    movies/boxsets/etc. But so far, zilch.

    Anyone seen any good clearance sales on the yet?

    , Mar 5, 2008

  2. T.B. Guest

    wrote:

    >I would have expected to start seeing to good HD-DVD clearance sales
    > by now. I was really hoping to see some bargains out there on some
    > movies/boxsets/etc. But so far, zilch.
    >
    > Anyone seen any good clearance sales on the yet?

    Best Buy currently has a 30% off retail on all titles and hardware. Some of
    their older players are heavily discounted far beyond 30%. Not a great deal
    overall, but obviously a start. DVD Planet which is local to me has been
    selling used HD-DVD (and a few BR) titles for about $10 - $15 but they have
    yet to discount their new stock. It also appears some chains are simply
    returning discs and hardware and not bothering to sell at a discount to move
    merchandise. Several Virgin Music stores in my area recently completely
    cleared out all their HD-DVD stock from shelves over a weekend without
    bothering to discount sell them.

    T.B.

    T.B., Mar 5, 2008

  3. Bob Bohling Guest

    Saw Costco was getting rid of the remaining Toshiba players for $99

    Bob Bohling, Mar 5, 2008
  4. Tarkus Guest

    wrote:
    > I would have expected to start seeing to good HD-DVD clearance sales
    > by now. I was really hoping to see some bargains out there on some
    > movies/boxsets/etc. But so far, zilch.
    >
    > Anyone seen any good clearance sales on the yet?

    Why bother? Toshiba is now saying upconversion of regular DVDs is
    virtually the same as HD DVD.

    Tarkus, Mar 5, 2008
  5. On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 08:57:04 -0800, "T.B." <>
    wrote:

    >Best Buy currently has a 30% off retail on all titles and hardware.

    Whoopie fucking doo. Since they originally mark everything at MSRP,
    which only they, Circuit City and the like do, 30% off that doesn't even
    beat Amazon.

    UltimatePatriot, Mar 5, 2008
  6. skip Guest

    "Bob Bohling" <> wrote in

    > Saw Costco was getting rid of the remaining Toshiba players for $99

    Great deAl the upconverting is super on those machines

    skip, Mar 5, 2008
  7. I have seen nothing on sale for HD-DVDs but players have dropped in
    value a bit and come with 7 free HD-DVDs. Stuff they could sell if
    they tried!

    Al

    Alfred Kaufmann, Mar 5, 2008
  8. On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 08:57:04 -0800, "T.B." <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >>I would have expected to start seeing to good HD-DVD clearance sales
    >> by now. I was really hoping to see some bargains out there on some
    >> movies/boxsets/etc. But so far, zilch.
    >>
    >> Anyone seen any good clearance sales on the yet?

    >Best Buy currently has a 30% off retail on all titles and hardware. Some of
    >their older players are heavily discounted far beyond 30%. Not a great deal
    >overall, but obviously a start. DVD Planet which is local to me has been
    >selling used HD-DVD (and a few BR) titles for about $10 - $15 but they have
    >yet to discount their new stock. It also appears some chains are simply
    >returning discs and hardware and not bothering to sell at a discount to move
    >merchandise. Several Virgin Music stores in my area recently completely
    >cleared out all their HD-DVD stock from shelves over a weekend without
    >bothering to discount sell them.
    >
    >T.B.

    Samer thing happened at A&B Sound here. I guess they can get more
    money returning them than selling them.

    Al

    Alfred Kaufmann, Mar 5, 2008
  9. On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 09:11:38 -0800, Tarkus
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> I would have expected to start seeing to good HD-DVD clearance sales
    >> by now. I was really hoping to see some bargains out there on some
    >> movies/boxsets/etc. But so far, zilch.
    >>
    >> Anyone seen any good clearance sales on the yet?

    >Why bother? Toshiba is now saying upconversion of regular DVDs is
    >virtually the same as HD DVD.

    Of course if that is true, we were scammed paying for high definition
    dvds!

