any ideas what would cause this sphere in these photos?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Simon, Nov 27, 2003.

  1. Simon

    Simon Guest

    Hi folks,

    Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I want some help with 2 photos
    to see what might cause this affect.

    On each of these photos there is a blue and white sphere and I'd like to
    know if anyone knows what might cause it. This person took loads of
    photos but it's only on these 2 photos that this sphere has appeared.

    In a section of my site people send me photos of strange things and I'm
    not sure what caused it. Both photos sent to me are poor quality so
    apologies in advance.

    http://www.simonday.com/pic1.jpg
    http://www.simonday.com/pic2.jpg
    --

    Simon Day
    Free desktop wallpapers of Torbay at: http://www.simonday.com

    Simon, Nov 27, 2003

  2. Simon

    Birk Binnard Guest

    It looks like the sphere is in the same place on both images, but is a
    different size in each picture. This suggests to me it was a water drop on
    the outside of a zoom lens.
    ---------------
    Birk Binnard
    Peninsula Software
    http://www.birkbinnard.com

    Birk Binnard, Nov 27, 2003

  3. Simon <> writes:

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I want some help with 2 photos
    > to see what might cause this affect.
    >SNIP<

    They're aliens, Simon. See the thread on hail to read all about it.

    Phil Stripling, Nov 27, 2003
  4. Simon

    Mark Herring Guest

    On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:22:12 -0800, "Birk Binnard"
    <> wrote:

    >It looks like the sphere is in the same place on both images, but is a
    >different size in each picture. This suggests to me it was a water drop on
    >the outside of a zoom lens.
    >---------------
    >Birk Binnard
    >Peninsula Software
    >http://www.birkbinnard.com

    Nope---NOT in the same place

    But I agree that they look like water drops. dust on the CCD would
    not look like that
    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

    Mark Herring, Nov 27, 2003
  5. Simon

    PETERWOJ Guest

    Seems you have dirty lens (inside or outside ). BTW looks like you have few hot
    pixels as well.

    PETERWOJ, Nov 27, 2003
  6. "Simon" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I want some help with 2 photos
    > to see what might cause this affect.
    >
    > On each of these photos there is a blue and white sphere and I'd like to
    > know if anyone knows what might cause it. This person took loads of
    > photos but it's only on these 2 photos that this sphere has appeared.

    I remember being as dumbfounded about a year ago when I got my first digital
    camera. The spheres are caused by particles in the air (smoke, fog, water,
    dust, pollen) reflecting the flash.

    Juan

    Juan R. Pollo, Nov 27, 2003
  7. Simon

    Crownfield Guest

    Mark Herring wrote:

    > On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:22:12 -0800, "Birk Binnard"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >It looks like the sphere is in the same place on both images, but is a
    > >different size in each picture. This suggests to me it was a water drop on
    > >the outside of a zoom lens.
    > >---------------
    > >Birk Binnard
    > >Peninsula Software
    > >http://www.birkbinnard.com
    > >

    > Nope---NOT in the same place
    >
    > But I agree that they look like water drops. dust on the CCD would
    > not look like that

    interesting,
    they are not in exactly the same position in each shot.

    there seem to be other blurred out of focus spots.

    Crownfield, Nov 27, 2003
  8. Simon

    Crownfield Guest

    Juan R. Pollo wrote:

    > "Simon" <> wrote in message news:...
    > > Hi folks,
    > >
    > > Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I want some help with 2 photos
    > > to see what might cause this affect.
    > >
    > > On each of these photos there is a blue and white sphere and I'd like to
    > > know if anyone knows what might cause it. This person took loads of
    > > photos but it's only on these 2 photos that this sphere has appeared.
    > >

    > I remember being as dumbfounded about a year ago when I got my first digital
    > camera. The spheres are caused by particles in the air (smoke, fog, water,
    > dust, pollen) reflecting the flash.

    why would digital do it and not film?

    Crownfield, Nov 27, 2003
  9. Simon

    Mister Max Guest

    Crownfield <> posted:

    > Juan R. Pollo wrote:
    >>
    >> "Simon" <> wrote in message
    >> > Hi folks,
    >> >
    >> > Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I want some help with 2
    >> > photos to see what might cause this affect.
    >> >
    >> > On each of these photos there is a blue and white sphere and I'd
    >> > like to know if anyone knows what might cause it. This person took
    >> > loads of photos but it's only on these 2 photos that this sphere
    >> > has appeared.
    >> >

    >> I remember being as dumbfounded about a year ago when I got my first
    >> digital camera. The spheres are caused by particles in the air
    >> (smoke, fog, water, dust, pollen) reflecting the flash.

    > why would digital do it and not film?
    >

    >> Juan

    Because the flash is closer to the lens on a small digital camera.
    - Max

    --
    MisterMax
    Slideshows of Angkor Wat, Bali, Crete, France, Malaysia, Maui, Morocco,

    Mister Max, Nov 27, 2003
  10. Simon

    K2 Guest

    On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 01:04:29 +0000 (UTC), Simon <> wrote:

    >Hi folks,
    >
    >Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I want some help with 2 photos
    >to see what might cause this affect.
    >
    >On each of these photos there is a blue and white sphere and I'd like to
    >know if anyone knows what might cause it. This person took loads of
    >photos but it's only on these 2 photos that this sphere has appeared.
    >
    >In a section of my site people send me photos of strange things and I'm
    >not sure what caused it. Both photos sent to me are poor quality so
    >apologies in advance.
    >
    >http://www.simonday.com/pic1.jpg

    Send that first one to www.coasttocoastam.com right away! The
    ghostlike form in the lower right is scary. Actually, it looks to have
    been taken with a film camera and heat or something damaged the print
    or negative. Or they added digital junk after scanning it?

