Any good web resources on how to use a digital camera?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Joe, Jul 6, 2004.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Any good web resources on how to use a digital camera?

    I just purchased a Canon PowerShot S1 IS.

    This is the first camera I have ever used that has any features beyond
    basics and point and shoot capability. There is so much to know and I
    expect the learning curve will be very steep. I can see that trying to
    get good shots is a lot of work. I have actually read the manual. I
    expect taking good pics is more than just framing a good shot but the
    settings need to be correct. I have been using the auto mode mostly
    and have been "playing around" with the oter modes and pretty much
    just getting used to the controls. I have been identifying the
    functions of the 16 buttons, knobs, dials, etc. and how they effect
    the camera.

    What I am looking for is web resource that has a basic primmer on how
    to adjust ISO, aperture and shutter speed with digital cameras and
    when to make those adjustments. I have tried to search and all I come
    up with are advertisements.

    If anyone knows where the good web information resources are on using
    and adjusting digital cameras for the variety of shots, the
    information would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    Joe

    BTW, I have been taking it with me everywhere I go.

    Joe, Jul 6, 2004

  2. Joe

    Jeff Durham Guest

    Here is Canon's tutorial that applies mainly to their DSLRs. There are some
    good concepts outlined though that might be applicable to your camera.

    Jeff

    Jeff Durham, Jul 6, 2004

  3. Joe

    Bob Guest

    Bob, Jul 6, 2004
  4. Joe

    Renee Guest

    "Jeff Durham" <> wrote in message
    > Here is Canon's tutorial that applies mainly to their DSLRs. There are

    some
    > good concepts outlined though that might be applicable to your camera.
    >
    > Jeff
    >

    > "Joe" <> wrote in message
    > > Any good web resources on how to use a digital camera?
    > >
    > > I just purchased a Canon PowerShot S1 IS.
    > >
    > > This is the first camera I have ever used that has any features beyond
    > > basics and point and shoot capability. There is so much to know and I
    > > expect the learning curve will be very steep. I can see that trying to
    > > get good shots is a lot of work. I have actually read the manual. I
    > > expect taking good pics is more than just framing a good shot but the
    > > settings need to be correct. I have been using the auto mode mostly
    > > and have been "playing around" with the oter modes and pretty much
    > > just getting used to the controls. I have been identifying the
    > > functions of the 16 buttons, knobs, dials, etc. and how they effect
    > > the camera.
    > >
    > > What I am looking for is web resource that has a basic primmer on how
    > > to adjust ISO, aperture and shutter speed with digital cameras and
    > > when to make those adjustments. I have tried to search and all I come
    > > up with are advertisements.
    > >
    > > If anyone knows where the good web information resources are on using
    > > and adjusting digital cameras for the variety of shots, the
    > > information would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Joe
    > >
    > > BTW, I have been taking it with me everywhere I go.

    (My newsreader didn't download Joe's original message so I have to reply to
    Jeff's.)

    Hi Joe,

    Here's my short answer . . .

    .. . . some sites I had bookmarked. Maybe some other posters will have more.

    http://www.shortcourses.com/ Be sure to look at Short Course #3 and #8
    (probably Canon S series ones; the S1 is not listed)
    http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/ Good even though it's for Nikon
    cameras
    http://www.webphotoschool.com/newschool/dealer/default.asp?dealer=warehousephoto
    Good even though it's for Olympus cameras

    Then again, here's my long answer . . .

    Most of my pictures can be easily taken in automatic mode. It's only when I
    want to try something more creative that I start messing around with the
    settings. Many of the image zone settings on the dial can be tried first
    when a tutorial recommends that a manual setting is suggested. For example,
    to freeze a moving subject, try the dial on fast shutter. To blur a subject
    like moving water, try the dial on slow shutter. To blur the background on a
    portrait shot (smaller depth of field), try the dial on portrait. Etc. If
    you don't like how they're coming out using the dial or want to alter the
    results, then try playing around with aperture priority, shutter priority,
    etc. I find it helpful to see all the changes with different settings in the
    EXIF data using ZoomBrowser.

    Here's some notes I culled from a few digital photography books (and my
    Canon guide). The books are a better way to go than the web sites because
    they're usually all-inclusive -- though my notes are not. I printed these
    out in booklet form with my word processor, and carry them in my camera bag
    with my camera user guide.

