    any ideas? Could I just delete the files?

    Thanks in advance,

    Denise

    Denise, Jan 24, 2004

  2. Denise

    ñKs Guest

    Yes you can, but if you get the cd set and have to run it again, guess
    what...

    "Denise" <> wrote in message
    > I just bought a new HP, which didn't come with recovery disks, but a
    > recovery partition. I requested a set of recovery disks be sent to me, so
    > now I have part of my hard drive partitioned off for something I don't

    need.
    > The manual that came with the PC says the recovery partition can be

    removed
    > with a simple tool, but it doesn't say what the tool is or anything.

    So...

    ñKs, Jan 24, 2004

  3. Denise

    L.C.Wooldrik Guest

    yess you can without trouble delete charles

    L.C.Wooldrik, Jan 24, 2004
  4. Denise

    Graham Guest

    "Denise" <> wrote in message
    > I just bought a new HP, which didn't come with recovery disks, but a
    > recovery partition. I requested a set of recovery disks be sent to me, so
    > now I have part of my hard drive partitioned off for something I don't

    need.
    > The manual that came with the PC says the recovery partition can be

    removed
    > with a simple tool, but it doesn't say what the tool is or anything.

    So...
    > any ideas? Could I just delete the files?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Denise

    PartitionMagic Pro

    Graham, Jan 24, 2004
  5. Denise

    Graham Guest

    "Graham" <> wrote in message

    > "Denise" <> wrote in message
    > > I just bought a new HP, which didn't come with recovery disks, but a
    > > recovery partition. I requested a set of recovery disks be sent to me,

    so
    > > now I have part of my hard drive partitioned off for something I don't

    > need.
    > > The manual that came with the PC says the recovery partition can be

    > removed
    > > with a simple tool, but it doesn't say what the tool is or anything.

    > So...
    > > any ideas? Could I just delete the files?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > >
    > > Denise
    > >

    > PartitionMagic Pro

    haha sorry Im turning into a tekkie now. The name of the program that will
    enable you to delete a whole partition is "Partition Magic Pro"
    (http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/) - This is not recommended by HP
    or anything - Just a straight up program intended for that purpose.

    Graham, Jan 24, 2004
  6. Denise

    RDS Guest

    "Denise" <> wrote in message
    I just bought a new HP, which didn't come with recovery disks, but a
    recovery partition. I requested a set of recovery disks be sent to me, so
    now I have part of my hard drive partitioned off for something I don't need.
    The manual that came with the PC says the recovery partition can be removed
    with a simple tool, but it doesn't say what the tool is or anything. So...
    any ideas? Could I just delete the files?

    Thanks in advance,

    Denise

    As some mentioned Partition Magic can do it but if you are running an NT OS
    you can right click on My Computer and then click on Manage. From there
    click on Disk Management and right click on the blue bar on the partition
    you want to work with. This will give you several options which may or may
    not be what you want but is much cheaper than purchasing PM.

    Roger

    RDS, Jan 24, 2004
  7. Denise

    gtg Guest

    "Denise" <> wrote in message
    > I just bought a new HP, which didn't come with recovery disks, but a
    > recovery partition. I requested a set of recovery disks be sent to me, so
    > now I have part of my hard drive partitioned off for something I don't

    need.
    > The manual that came with the PC says the recovery partition can be

    removed
    > with a simple tool, but it doesn't say what the tool is or anything.

    So...
    > any ideas?

    its called FDISK

    gtg, Jan 24, 2004
  8. Denise

    Denise Guest

    "RDS" wrote:
    > As some mentioned Partition Magic can do it but if you are running an NT

    OS you can right click on My Computer and then click on Manage. From there
    click on Disk Management and right click on the blue bar on the partition
    you want to work with. This will give you several options which may or may
    not be what you want but is much cheaper than purchasing PM.

    Thank you all for your replies; I am looking into all the suggestions, but I
    have a question about this particular one. It gives me several options, as
    you said it would. But in looking around on the disk management dialog, I
    noticed that the recovery partition has a different file system than the
    other partition; the recovery section is FAT32 and the rest of the drive is
    NTFS. So if I were to choose this option, would I need to Format the
    partition, or just delete it altogether?

    Bumbling around and not ashamed to admit it (though I probably should be),

    Denise

    Denise, Jan 25, 2004
  9. Denise

    Graham Guest

    "RDS" <> wrote in message

    > "Denise" <> wrote in message
    > I just bought a new HP, which didn't come with recovery disks, but a
    > recovery partition. I requested a set of recovery disks be sent to me, so
    > now I have part of my hard drive partitioned off for something I don't

    need.
    > The manual that came with the PC says the recovery partition can be

    removed
    > with a simple tool, but it doesn't say what the tool is or anything.

