    Kennedy

    Kennedy McEwen, Jun 30, 2011
  9. Wally

    <> wrote:

    >On 2011-06-29 17:06 , Wally wrote:
    >> On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 16:46:56 -0400, Alan Browne
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> If you need a basic primer on scanning, try scantips.com
    >>>
    >>> What's your issue?

    >> I'll have a look at scantips.com.
    >>
    >> Scanning in full auto mode with VueScan gives decent scans. Scanning
    >> with the "more" button pressed, and following the Advanced
    >> instructions from Hamrick's site and other sites, gives haphazard
    >> results -- sometimes great, sometimes really terrible, like deep green
    >> shadows, or washed out contrast.
    >>
    >> Many of the instructions are IMHO very badly written. They are
    >> ambiguous, so that different persons with different assumptions
    >> probably go about things differently -- and there is no advice on what
    >> to do if results are other than expected.
    >>
    >> For instance, info on how to set the neg base exposure can be found in
    >> 3 web sites (at least), and after reading and rereading each, I still
    >> am not sure on how to follow any of them.

    > From the Vuescan site, there is a link to this book:
    >
    >http://www.rockynook.com/books/162.html
    >
    >At $35 more than I'd like to spend - but it may be a good investment
    >over time.

    I've managed to have a look at this book. There is excellent coverage
    of basics such as color management, resolution, and other such stuff,
    plus exotica such as creating your own negative film color profile
    (assuming you're willing to buy an IT8 color target and shoot a roll
    of film with it).

    But there is precious little on the special problems of scanning
    negatives. There's just two pages on this subject (the second page
    being illustrations only), plus later in the book there is cursory
    coverage of locking the film base color.

    Just in case anyone was wondering...

    Wally, Jul 8, 2011