Any help offered for a disabled person ?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Chris Suckling, Sep 13, 2006.

  1. I have been sent an email by someone is who is disabled and knows very
    little about computers, if there is anyone here that can provide her with
    the help she requires it would be most helpful, i will be passing on the
    messages to her.....

    Hi all Techies or super-users:

    I have some with:

    E Machine270
    1.70 GHz
    40GB
    56k Fax Modem
    128MB DDR

    But seems to have died - power cable seems ok. No led to keyboad.
    Probably motherboard or possible connection issue?

    Any web site/s or really experince on these PC would be a help to
    bring it back to life for a disabled user.

    Many Thanks
    Chris Suckling, Sep 13, 2006

  2. Chris Suckling

    Tee Jay Guest

    Chris Suckling wrote:
    > I have been sent an email by someone is who is disabled and knows very
    > little about computers, if there is anyone here that can provide her with
    > the help she requires it would be most helpful, i will be passing on the
    > messages to her.....
    >
    > Hi all Techies or super-users:
    >
    > I have some with:
    >
    > E Machine270
    > 1.70 GHz
    > 40GB
    > 56k Fax Modem
    > 128MB DDR
    >
    > But seems to have died - power cable seems ok. No led to keyboad.
    > Probably motherboard or possible connection issue?
    >
    > Any web site/s or really experince on these PC would be a help to
    > bring it back to life for a disabled user.
    >
    > Many Thanks

    E Machines are known to have poor power supplies. I have replaced many
    over the years. Just make sure it takes an atx supply and it is an easy
    switch. Beware, sometimes they require a proprietorial supply. That is
    an older machine and bottom line machines are very cheap now days. I
    would not throw too much money at that machine.
    Tee Jay
    Tee Jay, Sep 13, 2006

  3. Chris Suckling

    grappletech Guest

    Tee Jay <> wrote in

    > Chris Suckling wrote:
    >> I have been sent an email by someone is who is disabled and knows
    >> very little about computers, if there is anyone here that can provide
    >> her with the help she requires it would be most helpful, i will be
    >> passing on the messages to her.....
    >>
    >> Hi all Techies or super-users:
    >>
    >> I have some with:
    >>
    >> E Machine270
    >> 1.70 GHz
    >> 40GB
    >> 56k Fax Modem
    >> 128MB DDR
    >>
    >> But seems to have died - power cable seems ok. No led to keyboad.
    >> Probably motherboard or possible connection issue?
    >>
    >> Any web site/s or really experince on these PC would be a help to
    >> bring it back to life for a disabled user.
    >>
    >> Many Thanks
    >>

    > E Machines are known to have poor power supplies. I have replaced many
    > over the years. Just make sure it takes an atx supply and it is an
    > easy switch. Beware, sometimes they require a proprietorial supply.
    > That is an older machine and bottom line machines are very cheap now
    > days. I would not throw too much money at that machine.
    > Tee Jay

    The 1.7 CPU the person has should be enough for them if they're just
    surfing the web, playing older games, etc.. It'll be about $50 plus $50 or
    so to have a new PS put in -- total of about $100. Also, I'd definitely
    recommend more RAM. More RAM would make it run a lot faster and would
    prevent needing a faster system perhaps. 128mb RAM is way too little.
    Could get 512MB RAM for $50 or so. Watch the costs, though. For $150-
    $200, one could buy a better PC -- one with about 1.7-2.0 gigahertz CPU,
    512mb RAM, etc. from a better manufacturer like Dell, HP, etc..

    grappletech, Sep 13, 2006