    Anyone know what they are or if there are other companies supporting
    ..wma pro?

    Thanks
    Muze Groops, Jul 17, 2007

  2. Muze Groops wrote:
    > I read that certain Toshiba Gigabeat models support wma professtional
    > but I can't find info anywhere to find out which models these are.
    >
    > Anyone know what they are or if there are other companies supporting
    > .wma pro?

    According to this Wikipedia article, "certain Toshiba Gigabeat" models
    will play this format. Yet when I look for specific info I run into the
    same problem you're having:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Audio

    According to this article, the "S" model closely integrates Windows
    Media Player 11, so that may be the one.
    http://www.answers.com/topic/gigabeat

    Also, Microsoft's Zune seems to support that format.
    You may have to call Toshiba's tech support people and ask which models.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 17, 2007

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 17, 2007
  4. Muze Groops

    Muze Groops Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > Muze Groops wrote:
    >> I read that certain Toshiba Gigabeat models support wma professtional
    >> but I can't find info anywhere to find out which models these are.
    >>
    >> Anyone know what they are or if there are other companies supporting
    >> .wma pro?

    > According to this Wikipedia article, "certain Toshiba Gigabeat" models
    > will play this format. Yet when I look for specific info I run into the
    > same problem you're having:
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Audio
    >
    > According to this article, the "S" model closely integrates Windows
    > Media Player 11, so that may be the one.
    > http://www.answers.com/topic/gigabeat
    >
    > Also, Microsoft's Zune seems to support that format.
    > You may have to call Toshiba's tech support people and ask which models.

    I'm curious also, if I rip a CD in .wma pro, will it still play in a mp3
    player that supports just .wma in general? Will it play, but not come
    out as a 'pro' level sound, but rather the regular ".wma codec sound"?

    The sound of .wma pro through WMP11 is great but I'm afraid that when I
    finally buy an mp3 player (maybe a cheap one that doesn't play the pro
    codec) I'll end up with no sound or some other mishap. Any thoughts on this?

    Thanks again

    Thanks
    Muze Groops, Jul 17, 2007
  5. Muze Groops

    ded Guest

    "Muze Groops" <> wrote in message
    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >> Muze Groops wrote:
    >>> I read that certain Toshiba Gigabeat models support wma professtional
    >>> but I can't find info anywhere to find out which models these are.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know what they are or if there are other companies supporting
    >>> .wma pro?

    >> According to this Wikipedia article, "certain Toshiba Gigabeat" models
    >> will play this format. Yet when I look for specific info I run into the
    >> same problem you're having:
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Audio
    >>
    >> According to this article, the "S" model closely integrates Windows Media
    >> Player 11, so that may be the one.
    >> http://www.answers.com/topic/gigabeat
    >>
    >> Also, Microsoft's Zune seems to support that format.
    >> You may have to call Toshiba's tech support people and ask which models.

    > I'm curious also, if I rip a CD in .wma pro, will it still play in a mp3
    > player that supports just .wma in general? Will it play, but not come out
    > as a 'pro' level sound, but rather the regular ".wma codec sound"?
    >
    > The sound of .wma pro through WMP11 is great but I'm afraid that when I
    > finally buy an mp3 player (maybe a cheap one that doesn't play the pro
    > codec) I'll end up with no sound or some other mishap. Any thoughts on
    > this?
    >
    > Thanks again
    >
    > Thanks

    No.
    Primarily wma pro is to provide THX 5.1 at 48khz (Xbox etc)
    wma pro compression is similar to, and same results as Dolby Digital.
    With 2 channel wma pro content, extenders, standalone and
    portable devices must state they are "windows media audio
    professional" capable or you will just receive an error.
    Windows media encoder can re-encode and send as wma, but
    it is no longer wma pro.
    ded, Jul 17, 2007
  6. Muze Groops wrote:
    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >
    >> Muze Groops wrote:
    >>
    >>> I read that certain Toshiba Gigabeat models support wma professtional
    >>> but I can't find info anywhere to find out which models these are.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know what they are or if there are other companies supporting
    >>> .wma pro?

    >> According to this Wikipedia article, "certain Toshiba Gigabeat" models
    >> will play this format. Yet when I look for specific info I run into
    >> the same problem you're having:
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Audio
    >>
    >> According to this article, the "S" model closely integrates Windows
    >> Media Player 11, so that may be the one.
    >> http://www.answers.com/topic/gigabeat
    >>
    >> Also, Microsoft's Zune seems to support that format.
    >> You may have to call Toshiba's tech support people and ask which models.

    > I'm curious also, if I rip a CD in .wma pro, will it still play in a mp3
    > player that supports just .wma in general? Will it play, but not come
    > out as a 'pro' level sound, but rather the regular ".wma codec sound"?
    >
    > The sound of .wma pro through WMP11 is great but I'm afraid that when I
    > finally buy an mp3 player (maybe a cheap one that doesn't play the pro
    > codec) I'll end up with no sound or some other mishap. Any thoughts on
    > this?

    I don't know the answer, but this article from:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/codecs/audio.aspx
    seems to suggest the WMA Pro files are meant to be compatible with
    lesser players.

