any ideas?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Keith Chilton, Feb 11, 2007.

  1. I have a PC i worked on friday that had the following setup

    Xp pro which is joined to the domain

    2 accounts on it both of which were administrators for convenience

    I changed the domain account for the user on this pc from administrator to
    "user"

    Upon doing so, the administrator account for myself became locked out

    I can no longer install programs and only do things a "user" account can
    do. this is obviously a problem on this pc if we need to install additional
    software on the PC.

    Does anyone have any ideas how to unlock the administrator account? Changing
    user accounts from administrator to ones that are less priviliged is
    becoming a major inconvenience as of late. I know the security benefits are
    much better but if this is going to keep happening i dont know whether i
    want to take the risk in continuing to do it. Luckily, that tool i found
    from Michael on PCs not joined to domain has saved me several times now and
    allowed me to unlock the admin accounts. Unfortunately, this tool can't be
    used on PCs joined to the domain. I dont know why the other administrator
    accounts keep getting locked when i am changing this, but it's irritating.
    Does anyone have any helpful tips on how to make this smoother for me as I
    continue to do this for the rest of my PCs at my company?

    Thanks

    --
    Keith Chilton, MCP
    Data Services Technician

    messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Opinions, conclusions
    and other information expressed in this message are not given or endorsed by
    my firm or employer unless otherwise indicated by an authorized
    representative independent of this message.

    Keith Chilton, Feb 11, 2007

  2. well .....

    I'm not sure... I have never done it that way before so...

    I changed the user's domain account on the pc to be an administrator to see
    if i could unlock the local admin account that way. I may end up deleting
    the local admin accounts like you say and add domain admin accounts to
    them...

    Thanks Jonathan

    Keith Chilton, Feb 11, 2007