    So...
    > any ideas? Could I just delete the files?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Denise
    >

    > As some mentioned Partition Magic can do it but if you are running an NT

    OS
    > you can right click on My Computer and then click on Manage. From there
    > click on Disk Management and right click on the blue bar on the partition
    > you want to work with. This will give you several options which may or

    may
    > not be what you want but is much cheaper than purchasing PM.
    >
    > Roger

    Hi Roger

    I am interested by your suggestion but cannot find 'editing' style options
    for partition resizing etc. in the place you said. Please speak to me like I
    am an idiot :) I have a linux partition I want to get rid of.

    Graham, Jan 25, 2004
  10. Denise

    RDS Guest

    "Denise" <> wrote in message

    "RDS" wrote:
    > As some mentioned Partition Magic can do it but if you are running an NT

    OS you can right click on My Computer and then click on Manage. From there
    click on Disk Management and right click on the blue bar on the partition
    you want to work with. This will give you several options which may or may
    not be what you want but is much cheaper than purchasing PM.

    Thank you all for your replies; I am looking into all the suggestions, but I
    have a question about this particular one. It gives me several options, as
    you said it would. But in looking around on the disk management dialog, I
    noticed that the recovery partition has a different file system than the
    other partition; the recovery section is FAT32 and the rest of the drive is
    NTFS. So if I were to choose this option, would I need to Format the
    partition, or just delete it altogether?

    Bumbling around and not ashamed to admit it (though I probably should be),

    Denise

    Denise,
    You can delete the partition, add the partion back, and then format it
    however you wish. You must keep in mind that the NT partitions can read a
    FAT32 partition but a FAT32 cannot read an NT partition!!!!!!!!!!!! A good
    example is an emergency boot disk for Windows 95B, 98, or ME. Since you
    have aquired the CDs for recovery that may not matter to you. Should you
    need to run the recovery CDs it will put everything back in the state it is
    in now, as mentioned in an earlier posting.

    That being said, the easiest way I know to get ride of the recovery
    partition information is to just format it within the disk management
    console. If you are wanting to add the recovery partition back to another
    partition you can do that as well but I will not cover that here because it
    is to indept and not for those with limited knowledge. You must read and
    understand every menu that is presented to you before proceding. If you do
    not CLEARLY understand it DO NOT do it!

    Roger

    RDS, Jan 25, 2004
  11. Denise

    RDS Guest

    "Graham" <> wrote in message

    "RDS" <> wrote in message

    > "Denise" <> wrote in message
    > I just bought a new HP, which didn't come with recovery disks, but a
    > recovery partition. I requested a set of recovery disks be sent to me, so
    > now I have part of my hard drive partitioned off for something I don't

    need.
    > The manual that came with the PC says the recovery partition can be

    removed
    > with a simple tool, but it doesn't say what the tool is or anything.

    So...
    > any ideas? Could I just delete the files?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Denise
    >

    > As some mentioned Partition Magic can do it but if you are running an NT

    OS
    > you can right click on My Computer and then click on Manage. From there
    > click on Disk Management and right click on the blue bar on the partition
    > you want to work with. This will give you several options which may or

    may
    > not be what you want but is much cheaper than purchasing PM.
    >
    > Roger

    Hi Roger

    I am interested by your suggestion but cannot find 'editing' style options
    for partition resizing etc. in the place you said. Please speak to me like I
    am an idiot :) I have a linux partition I want to get rid of.

    Graham,

    If you do not have the options I mentioned chances are your Windows 2000 or
    XP installation is on a FAT 32 partition and these options are not
    available. You must convert the boot partition to NT. You can find the
    information on how to do this in Help. A word of CAUTION. Proceed with
    extreme care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another note is you may need to boot with a
    Windows 98 EBD and run FDISK to delete the Linux partition before you can do
    anything within Windows. If you are not familiar with FDISK then you do NOT
    proceed. Contact a professional for help. Another word of CAUTION! A
    professional is not someone's bud who seems to know computers real good!!!!

    I got into this business because I was very frustrated with the so-called
    technicians a name brand company would send out to work on your PC(s) and
    would leave it in worse shape than when they started. I started working on
    computers and did a mountain of reading and research then attended classes.
    Finally, I have numerous professional certifications and years of
    experience. Today, the certification exam has changed and many memorize the
    data to pass the exams but cannot actually do the work. Be very careful
    whom you get to help. Continue to ask questions and study and you to, will
    get there!

    Deleting or formatting a partition within an NT OS using the Disk Management
    Console is very easy. Sizing a partition is easy as well but adding that
    space to another partition can be done but is too risky for someone with the
    limited knowledge you speak of having. I suggest you take a course at your
    local community college or buy a good book and be sure you FULLY understand
    it before proceeding.