    >http://www.simonday.com/pic2.jpg

    Looking at that second shot, which required a lot of brightening on my
    monitor, it's in roughly the same spot as the anomaly in pic1.jpg.
    Something might be defective in the camera-back, marring the film.

    K2

    K2, Nov 29, 2003
  11. Simon

    K2 Guest

    On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 16:28:10 GMT, "Juan R. Pollo"
    <> wrote:

    >"Simon" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> Hi folks,
    >>
    >> Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I want some help with 2 photos
    >> to see what might cause this affect.
    >>
    >> On each of these photos there is a blue and white sphere and I'd like to
    >> know if anyone knows what might cause it. This person took loads of
    >> photos but it's only on these 2 photos that this sphere has appeared.
    >>

    >I remember being as dumbfounded about a year ago when I got my first digital
    >camera. The spheres are caused by particles in the air (smoke, fog, water,
    >dust, pollen) reflecting the flash.

    I don't think those were taken with a digital camera. They have the
    hallmarks of corrupted film negatives or prints. The non-uniform
    specks are a giveaway. Hot pixels aren't that ragged and dust on a
    digital sensor makes for dark spots, not light. There is some evidence
    of film grain, too.

    K2

    K2, Nov 29, 2003
  12. Simon

    K2 Guest

    <> wrote:

    >It looks like the sphere is in the same place on both images, but is a
    >different size in each picture. This suggests to me it was a water drop on
    >the outside of a zoom lens.

    If you want to get Rorschachian, it looks to me like the ghostly shape
    of a skirted pellet fired at medium velocity against a hard steel
    plate.

    K2

    K2, Nov 29, 2003
  13. Simon

    Ron Hunter Guest

    K2 wrote:

    > On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 01:04:29 +0000 (UTC), Simon <> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi folks,
    >>
    >>Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I want some help with 2 photos
    >>to see what might cause this affect.
    >>
    >>On each of these photos there is a blue and white sphere and I'd like to
    >>know if anyone knows what might cause it. This person took loads of
    >>photos but it's only on these 2 photos that this sphere has appeared.
    >>
    >>In a section of my site people send me photos of strange things and I'm
    >>not sure what caused it. Both photos sent to me are poor quality so
    >>apologies in advance.
    >>
    >>http://www.simonday.com/pic1.jpg

    > Send that first one to www.coasttocoastam.com right away! The
    > ghostlike form in the lower right is scary. Actually, it looks to have
    > been taken with a film camera and heat or something damaged the print
    > or negative. Or they added digital junk after scanning it?
    >

    >>http://www.simonday.com/pic2.jpg

    > Looking at that second shot, which required a lot of brightening on my
    > monitor, it's in roughly the same spot as the anomaly in pic1.jpg.
    > Something might be defective in the camera-back, marring the film.
    >
    > K2

    Looks like dried water spot on lens to me.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 29, 2003
  14. Simon

    Larry Lynch Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Looks like dried water spot on lens to me.

    I have several DOZEN photos with the same kind of "spheres".. They all
    were taken during/after a thunderstorm.

    Seems a few droplets had hit the lens and dried, leaving behind a
    watermark.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Lasting Imagery

    Larry Lynch, Nov 29, 2003
  15. Simon

    K2 Guest

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 04:34:03 -0600, Ron Hunter <>
    wrote:

    >> Looking at that second shot, which required a lot of brightening on my
    >> monitor, it's in roughly the same spot as the anomaly in pic1.jpg.
    >> Something might be defective in the camera-back, marring the film.
    >>
    >> K2

    >Looks like dried water spot on lens to me.

    You mean on the lens filter glass? If it was right on the lens surface
    it wouldn't have that much detail, and would probably just appear as a
    hazy area.

    K2

    K2, Nov 29, 2003
  16. Simon

    Donald Gray Guest

    On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 16:03:37 -0600, Mister Max
    <> wrote:

    >Crownfield <> posted:
    >
    >> Juan R. Pollo wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Simon" <> wrote in message

    >>> I remember being as dumbfounded about a year ago when I got my first
    >>> digital camera. The spheres are caused by particles in the air
    >>> (smoke, fog, water, dust, pollen) reflecting the flash.

    >> why would digital do it and not film?
    >>

    >>> Juan

    >Because the flash is closer to the lens on a small digital camera.
    >- Max

    In that, why have I never experienced this with my Canon EOS5 film
    camera using the built in speed flash? It is at a very similar offset
    to a digicam (or at least ny Nikon 5700)
    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk

    Donald Gray, Nov 29, 2003
  17. Simon

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Crownfield wrote:

    > interesting,
    > they are not in exactly the same position in each shot.
    > there seem to be other blurred out of focus spots.

    Looks like a photo taken with a catadioptric lens out
    of collimation.

    Paolo Pizzi, Nov 30, 2003
  18. "Paolo Pizzi" <> wrote in message
    > Crownfield wrote:
    >
    > > interesting,
    > > they are not in exactly the same position in each shot.
    > > there seem to be other blurred out of focus spots.

    > Looks like a photo taken with a catadioptric lens out
    > of collimation.

    OK, you guys wanna get technical, this is what they really are

    "Ever since crop circles have appeared, anomalous light effects, allegedly
    related to the crop circle phenomenon, have been reported by many eye
    witnesses. The vast number of accounts, plus an abundant amount of
    photographic and in particular video material seem to prove the existence of
    crop-circle related ‘Balls of Light’, known as BOLs, sometimes simply
    referred to as light orbs, or - for reasons unclear to the author - plasma
    balls."

    Read the whole story at http://www.dcccs.org/blanke4.htm

    Juan

    Juan R. Pollo, Dec 2, 2003