    ============================

    Slow Synchro Flash
    * Brighten up dark backgrounds at night
    * Brighten up dark backgrounds indoors

    Adjust shutter speed or aperture
    * Adjust when image is under- or over-exposed and correct exposure cannot
    be obtained
    * For special effects

    Faster shutter speed
    * Still image of moving object

    Slower shutter speed
    * Flowing effect of moving object
    * Shoot without flash in dark areas
    * Produces more noise

    Lower aperture value / F/stop
    * Wider aperture
    * Fades background for portrait
    * Smaller depth of field

    Adjust exposure
    * To avoid making subject too dark when it's backlit
    * When subject is shot against bright background
    * For especially bright subject like snow or sand
    * When scene is bright or darker than normal

    Increase ISO speed
    * To shoot bright images in poor lighting conditions
    * Convenient when you want to
    1. Prevent camera shake
    2. Shoot without a flash in dark conditions
    3. Shoot with faster shutter speed in dark conditions
    * Higher ISO speeds increase noise

    Locks
    * AE Lock - Exposure setting
    * FE Lock - Flash exposure setting
    * AF Lock - Auto-focus lock

    Exposure problems corrected by:
    * Use exposure compensation - EV control
    * Switch light metering modes
    * Use exposure lock - AE lock

    Lock the Exposure - AE Lock
    * When contrast is too strong between subject and background
    * When subject is backlit

    Light metering modes
    * Evaluative light metering / matrix meter
    - Consists of zones
    - Good for backlit conditions and general photography
    - Use most of the time
    * Center-weighted averaging
    - Averages entire image with more weight on subject in center
    * Spot AE point
    - Use when other two metering methods fail you
    Center: Locks spot metering frame to center of LCD
    AF Point: Locks AE point to AF frame
    - Typically would take poor highly under- or over-exposed photos
    - Use when you must expose a small subject properly and it's lighting is
    very different from the rest of the scene

    Light metering modes, especially spot meter, best used in conjunction with
    exposure AE lock

    Prevent silhouettes in backlit subject scenes
    * Overexpose by 1 1/2 - 2 F/stops, or
    * Take selective meter reading, or
    * Use center-weighted average metering, then
    Fill viewfinder with shadowy side of subject, then
    Lock it in, then
    Move back, focus and shoot.

    To create silhouettes
    * Expose for background alone so foreground objects are recorded as dark
    or black

    Sunsets
    * Underexpose the scene by at least -1 stop to saturate colors

    Renee

    Renee, Jul 6, 2004
  5. Joe

    Jeff Durham Guest

    Thanks for adding that link. I had went to the website to make sure the
    information was correct for the URL and never copied it into my reply. Doh!

    Jeff

    Jeff Durham, Jul 6, 2004
  6. Joe

    Jeff Durham Guest

    One other website that has some high level interesting articles is
    http://photos.msn.com/.

    Jeff

    Jeff Durham, Jul 6, 2004
  7. Joe

    Steve Hix Guest

    In article <>,
    Joe <> wrote:

    > Any good web resources on how to use a digital camera?
    >
    > I just purchased a Canon PowerShot S1 IS.
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > What I am looking for is web resource that has a basic primmer on how
    > to adjust ISO, aperture and shutter speed with digital cameras and
    > when to make those adjustments. I have tried to search and all I come
    > up with are advertisements.

    Read your camera's owner's manual.

    Control placement and operation are specific to each camera type.

    > If anyone knows where the good web information resources are on using
    > and adjusting digital cameras for the variety of shots, the
    > information would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Joe
    >
    > BTW, I have been taking it with me everywhere I go.

    Good. Take lots of pictures, examine the results, and adjust your
    procedure accordingly.

    Basically the same process as with film cameras, but with lower cost and
    quicker feedback.

    Steve Hix, Jul 7, 2004
  8. Joe

    Ron Risman Guest

    Hi,

    http://www.cameratown.com has articles and how-to guides on digital cameras.

    Ron
    Cameratown.com

    Ron Risman, Jul 7, 2004
  9. Joe

    Joe Guest

    To all that answered

    Thanks for the information and resources. I have checked out the web
    sites and read the tips.

    Very Helpful.

    Thanks

    Joe