    Final word of CAUTION! Backup,Backup, Backup all your important
    data!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Roger

    RDS, Jan 25, 2004
  12. Denise

    kiwigirls Guest

    Denise, contact your HP tech support!

    They have an o88 number around the world!
    Shirley

    kiwigirls, Jan 26, 2004
  13. Denise

    Denise Guest

    "kiwigirls" wrote:
    > Denise, contact your HP tech support!
    >
    > They have an o88 number around the world!

    I tried that one night trying to figure out which model of motherboard I
    have; the, ahem... gentleman (I use the term loosely) on the phone was
    rather a bit rude and very unhelpful. I realize I'm not anything NEAR a
    computer expert, but if they put BIOS update downloads on the website for a
    computer that was manufactured within the last 3 months or so, wouldn't you
    reason there's a need for it somewhere, somehow? I updated the BIOS on my
    old computer, my mom's present computer, and my sis' present computer with
    no problems at all, and I have no doubt I'd have been able to do that with
    this one, only the site has two different downloads and says you need a
    specific one depending on what motherboard you have. It then goes into how
    you figure out how, it involves your serial number, some letters and
    numbers, and mine didn't match either requirement. So I called and got
    talked down to like I'm a raving idiot, which I'm not. Made me want to get
    my money back and buy a Dell or something.

    Sorry, totally didn't mean to go off on that rant, but it made me so
    angry....

    Denise, off on a tangent and in desperate need of some sleep. ;)

    Denise, Jan 27, 2004
  14. Denise

    Jan Ras Guest

    "Denise" <> schreef in bericht

    > "kiwigirls" wrote:
    > > Denise, contact your HP tech support!
    > >
    > > They have an o88 number around the world!

    > I tried that one night trying to figure out which model of motherboard I
    > have; the, ahem... gentleman (I use the term loosely) on the phone was
    > rather a bit rude and very unhelpful. I realize I'm not anything NEAR a
    > computer expert, but if they put BIOS update downloads on the website for

    > computer that was manufactured within the last 3 months or so, wouldn't

    you
    > reason there's a need for it somewhere, somehow? I updated the BIOS on my
    > old computer, my mom's present computer, and my sis' present computer with
    > no problems at all, and I have no doubt I'd have been able to do that with
    > this one, only the site has two different downloads and says you need a
    > specific one depending on what motherboard you have. It then goes into

    how
    > you figure out how, it involves your serial number, some letters and
    > numbers, and mine didn't match either requirement. So I called and got
    > talked down to like I'm a raving idiot, which I'm not. Made me want to

    get
    > my money back and buy a Dell or something.
    >
    > Sorry, totally didn't mean to go off on that rant, but it made me so
    > angry....
    >
    > Denise, off on a tangent and in desperate need of some sleep. ;)

    Try this one, it should give you at least a superficial overview of your
    system.
    http://www.belarc.com/

    Jan Ras, Jan 27, 2004
  15. Denise

    Jan Ras Guest

    "Jan Ras" <> schreef in bericht

    > "Denise" <> schreef in bericht
    > >
    > > "kiwigirls" wrote:
    > > > Denise, contact your HP tech support!
    > > >
    > > > They have an o88 number around the world!

    > > I tried that one night trying to figure out which model of motherboard I
    > > have; the, ahem... gentleman (I use the term loosely) on the phone was
    > > rather a bit rude and very unhelpful. I realize I'm not anything NEAR a
    > > computer expert, but if they put BIOS update downloads on the website

    for
    > > computer that was manufactured within the last 3 months or so, wouldn't

    > you
    > > reason there's a need for it somewhere, somehow? I updated the BIOS on

    my
    > > old computer, my mom's present computer, and my sis' present computer

    with
    > > no problems at all, and I have no doubt I'd have been able to do that

    with
    > > this one, only the site has two different downloads and says you need a
    > > specific one depending on what motherboard you have. It then goes into

    > how
    > > you figure out how, it involves your serial number, some letters and
    > > numbers, and mine didn't match either requirement. So I called and got
    > > talked down to like I'm a raving idiot, which I'm not. Made me want to

    > get
    > > my money back and buy a Dell or something.
    > >
    > > Sorry, totally didn't mean to go off on that rant, but it made me so
    > > angry....
    > >
    > > Denise, off on a tangent and in desperate need of some sleep. ;)
    > >

    > Try this one, it should give you at least a superficial overview of your
    > system.
    > http://www.belarc.com/

    Sorry forgot to mention, download the free °belarc advisor° from

    Jan Ras, Jan 27, 2004