    Al

    Alfred Kaufmann, Mar 5, 2008
  10. Jim Reid Guest

    Movie Trading Company in Dallas (owned by Blockbuster) is selling all
    their HD DVD movies for 14.99. They don't have much of a stock and no
    box sets. I had a big credit with them a while back and tried to get
    them to order the Harry Potter box set for me, but they never would.

    Jim Reid, Mar 5, 2008
  11. GMAN Guest

    In article <Xns9A5869EE2B749sky@207.115.33.102>, skip <skip[@nospam.com> wrote:
    >"Bob Bohling" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Saw Costco was getting rid of the remaining Toshiba players for $99
    >>

    >Great deAl the upconverting is super on those machines

    You mean the SUC technology?

    GMAN, Mar 5, 2008
  12. Tarkus Guest

    skip wrote:
    > "Bob Bohling" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Saw Costco was getting rid of the remaining Toshiba players for $99

    > Great deAl the upconverting is super on those machines

    Not just super, but virtually the same as HD-DVD, according to the CEO
    who tried to push the latter on you.

    Tarkus, Mar 5, 2008
  13. Tarkus Guest

    Alfred Kaufmann wrote:
    > On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 09:11:38 -0800, Tarkus
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>> I would have expected to start seeing to good HD-DVD clearance sales
    >>> by now. I was really hoping to see some bargains out there on some
    >>> movies/boxsets/etc. But so far, zilch.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone seen any good clearance sales on the yet?

    >> Why bother? Toshiba is now saying upconversion of regular DVDs is
    >> virtually the same as HD DVD.

    > Of course if that is true, we were scammed paying for high definition
    > dvds!

    Thank you, Captain Obvious.

    To be even more obvious, I'm guessing Toshiba's CEO wouldn't be saying
    that if HD-DVD won the HD format war.

    Tarkus, Mar 5, 2008
  14. Tarkus Guest

    GMAN wrote:
    > In article <Xns9A5869EE2B749sky@207.115.33.102>, skip <skip[@nospam.com> wrote:
    >> "Bob Bohling" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Saw Costco was getting rid of the remaining Toshiba players for $99
    >>>

    >> Great deAl the upconverting is super on those machines

    > You mean the SUC technology?

    LMAO!

    Tarkus, Mar 5, 2008
  15. kaboom Guest

    On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 07:36:31 -0800 (PST), wrote:

    >I would have expected to start seeing to good HD-DVD clearance sales
    >by now. I was really hoping to see some bargains out there on some
    >movies/boxsets/etc. But so far, zilch.
    >
    >Anyone seen any good clearance sales on the yet?

    **I've noticed some HD-DVD sales discussed in the Bargain section of
    the dvdtalk forums.

    http://forum.dvdtalk.com/index.php

    kaboomie

    kaboom, Mar 5, 2008
  16. GMAN Guest

    In article <>, wrote:
    >GMAN wrote:
    >> In article <Xns9A5869EE2B749sky@207.115.33.102>, skip <skip[@nospam.com>

    > wrote:
    >>> "Bob Bohling" <> wrote in

    >>> Great deAl the upconverting is super on those machines

    >> You mean the SUC technology?

    >LMAO!

    Grin

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMoFQI5TTzY

    GMAN, Mar 5, 2008
  17. Guest

    On Mar 5, 12:11 pm, Tarkus <> wrote:

    > Why bother?  Toshiba is now saying upconversion of regular DVDs is
    > virtually the same as HD DVD.

    I hear they hired Jesus to come down to earth and create a chip that
    miraculously adds extra resolution to NTSC standard definition DVD's.

    , Mar 6, 2008
  18. Guest

    On Mar 5, 2:08 pm, Alfred Kaufmann <> wrote:

    >  I guess they can get more
    > money returning them than selling them.

    Makes me wonder what happens when they get returned. Surely they're
    not going to just landfill them all, I hope. There are plenty of us
    out here looking to give those little discs a good home. But I'm damn
    sure not going to pay anywhere close to the previous retail price for
    them, with the format officially dead.

    -Eric

    , Mar 6, 2008