Any ideas on different file sizes showing of the same file on two different systems?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Joe, Jan 10, 2005.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Hello

    I've just uploaded a file to a server, the actual file was uploaded as a
    standard folder from XP to a linux server. My question is this:

    When I checked the file size of the uploaded file on the server and compared
    it to the file size of the file on my computer here at home running windows
    xp the size was different. I was using Ipswich FTP professional and it did
    not show any error messages, the difference is only a few hundred kb but
    after trying it twice I am wondering if there is some logical explanation
    for this.

    Is there some reason that perhaps due to a different file system this takes
    up more or less space?

    Any advice or pointers and if this is posted in the wrong ng, then please
    excuse me and I'll try and find another ng.

    Thanks in Advance
    Joe, Jan 10, 2005

  2. Joe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote in message
    | Hello
    |
    | I've just uploaded a file to a server, the actual file was uploaded as a
    | standard folder from XP to a linux server. My question is this:
    |
    | When I checked the file size of the uploaded file on the server and
    compared
    | it to the file size of the file on my computer here at home running
    windows
    | xp the size was different. I was using Ipswich FTP professional and it did
    | not show any error messages, the difference is only a few hundred kb but
    | after trying it twice I am wondering if there is some logical explanation
    | for this.
    |
    | Is there some reason that perhaps due to a different file system this
    takes
    | up more or less space?
    |
    | Any advice or pointers and if this is posted in the wrong ng, then please
    | excuse me and I'll try and find another ng.

    No problem - it's a good question, and the people in this newsgroup will
    probably have an intelligent answer for you soon. As for me, I'm watching
    Green Bay lose, and I really don't like it. So just ignore me while I go
    away and pout.

    Just kidding! What operating system are you using? I know that file size and
    actual disk space used are always different. The OS allocates disk space in
    chunks (non-technical term...hee hee...) and even a tiny file still takes up
    that whole chunk. For example, a shortcut on my desktop is physically 95
    bytes, but 'uses' 4096 bytes of HD space.
    Toolman Tim, Jan 10, 2005

  3. Joe

    Joe Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > "Joe" <> wrote in message
    > | Hello
    > |
    > | I've just uploaded a file to a server, the actual file was uploaded as a
    > | standard folder from XP to a linux server. My question is this:
    > |
    > | When I checked the file size of the uploaded file on the server and
    > compared
    > | it to the file size of the file on my computer here at home running
    > windows
    > | xp the size was different. I was using Ipswich FTP professional and it
    > did
    > | not show any error messages, the difference is only a few hundred kb but
    > | after trying it twice I am wondering if there is some logical
    > explanation
    > | for this.
    > |
    > | Is there some reason that perhaps due to a different file system this
    > takes
    > | up more or less space?
    > |
    > | Any advice or pointers and if this is posted in the wrong ng, then
    > please
    > | excuse me and I'll try and find another ng.
    > |
    > No problem - it's a good question, and the people in this newsgroup will
    > probably have an intelligent answer for you soon. As for me, I'm watching
    > Green Bay lose, and I really don't like it. So just ignore me while I go
    > away and pout.

    LOL I hope your days not going to be ruined!

    > Just kidding! What operating system are you using? I know that file size
    > and
    > actual disk space used are always different.

    The operating system is Windows XP SP2, and I'm uploading to a linux server.
    The reason I'm asking is not just out of curiosity, of course I would like
    to know, but this is the second time I've uploaded the file and I am trying
    to find out how I can tell if the file upload was successful between my
    computer and the servere. Hope it makes sense in my "non technical speak" :)

    The OS allocates disk space in chunks (non-technical term...hee hee...) and
    even a tiny file still takes up
    > that whole chunk. For example, a shortcut on my desktop is physically 95
    > bytes, but 'uses' 4096 bytes of HD space.

    Thanks very much. So I think I am right in understanding that the "file
    size" may not be the same as the "disc space" taken up, now I presume that
    as a server is exactly the same thing as a home computer (physically
    speaking) that this same logic would apply.

    So I need to find out the exact reading for the file size/disc space usage,
    however at the moment the file on my system gives two readings, previously
    the two readings have matched. So I am wondering if I just need to perhaps
    get some support from the FTP program, maybe there is some facility on it
    that can say if the file upload was successful or not.

    Thanks again for your input and I hope your game goes well :)

    Joe, Jan 10, 2005
  4. Joe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote in message

    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | >
    | > "Joe" <> wrote in message
    | > | Hello
    | > |
    | > | I've just uploaded a file to a server, the actual file was uploaded as
    | > | standard folder from XP to a linux server. My question is this:
    | > |
    | > | When I checked the file size of the uploaded file on the server and
    | > compared
    | > | it to the file size of the file on my computer here at home running
    | > windows
    | > | xp the size was different. I was using Ipswich FTP professional and it
    | > did
    | > | not show any error messages, the difference is only a few hundred kb
    but
    | > | after trying it twice I am wondering if there is some logical
    | > explanation
    | > | for this.
    | > |
    | > | Is there some reason that perhaps due to a different file system this
    | > takes
    | > | up more or less space?
    | > |
    | > | Any advice or pointers and if this is posted in the wrong ng, then
    | > please
    | > | excuse me and I'll try and find another ng.
    | > |
    | > No problem - it's a good question, and the people in this newsgroup will
    | > probably have an intelligent answer for you soon. As for me, I'm
    watching
    | > Green Bay lose, and I really don't like it. So just ignore me while I go
    | > away and pout.
    |
    | LOL I hope your days not going to be ruined!
    | >
    | > Just kidding! What operating system are you using? I know that file size
    | > and
    | > actual disk space used are always different.
    |
    | The operating system is Windows XP SP2, and I'm uploading to a linux
    server.
    | The reason I'm asking is not just out of curiosity, of course I would like
    | to know, but this is the second time I've uploaded the file and I am
    trying
    | to find out how I can tell if the file upload was successful between my
    | computer and the servere. Hope it makes sense in my "non technical speak"
    :)

    | The OS allocates disk space in chunks (non-technical term...hee hee...)
    and
    | even a tiny file still takes up
    | > that whole chunk. For example, a shortcut on my desktop is physically 95
    | > bytes, but 'uses' 4096 bytes of HD space.
    |
    | Thanks very much. So I think I am right in understanding that the "file
    | size" may not be the same as the "disc space" taken up, now I presume that
    | as a server is exactly the same thing as a home computer (physically
    | speaking) that this same logic would apply.
    |
    | So I need to find out the exact reading for the file size/disc space
    usage,
    | however at the moment the file on my system gives two readings, previously
    | the two readings have matched. So I am wondering if I just need to perhaps
    | get some support from the FTP program, maybe there is some facility on it
    | that can say if the file upload was successful or not.
    |
    | Thanks again for your input and I hope your game goes well :)

    When I transfer files over a VPN, I get a confirmation 'receipt' document
    filed on the server. Maybe your FTP transfer program does the same? I
    actually don't use this - I set it up one time for an automated system at
    work - so I don't remember the details of what is in the receipt.
    Toolman Tim, Jan 10, 2005
  5. Joe

    > When I transfer files over a VPN, I get a confirmation 'receipt' document
    > filed on the server. Maybe your FTP transfer program does the same? I
    > actually don't use this - I set it up one time for an automated system at
    > work - so I don't remember the details of what is in the receipt.

    That sounds like a really good system. I think maybe I should try
    reinstalling my application (ftp program), or contact them
    to find out if there is such thing as a receipt or confirmation code or
    something else to suggest that the file was delivered correctly.

    Joe, Jan 10, 2005