    "If a user tries to play back a file that was encoded using the 5.1
    channel, 24-bit, 96 kHz sampling capabilities, but does not have a
    system or sound card that supports multi-channel or high-resolution
    sound, multiple channels are combined into stereo audio (for example,
    16-bit, two channel audio), ensuring that users get the best playback
    experience their systems can provide."
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 17, 2007
  7. Muze Groops

    Muze Groops Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > Muze Groops wrote:
    >> Rôgêr wrote:

    >>> According to this Wikipedia article, "certain Toshiba Gigabeat"
    >>> models will play this format. Yet when I look for specific info I run
    >>> into the same problem you're having:
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Audio
    >>>
    >>> According to this article, the "S" model closely integrates Windows
    >>> Media Player 11, so that may be the one.
    >>> http://www.answers.com/topic/gigabeat
    >>>
    >>> Also, Microsoft's Zune seems to support that format.
    >>> You may have to call Toshiba's tech support people and ask which models.

    >> I'm curious also, if I rip a CD in .wma pro, will it still play in a
    >> mp3 player that supports just .wma in general? Will it play, but not
    >> come out as a 'pro' level sound, but rather the regular ".wma codec
    >> sound"?
    >>
    >> The sound of .wma pro through WMP11 is great but I'm afraid that when
    >> I finally buy an mp3 player (maybe a cheap one that doesn't play the
    >> pro codec) I'll end up with no sound or some other mishap. Any
    >> thoughts on this?

    > I don't know the answer, but this article from:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/codecs/audio.aspx
    > seems to suggest the WMA Pro files are meant to be compatible with
    > lesser players.
    >
    > "If a user tries to play back a file that was encoded using the 5.1
    > channel, 24-bit, 96 kHz sampling capabilities, but does not have a
    > system or sound card that supports multi-channel or high-resolution
    > sound, multiple channels are combined into stereo audio (for example,
    > 16-bit, two channel audio), ensuring that users get the best playback
    > experience their systems can provide."

    I'm not exactly sure, but I *think* they just meant a PC playing back
    the codec. On a PC, you must play back the wma pro file on WMP11 to get
    the 'pro' sound, apparently if I use realplayer, Winamp, etc, they would
    be able to play the pro codec back (but not as good sounding). I'm
    worried about ripping everything in wma pro then getting a Sony walkman
    which supports WMA but then when I try to play the file, I'm afraid I'm
    going to get static... :/
    Muze Groops, Jul 17, 2007
  8. Muze Groops wrote:
    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >
    >> Muze Groops wrote:

    >>> I'm curious also, if I rip a CD in .wma pro, will it still play in a
    >>> mp3 player that supports just .wma in general? Will it play, but not
    >>> come out as a 'pro' level sound, but rather the regular ".wma codec
    >>> sound"?
    >>>
    >>> The sound of .wma pro through WMP11 is great but I'm afraid that when
    >>> I finally buy an mp3 player (maybe a cheap one that doesn't play the
    >>> pro codec) I'll end up with no sound or some other mishap. Any
    >>> thoughts on this?

    >> I don't know the answer, but this article from:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/codecs/audio.aspx
    >> seems to suggest the WMA Pro files are meant to be compatible with
    >> lesser players.
    >>
    >> "If a user tries to play back a file that was encoded using the 5.1
    >> channel, 24-bit, 96 kHz sampling capabilities, but does not have a
    >> system or sound card that supports multi-channel or high-resolution
    >> sound, multiple channels are combined into stereo audio (for example,
    >> 16-bit, two channel audio), ensuring that users get the best playback
    >> experience their systems can provide."

    > I'm not exactly sure, but I *think* they just meant a PC playing back
    > the codec. On a PC, you must play back the wma pro file on WMP11 to get
    > the 'pro' sound, apparently if I use realplayer, Winamp, etc, they would
    > be able to play the pro codec back (but not as good sounding). I'm
    > worried about ripping everything in wma pro then getting a Sony walkman
    > which supports WMA but then when I try to play the file, I'm afraid I'm
    > going to get static... :/

    The rest of the world seems pretty happy and relaxed with MP3's. As a
    former audiophile (someday I'll tell you about my stereo) I understand
    the desire for finest quality, but you get into the realm of diminishing
    returns for time/effort spent for that last little extra bit of realism.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 17, 2007
  9. Muze Groops

    Muze Groops Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > Muze Groops wrote:
    >> Rôgêr wrote:

    >>> I don't know the answer, but this article from:
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/codecs/audio.aspx
    >>> seems to suggest the WMA Pro files are meant to be compatible with
    >>> lesser players.
    >>>
    >>> "If a user tries to play back a file that was encoded using the 5.1
    >>> channel, 24-bit, 96 kHz sampling capabilities, but does not have a
    >>> system or sound card that supports multi-channel or high-resolution
    >>> sound, multiple channels are combined into stereo audio (for example,
    >>> 16-bit, two channel audio), ensuring that users get the best playback
    >>> experience their systems can provide."

    >> I'm not exactly sure, but I *think* they just meant a PC playing back
    >> the codec. On a PC, you must play back the wma pro file on WMP11 to
    >> get the 'pro' sound, apparently if I use realplayer, Winamp, etc, they
    >> would be able to play the pro codec back (but not as good sounding).
    >> I'm worried about ripping everything in wma pro then getting a Sony
    >> walkman which supports WMA but then when I try to play the file, I'm
    >> afraid I'm going to get static... :/

    > The rest of the world seems pretty happy and relaxed with MP3's. As a
    > former audiophile (someday I'll tell you about my stereo) I understand
    > the desire for finest quality, but you get into the realm of diminishing
    > returns for time/effort spent for that last little extra bit of realism.

    "but you get into the realm of diminishing returns for time/effort spent
    for that last little extra bit of realism. "

    spoken like a true Zen master, best answer I think I could ever get.
    Muze Groops, Jul 20, 2007